Tuesday 1 June 2021

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 1 June 2021 - T for Russian newspapers and Dutch national costume

 Hello, good morning lovely ladies!

It-s Tuesday again and time for our T-Party! Yes, the famous T-Party hosted by Elizabeth and Bleubeard. All you need to join in the fun is an image of (or even a reference to) a beverage.

That said, I'm going to start off with my postcard for today. This one comes from Russia as you might have guessed. It depicts a newspaper from 1910. That is all I can decipher. 


It was sent to me by Ulyana at the end of March. She writes that the temperature is below freezing where she is and she also draws a little sun, so I assume it is sunny as well.

Let's get to the matter at hand. This is the rice I cooked the other day. It has bacon lardons, onion, bell peppers and sweetcorn. My drink is a Bitter Kas (non alcoholic Campari)

On Sunday morning our drink was rooibos tea (redbush) with scrambled eggs on rye. We don't get any other bread than white around here, so when I found this rye bread in one of the supermarkets, I jumped for joy!

Hubby is on his week of 'rest', meaning he is not taking any chemo pills this week. So we have been out with our friends (and neighbors) for lunch and instead of ordering a dessert, we went to our favoraite ice cream shop.

Eusebio (the owner) makes his own ice cream to traditional recipe. All natural ingredients. He spends the winter (when they are closed) making the cones. They are deliciously biscuity.
This is the outside. I might have shown you this before...

When my husband is having his chemo, he can't have anything cold. It is one of those side effects of this particular chemo therapy. He can't eat or touch anything cold. So ice cream is out of the question. But during his week off, the effects are reduced, so he is so happy he can have his beloved ice cream!


Yesterday, we had a professional plumber roll up as we have ordered a water softening system. In our village we have very hard water, and appliances break down within a couple of years because of the 'kettle stone'. 

This thing will pay for itself in a year's time. 
I had taken everything off the shelves in my pantry thinking I would not be able to get at anything, but look! Plenty of room, so all my items can go back on the shelf.
Now for something completely different. Our Dutch friend down the road had his parents visiting this past week. As we know the parents well, we couldn't wait to get together, but had to wait until hubby's rest week. So we finally got together the other day. The village where they come from is called Spakenburg, it is one of the few villages in the Netherlands where people still wear traditional costume. Nowadays only older people do, unfortunately. When our friend's grandmother died, she left all her traditional dress. 
I have permission from my friend's parents, Jan and Maaike to write about grandma, and they have kindly given me a couple of photos of her.

Here she is:
Her name is(was) Lutje Huijgen.

This is what the costume looks like (photo from internet):
And from the back:
Those shoulder parts are starched pieces of material. They are called 'kraplappen'. Oma (grandma) Lutje had many of them. Ladies that have lost a loved one have darker 'kraplappen'. This again is from the internet, just to show you:
My friend Maaike had inherited a lot of those shoulder strips. 


She painstakingly 'de-starched' them, and then sewed them together to make a curtain for her daughter-in-law in Spain.

The red band is also part of the national costume.
You can see Jan (Maaike's husband)'s legs (He is holding up the curtain). The 'kraplappen'  Oma Lutje is wearing in the photo is right at the top. (Sort of Paisley motif).


Of course I had to pose too:

Here is Oma Lutje again. Maaike has made masks from the sleeves. 



She is a clever lady. She has an Instagram page called Eco_Maaike for those who are interested. (In English).

That was it from me today. I hope you enjoyed my ramblings. 
Happy T-Day everyone!
Hugs,
Lisca














16 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Oh wow I would love to have an ice cream cone from that ice cream shop-looks delicious!
I loved that these heirlooms were made into curtains-they can be enjoyed instead of stored away.
Your water softener sounds perfect-we have really hard water too here at the lake house-and will need need a new one soon-one of those things we knew would need to be replaced eventually.
Happy T wishes Kathy

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous post Lisca! Love that postcard, most unusual. Your ice creams look wonderful, so yummy! Glad your hubby can have an ice on hie 'week off'. The curtains are really wonderful, what a fabulous idea, and the photos of the costumes are lovely. Sad that so many traditions are not kept any more. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a beautiful new postcard from Russia, Lisca. And your ice cream cone looks so good, too. I may have to get some, but it won't be as great as your friend's handmade.

You are going to enjoy that water softener. I had one in a previous home and the water was so soft, I only used about 1/4 the amount of body soap and shampoo I do these days. Same for dish/hand soap.

I was impressed with learning about those traditional garments. I learned a lot I didn't know before. It's great that they were made into curtains. Now they are useful again in a different form.

You have been doing some great cooking this week. Not sure what Campari is, but it looks good. Thanks for sharing your postcard, the ice cream parlor, the garments from the Netherlands, and your meal and Campari with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.

Iris Flavia said...

Russian... I have no clue on this but one teamleader once sang it to me :-)
Oh, this all looks so yummy. 21C, too cold for ice-cream to me.

Interesting costumes. How come I "live around the corner" and never heard of this. Sad. Thank you.

Great masks, hugs, happy T-Day.

CJ Kennedy said...

Oh, ice cream! Looks so good, but too many flavors to choose from! What a wonderful tribute to Oma to reuse the material to make curtains. They are really beautiful! Happy T Day!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

To answer your question, I just opened the fudge about 3:30 yesterday afternoon, so there had BETTER be a LOT left! It's so rich, even this little piggy can't eat too much at one time.

My name is Erika. said...

First of all your food is making me so hungry Lisca. Especially the rice dish. I love rice and wish the hubby would eat it. Of course the ice cream looks pretty good too! And we need water treatment at our house too. Our system is getting old and although it works, now requires a lot of maintenance. I like your neat little one. Ours is so big. And the Dutch costume is amazing. I assume they wear these for National Holidays and special occasions? This is a fun post today Lisca. Happy T day and happy June also. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

That rice looks delicious! What a treat to have such a great ice cream shop to go to on his rest days. It all looks so good. The traditional costume is interesting, and it's nice that the material can be used in a way that brings back memories of those who wore them.

Happy T Tuesday!

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous post! All your meals look so delicious and as everyone seems to be featuring food today, I'm getting hungrier and hungrier ...lol 😀. Happy June and T Day! Hugs, Jo x

Mae Travels said...

I hope your husband's therapy is working effectively! It's such a lot of suffering that it is really great when it works.

Postcards are much harder to find than they were in the psst, but I've been locating a few lately. If you want me to send you one, let me know your address.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

J said...

Lisca those ice creams look delicious, we have a couple of ice cream parlours but I don’t think they are homemade although they are delicious.
Such beautiful costumes, I’ve never seen those before and how lovely that they were made into curtains and masks.
I’ve tried the drink but wasn’t too keen!
Happy T Day
Jan x

nwilliams6 said...

Wow - so great to recycle those costumes into something special! Thanks for sharing that infomraotn on the costumes - so interesting. The ice cream looks scrumptious for sure! Glad your hubby could enjoy it too. Love seeing things going on in your part of the world. Happy T-day!

LA Paylor said...

the ice cream!!! I want someeeeee
best wishes for your husband's total recovery.
We need a water softener. the water binds with soap to make a film on everthing

Darla said...

The food looks great. We get a very similar looking dark rye bread here. I use it for corned beef sandwiches. I am fascinated by traditional clothing and so much of it is gone. I really enjoyed the pictures of it being work. Using pieces for curtains is a terrific idea. The various prints are interesting by themselves. Best to your husband in his recovery.

DVArtist said...

What a fabulous and interesting post. Well all of your posts are LOL. Have a very nice day.

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous post! I would love to visit this ice-cream shop, what great range to choose from! The traditional clothing looks great and how clever to re-purpose it! A really, really belated Happy T day, Chrisx