Friday 25 June 2021

A Postcard A Day - Friday 25 June 2021 - Friday Smiles

Good morning lovely ladies,
This week has been good and I would like to share some of our blessings and smiles. 
For me happy mail is always worth a smile or two.  I'm showing you two postcards each with a pretty face. 
The first one comes from Belarus. It was sent to me by Lena who is learning Spanish and she wrote a few lines in Spanish.
The card is a painting by Shahin Gholizadeh and most of you will recognize Nicole Kidman.

This is the stamp on the card. I have not been able to find any info about this stamp other than it represents Our Lady of Byalynichy.

The second card comes from.... Belarus again! And again it shows a pretty face. This time it is not a celebrity.

I like this card because it actually reads: Happy Postcrossing!
It was sent by Paval and Alena. Paval is a history teacher and vice -principal of a secondary school in Minsk.

The stamp is a baby wild boar. The Belarus post start the new year 2021 with their ongoing series "Philately for Children", this time with baby wild animals.


The whole series looks like this:

As I said, we have had a good week. This is a resume of the things that happened this week:

 On Friday we had actually double booked ourselves. We fancied fish and chips, and when I mentioned this to our Danish friends, they wanted to come along too. So we drove about an hour to a place called Albox, where there is a relatively large community of English ex-pats. There is a restaurant that serves fish and chips. It was delicious. In the evening we had arranged with other friends to eat pizza in town. 

So it was double whammy, but very nice.
Saturday was stormy and wet so I spent the day painting the old bedroom furniture with chalk paint. I also ordered new knobs. The colour is very pale blue.
Sunday was Father's Day in the UK, but we didn't know that so it was a lovely surprise when the kids placed video calls.
I baked another Herman cake (I have to do this every 10 days). Don't worry, there are always people I can give some cake to. We don't eat it all.
Monday was another dull day as far as the weather was concerned. I read my book and assembled the bedroom cabinets.
On Tuesday I went to the post office to see if my door knobs had arrived (No), and then I went to see my friend, bringing her a large piece of Herman cake. As I left, her husband come home with some mushrooms!
Wednesday hubby went to the hospital to do his pre-oncology Covid test. I waited outside and when he came out we went to a nearby bar to have breakfast. Then as we were in town, we did the weekly grocery shopping.
On the way home from the shopping we stopped at the post office, and sure enough my new knobs had arrived! 
On Wednesday night hubby helped me putting them on. (A few holes needed to be drilled and I prefer him to do that)
On Thursday morning we went to oncology for hubby's chemo, but his platelets were low again. He also had an appoint ment for his second vaccination (Moderna). The doctor said it was important that he have it, so we went  up to the second floor (Vaccination under medical supervision) and he has now had his second jab. All is well on that front. As for the chemo, he will have to wait another week.
He spent the rest of the day working on his chicken run and I cooked some crumpets (Which the Americans call muffins I think). I had never made them before but I had watched a YouTube video by Mr Paul's kitchen, and they turned out perfect!

I think that wraps up my week. Of course as usual, I will put some funnies at the end, but for now, I'm going to link up with Annie at A Stitch In Time and with Virginia at Rocking your world Friday.
Take care, stay safe,
Keep smiling!
Hugs,
Lisca

















8 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Wow, she really is very beautifully captured, Nicole Kidman.
You slowly really make me goo back to postcrossing with this ;-)
Oh, the baby boar! And OH, Ingo spotted two baby-Squirrels in our garden!

Hmmm, it all looks so yummy!
LOL. Murphy hit you with the brushes. So typical, same happens to me, also. See that when I´m done.

Chicken Fricassee. We always got this on school-travels and it was a horror. But guess. Today I love this! And Ingo made yummy mushrooms with rice. And it´s cold here, too. I could make a similar post, I guess ;-) At least food-wise.
You crack me up. I have two oranges waiting to be squeezed with the machine I found in the street.

Beautiful knobs!

How do you do the crumpets? Jamie Oliver used them (bought) and soaked them in eggs, looked good. I have not seen them here.

Sorry about all the chemo-delays, it must be frightening.
Ah, OK, I looked up the video on the crumpets, thank you :-)

"Free kid inside"!!! Wish I could´ve picked my nose, I so lost out ;-)
Henry just puked, LOL. Last one is great, too - thank you for the smiles again!

Annie said...

I really love what you've done to your cupboard with the new paint and knobs. Sorry to hear Graham's blood levels are still too low for his treatment but I'm sure he will be making the best of feeling well.
I must look up the recipe for the crumpets....they look yummy.
Stay well both,
Hugs,
Annie x

mamapez5 said...

Great work on the bedroom furniture. It has made a whole new cabinet for you. Love the choice of colour and fancy knobs.
The Belarus stamps with the young animals on are a nice set.
I am sorry Graham still can't have his treatment, but I thought the Moderna vaccine was a one off and you didn't need a second one.
Well done on the crumpets. It is ages since I made them. I have to admit I buy them from the English shop now as we both enjoy them, but perhaps I will have another go at making my own. I was remembering how I used to when I was toasting the bought ones last night, so maybe you have just given me the prompt I need.
Some good smiles to end with again. Have a happy week. Kate x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

The funnies are good today though there were some I wasn't quite sure about maybe I just don't have the right sense of humour. The stamps are beautiful as ever, you must have a great collection by now. Lovely to see you both keeping busy though fish and chips and Pizza! not sure I'd be able to stand after all that. I could quite eat the cake though...right now! Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

junemac2 said...

Hello Lisca. What a fabulous week, You really did pack a lot into this one. I loved the images of your week and the gorgeous postcards. Also the cooking. I have never made crumpets but those look amazing.
Hugs and happy weekend from June x

Lynn Holland said...

Right it’s all round to yours for cake then off out for fish and chips. Matters not which way round we eat them, they down the same hole heehee.
As for the funnies, I’m choking on my crumpets.
Lynn xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry I'm so late visiting. Loved the postcard of Nicole Kidman. She is so beautiful. The second one looks like a fairy tale. Such sweet stamps, too.

So glad you got your fish and chips and a pizza the same day. I would have been stuffed after the first meal!

You did a great job on the dresser and those knobs are beautiful. If you aren't sure about drilling, it's best left to someone who drills straight, or your knobs would never have fit well. They look good.

Not sure why you have to make a Herman cake every 10 days, but it looks good.

You had some cute funnies. The cat at the parole board is perfect and SO true.

I wanted to tell you I have NEVER had slugs or snails and my hosta looks like that because it got too much sun and nearly fried from laying on my new hot plastic/fiberglass table. It was one I rescued when I divided the mother plant and thought I'd killed this one.

Celtic house said...

Oh you seem to have had a very busy week and lots of meeting up with friends. The herman cake looks lovely every time you make one. The mushrooms looked fabulous too. Your fish and chip tea made me smile, we went to Beamish last week and enjoyed fish and chips from their coal fired range which are still cooked in dripping. They were lovely. I hope you have a lovely week ahead, apologies for my tardiness it has been one of those weekends where I blinked and it was Monday

Hugs