Sunday 30 August 2015

A Postcard a Day 30 August 2015 Florence, fig chutney

Good morning! Good Sunday!
Are you having a good weekend? We have been super busy. Yesterday we picked figs (see yesterday's blog) and today I have made a fig and onion chutney. Graham found a recipe by Nigel Slater on the internet:Dark and sticky fig chutney.
I chopped up the figs (a kilo), a huge onion, found some nice juicy raisins and got out my favorite pan and off I went.
Added brown sugar and cider vinegar, plus spices like allspice, coriander seeds and peppercorns. Let it bubble away while we had lunch. I'd also sterilized some jars and voila three jars of yummy chutney.

 Now for my postcard of today: 
It is the Duomo in Firenze (Florence in English).
I've actually been to Florence and this cathedral is truly magnificent. The build was started in 1296 and finished in 1436. Several architects and master builders have worked on the building project. The construction was halted on several occasions. One of them was caused by the Black Death (the plague) which killed most of the builders. The dome was a real feat in those days. Not only is it clever but I believe the white marble panels on the exterior are really beautiful. If you ever have the opportunity to go to Florence, do go.

That's it from me for today,

So, thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed seeing what I've been up to. I hope you'll come back and visit again tomorrow.

Blessings,

Lisca

1 comment:

  1. THe chutney looks fabulous! Loving all your home made goodness....& We went to Firenze for a week & adored it! I climbed the Duomo and the tower next to it....fabulous views:) Brought back very happy memories:):)

    ReplyDelete