Saturday 19 September 2015

A Postcard a Day - Saturday 19 Sept 2015 La Reunion and Red Cross stamp

Good Morning! Good Saturday!
I hope you are having a good weekend. 

Here is my postcard for today:
It was sent by Jean-Mimi from Lyon in France.
The picture is of Ile de la Reunion in the Indian Ocean, a French island. It reads: 'Sunset over the Piton des Neiges (3070m)'.
It lies east of Madagaskar. (see map)
(Map copied from Wikipedia)

The island is an overseas department of France and as such also one of the 27 regions of France. It has about 845000 inhabitants and it is 63 km (39 m) long and 45 km (28m) wide. (Info: Wikipedia)

In July 2015, a flaperon from a Boeing 777 aircraft washed up on the shore of the island. The piece of debris was initially confirmed by Malaysian authorities to be part of Malaysia Airlines flight 370, which disappeared in March 2014. (also from Wikipedia)

Jean-Mimi has put loads of fun stickers on the card and a special stamp:
I've not been able to find any info about the stamp. It looks like a Red Cross field hospital. And it says 'Lettre verte' which is the second tariff of the French postal system. It is a little cheaper (only a few cents I believe) and it takes a little longer (surface mail in stead of airmail). There is an even cheaper tariff which takes longer still, but I have no idea what means of transport that would use...

That's it for today. I wish everyone a very fine weekend and see you'all tomorrow.

Blessings,

Lisca

1 comment:

mvmaithai said...

Hello!

I'm Eileen T. Thank you for your comment on my Longest Yard Sale post. I wanted to find out more about you, but there was no information, so I went to your first post and went from there. Incidentally, there is "About Me" button that you can add to your page.

I was intrigued by this La Reunion post. A friend is going there for a wedding next year. While reading it, I read about that Malaysian plane. That's the country I'm from. Talk about co-incidences.

Anyway, I'm curious about living in Spain. We love Barcelona and thought about renting a place there one of these days. Do you need to speak Spanish to get around? Can we continue the conversation via email?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Eileen
esthai@yahoo.com

Thanks,