Tuesday 8 June 2021

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 8 June 2021 - T for Mucha, Monaco and Moomins

 

Good morning lovely ladies,

Today I have three cards for you as I have such a large pile of postcards to get through, I'm combining. 

The theme today is the turn of the century. For me, as a lover of history, that is a fascinating time. Lots of things changed. I'm thinking technology, education, economic change, human rights, women's rights etc. 

In the art world Art Nouveau (or Jugenstil or Modernista) was the 'new style' with its long fluid lines. I love it. Especially the architecture (Think Gaudi). The art on my postcards this week is all made around 1900. First off is Topaz (1900) by Alfons Mucha, a Czech painter who lived from 1860-1939.

This card was sent to me from Northern Germany.
The next card also has an image by Mucha.

This one is called 'Dance' painted in 1898. It came to me all the way from Japan from Emi, who was celebrating her 60th birthday on the same day as I was celebrating my 70th. She writes that she is looking forward to meeting her friend whom she hasn't seen since the beginning of Corona.
 
The stamps are gorgeous. The top one features the Moomins.

The Moomins are the central characters in a series of books and a comic strip by Swedish-speaking Finnish illustrator Tove Jansson, originally published in Swedish by Schildts in Finland. They are a family of white, round fairy tale characters with large snouts that make them resemble hippopotamuses. Wikipedia


From left to right, Sniff, Moominmamma, Moominpappa, Moomintroll (Moomin) and Little My

Below is a photo of the lady who wrote and designed the Moomins: Tove Jansson. (9 August 1914 – 27 June 2001)
In a letter to Paul Ariste, an Estonian linguist, Jansson wrote in 1973 that she had created an artificial word which expresses something soft. She came up with an ad hoc Swedish word mumintrollet, because, in her opinion, the consonant sound of m in particular conveys a sensation of softness. As an artist, Jansson gave the Moomins a shape that also expresses softness, as opposed to flabbiness.

The last card is also from 1900 and is a travel poster advertising Monaco, and inparticular the motorboat show and races (Canots automobiles  are motorboats in French). The artist is Elio Ximenes (1855-1926).
This card comes to me from Arizona in the USA. And is adorned with beautiful stamps. I love the one with the Mayflower, and another one with what I thought was an orchid and an artichoke. In fact it is a boutonniere (buttonhole in English). Read about it here.



Above the stamps is some really pretty washi tape with books. 


OK, so much for my postcards. 
Today is Tuesday and time for the T-Party hosted by Elizabeth and Bluebeard. My drink is a glass of Radler (Lager with lemon) at our favorite restaurant.
My soup is a cold soup called Salmorejo. It is a sort of gazpacho with pieces of Iberico ham and hard boiled egg.

But I would also like to show you my mum's drink:
This is my mum in Holland while talking to me on the phone. It was her 97th birthday last Saturday. She is an amazing lady, still living independently. Travel restrictions have been relaxed a little bit and my sister was able to fly over and stay with her for a few days to celebrate.

We've had a very quiet week as hubby's platelets were too low for the chemo, so he has had another week's respite. He busies himself building a large chicken house on the roof terrace of the cave house (next door):
He is taking a picture of me, taking a picture of him!
Here am I:
(It will be a chicken palace if you ask me!)

I have another drink reference:
This was my breakfast the other day: cereal, fruit and soya milk.
Yesterday we went shopping. We wanted grapefruit. They are difficult to find here, but in this supermarket (the second one we tried) they had some.

Another rarity is rye bread, or any brown bread in fact. We found some and I am posing with it.

A new store had opened and we went to check it out. It turned out to be one of those Chinese super bazaars and we always come away with more than what's on our list. In this case we bought two patio chair cushions.

You can tell we've had an uneventful week when I post pictures of our shopping trip. Oh well, better too quiet than too eventful.

That's all for now ladies,
Have a happy T-Day,
Stay safe,
Hugs,
Lisca






17 comments:

Mae Travels said...

Everywhere has its own shopping possibilities — we would always expect grapefruit and some type of rye bread, but so many of the other foods you talk about are unknown here. It’s very hard to find Iberian ham, for example, and very expensive.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Linda Kunsman said...

Love those vintage postcards!!
Happy birthday to your dear Mom- she looks great, and happy she could have a visit by your sister.
That does look like some chicken house. Going to be fun once you can get some chickens to care for:)
Glad you were able to find a few of your favorite foods-and then some-lol. Love your breakfast choice. Happy T day!

My name is Erika. said...

Your postcards are beautiful this week. I learned about the Moomins from another blogger a couple of years ago and have read some of their stories. It is fascinating to discover popular items (and not so popular) from other countries. That is a beauty of blogging for sure. Sorry to hear your husband's platelets are low, but I am sure he is happy to have a respite this week. And it is exciting to find foods you want but can't normally get, isn't it? I found gooseberries this week, which I never see in stores. I hope you have a wonderful T day, and the chicken house comes along well. Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Lisca, I loved these postcards this week, didn't know about the Moomins-those sound like fun books-and very pretty stamps too.
This sounds wonderful to have a spot for chickens in the future-will they be able to get sunlight there?? fresh eggs will be nice
I enjoyed seeing your shopping visits. I think we in the States take allot of our foods for granted. Happy T wishes hugs Kathy

kathyinozarks said...

Oh and Happy birthday to your Mom

Iris Flavia said...

Wonderful art. And the hippos :-)
Beautiful stamps!
Oh, can´t wait for a Radler! It has cooled down again, sadly. But I have olives from Greece in the fridge, yum. And ohhh, yum yours looks!
97, wow, and so fit!! Beautiful. Red, red wine is just the right thing!
Good vibes to your Hubby and yay for the picture-picture :-)
How many chicken will this be??? Send me an egg once in a while? This is huge!
Love your glasses. And smile! :-)
A happy T-Day and thank you, this was fun to read! Hugs from here.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm always impressed with the Art Nouveau movement, even though it isn't my favorite. It was always a bit too flowery for me, but that is just me, since I really enjoy seeing ANY art. The last postcard is my favorite, I think.

I have to agree that is going to be a chicken palace. He's working hard while he can't get the chemo. He's certainly a trooper.

Happy birthday to your mother. She still looks great and it is wonderful your sister was able to visit her to celebrate her birthday.

I've never heard of Radler, but it looks like a nice large glass. I especially like the looks of the salad, though! Rye bread is hard to find in my local grocery and Aldi would never carry it, at least not here.

Thanks for sharing your Art Nouveau postcards, your mother's birthday, your breakfast with soy milk, and your Radler and food with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful cards, I like the Mucha ones best, but can't say I care for the Moomins. The other stamps are lovely. Your chicken palace is coming along very well, very regal! You and your hubby keep yourselves busy! We have lots of dark bead sorts in Germany, we are really spoiled for choice. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

nwilliams6 said...

Great post cards and staps - so cool! Love the extra information you provided on them too. Your Mom looks fabulous! Happy Birthday to her. You and your husband look like you had some great shopping and I am impressed with the chicken palace! Now I want some dark bread and, of course, I gave up bread this week - lol! Fun post. Happy T-day.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Yes, Lisca, I have been vaccinated. However, there are many people who have NOT been who insist on NOT wearing a mask. I plan to be safe especially with all these new strains coming into my country. We don't have the control that you are privy to. We never went on lockdown and we still lead the world in number of dead from this killer.

J said...

Lisca the postcards are beautiful and the stamps too.I think your chicken coup will be a palace too, it’s big!
Lovely food, I’ve had that soup before, it’s always refreshing. Pity you don’t live closer, we always have bags full of pink grapefruit, they don’t ripen until autumn so maybe that’s why there’s no many around yet. I’ve been busy cherries, they are so delicious and cheap.
Happy T Day
Jan

Divers and Sundry said...

I love the Moomins! We have the books we read to the kids when they were young. Re-reading them as an adult they were just as delightful.

Happy belated Birthday to your mom. I trust your husband enjoyed his respite but will be ready for another treatment soon. Happy T Tuesday!

My name is Erika. said...

Hi Lisca. Thanks for your comment about the bees on my blog. I didn't know you were thinking about getting bees. It felt really complex at first, but I worked my way through that since I have wanted to have bees for quite some time. So if you are interested, just keep looking into it and it will all come together easy enough in time. Hope you share the chickens with us. I would have chickens but living where I do I am afraid they will attract coyotes closer to the house, plus I'm not sure what my dogs would do. But share your photos once you get them.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Love the Art Nouveau postcards but the Moomins stamp is really special. The Monte Carlo poster style card is brilliant too....and more great stamps. Your breakfast looks most appetising ! You do look so pleased to find Rye Bread! Hope hubby can get his treatment soon! Hugs, Chrisx

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous post! I'm loving your postcards this week, Mucha is one of my favourite artists 😁. Your meals look so delicious and it was fun visiting the supermarket with you both too! Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

Kate Yetter said...

So many lovely postcards and stamps but I have to say that the art nouveau style is a favorite! So many things to look at in this style. And it is quite feminine.
Your meal out looks delicious.
I am very excited to see the completed chicken palace. Where will you keep the chickens? By your garden? I am in want of a chicken house but we will have to wait a year or so seeing as we spent so much time and money on the garden remodel this year.
The Chinese supermarket looks like a place I would enjoy! Loved seeing your shopping trips.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

DVArtist said...

The cards are wonderful. I love seeing where you shop and what's available. The stores are so different in other parts of the world. Yes, I agree a chicken palace. LOL. Have a great day.