Tuesday 2 April 2019

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 2 April 2019 - T for Bakewell pudding, The Old Woman and the copper pot

Good morning all! The above picture says: A hug with love!
Today is the first T-party in April. I hope you will join us at Elizabeth and Bluebeard's with a blogpost that has a beverage in it. 

It is also the right day for Second on the 2nd, where we show a blog post from the past for te second time. At the end of this blog you will find my Second on the 2nd.

My first postcard today comes from the UK. From a small town called Bakewell.

Bakewell is a small market town and civil parish in the Derbyshire Dales district of Derbyshire, England, well known for the local confection Bakewell pudding. It is located on the River Wye, about thirteen miles southwest of Sheffield. In the 2011 census the civil parish of Bakewell had a population of 3,949.

 I have been there several times and on one occasion my parents were gifted a balloon trip for their 50th wedding anniversary. My mum chickened out at the last minute and I took her place! It was amazing. We flew over Bakewell and the Peak district. Amazing!
The card features a Bakewell pudding.

Bakewell pudding is an English dessert consisting of a flaky pastry base with a layer of sieved jam and topped with a filling made of egg and almond paste.
Here is a link to the recipe. 
Link
I prefer a Bakewell tart which is similar but has a shortcrust pastry base.

My second card comes from Lithuania and freatures a pretty window in a wooden traditional house.


The stamp is beautiful. I had to look up what it was about:


Ąžuolynas is a public park in Lithuania's second largest city, Kaunas. The park covers about 84 hectares and is the largest urban stand of mature oaks in Europe. Vydūnas Alley serves as the park's northern border. It is a popular recreational destination for the inhabitants of Kaunas.

So, what has been happening here in Spain? Wednesday was a local day off, (No gym for me). Caniles celebrated La Vieja, which means: the old woman.

Caniles celebrates "the day of the Old Woman", a festive day in the middle of Lent. These photos are from the local newspaper.

Wednesday Caniles celebrated its traditional "Day of the Old Woman ", a party that has its origin in the popular tradition of "half-way Lent" to cushion the rigors of it, especially fasting and abstinence.
A day of great popular roots and which consists of going out to  spend a day of food or snacks in the country using a bull that was obtained by the people of Caniles to eat meat just on the Wednesday that splits Lent in two. 



But a day earlier, the brotherhood of San Sebastian dress as "old women" and visit the school, the market, and the City Hall where women offer pieces of cake to pedestrians. ( men also dressed as "old women" )


 In other places of Spain and in some towns of the Diocese they celebrate this dayThe explanation of why an old woman would be the following: just as Don Carnal-the carnival-was fat and likable, Lent is usually represented as an  old, skinny, black woman with scrawny legs.



Sometimes she is represented with a basket of vegetables and a cod in her hand (because of fasting) and seven legs (one for each week) which are removed as a "Lenten calendar" until Easter Sunday . 


I've been busy getting my little downstairs patio ready with plants etc. We went to the garden centre and bought lots of geraniums and petunias for hanging baskets. While I was looking in the shed for some pots to put them in, I came across this old pot. It belonged to my dad and I remember it hanging in the lounge at my parents' appartment.

I didn't know what it was made of but it turns out to be copper.

I looked up how to clean it and tried half a lemon dipped in salt. 
Brilliant! It worked a treat.
I haven't decided what to put in it yet.  But I will show you when I do. This is what the patio looks like now. The two climbers are Jasmin, which suffered a bit over the winter. (we have cold winters).
We had an old railway sleeper and hubby stained it, put it on some bricks to make a bench. The the ugly grey plastic drain pipes underneath were painted white and voilá.
This is the view from the living area. There is a table under the window (inside) and we made the window fairly low so I could look onto the patio while sitting at the table. 
Hubby also hung the window boxes on the wall. I absolutely love it.

There is normally an outside table and chairs in the middle as we tend to have our meals out there if it is not too hot. I have phoned the chappie who makes the sun shades. He will come in the course of this week to measure up and give me a quote.  Then we can sit in the shade.

That is it from me this week. Have a great first week of April,
take care,
Hugs,
Lisca

And I've just in time remembered                        Second on the 2nd. Here is a post from the first week of April 2015:


I hope everyone has had a lovely Easter holiday. Here in Spain Easter Monday is a normal working day so everything has gone back to normal after a hectic Holy Week. I managed to make time to make ‘pasta mandorle’, a typical Easter treat from Abruzzo in Italy (where I used to live). It has almonds, eggs and bitter chocolate in it. Yumm!

It’s Wednesday again and today I’m showing you the desk (i.e. table) with all the action. This is at my friend Antonia’s house (the lady on the right). My friends wanted to start scrapbooking and I had promised to do a session with them. We did A4 format as that format is easiest to buy things for in the local shops. I took a crate full of stash over to Antonia’s and here we are having scrapping fun. On the left is Patricia from Mexico and in the middle is Patricia from Peru. Antonia is Spanish and I am Dutch. Quite the united nations!



While we waited for the other girls to arrive Antonia showed me her cheese making equipment as she had made a lovely goat’s cheese the week before. The freshly made cheese gets put in the baskety round thing that then gets tightened. A weight is put on top so that the liquid is being squeezed out and runs along the little ‘channels’ into a bucket. Clever he?



Where in England people drink tea and in US girls drink coffee when they get together, here in Andalucia we drink ‘infusion’ or herbal drinks. Sometimes we use ‘tea’ bags we buy in the shops but more often than not they are dried herbs that have been picked locally. Some herbs are quite bitter so I usually add a leaf of Stevia ( the dried leaves in the plastic bag). 

They are real sweet. I want to watch my weight but don’t like to take artificial sweeteners. This is a really good solution.  Many of my friends are from South America, and they are in the habit of drinking a caffeinated herbal drink called ‘mate’ (pronounced: ma-tay).

 It is drunk from a special beaker and a straw. Drinking through the straw prevents you getting ‘bits’ in your mouth. 


The beaker gets passed around and everyone gets a turn. The same beaker gets filled up with hot water after each person has had a drink. These photos I got from Wikipedia as I forgot to photograph my friends’ beaker (which is a shame because hers is much nicer).

16 comments:

  1. As always this was a very interesting post to read. I always enjoy the postcards and stamps and learning more about them.
    I enjoyed seeing your home-and love that family pot-is cleaned up really nice!
    and I also really enjoyed your second on the 2nd post-perfect with Easter coming up this month.
    Happy T wishes Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do know its only 2April and not 2 May as your title suggests, had a heart attack when I saw the date, thought I'd lost a whole month lol.
    You certainly do some amazing things

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your patio looks like a pretty place and a nice place to relax. I'm not sure what jasmine looks like up close, but it looks like and interesting plant. I don't know mate at all so I am glad you introduced me to what it is. Have a wonderful T day Lisca and a HAppy second on the second. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh what a really lovely patio area you have Lisca!! I can almost smell that jasmine... Thanks for so generously sharing the information on not only your postcards, but also of Spain's holidays and traditions. The Europeans do have a way of making ANYTHING a festival or celebration don't they, and I love it:):) Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE your patio. It is to die for, Lisca. Every view is amazing, and I would never come inside if I had that view. You have created heaven on earth.

    I am enamored with your copper pot. It is beautiful and cleaned up well, too. You may know my kitchen is filled with copper, so I was in awe of this piece.

    I had never heard of Day of the Old Woman until I saw it last Friday on Kate's blog. I enjoyed seeing it in your village, too. I love how the old woman had a bottle of wine in her basket. Whether intentional or not, this was a very clever choice for T this Tuesday.

    Since I had never seen your choice of a second look this month, I really enjoyed it. Both the cheese and the tea were impressive. I had a stevia plant (which is definitely an annual) and the leaves were too sweet for even my sugar loving friends. Instead of using an entire leaf, I ground the leaves in my grinder. It worked so much better than using an entire leaf. It was also good to see you shared the mate, too. I have tasted this "tea" before, but not through a straw like that. Thanks for sharing this second look with us as your second look on the 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post. Love the postcards. I spent a lot of time in Bakewell as a kid as an aunt lived there, and I went to her during school holidays. She used to bake the famous tart, too! That copper pot is gorgeous. You have a wonderful terrace, too, a lovely spot to sit. The old women festival sounds like big fun. We got Mate tea to drink when I was in South America. Happy T Day and happy 2nd on the 2nd, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful post to read Lisca.
    Super photos of the postcards, I liked the look of the Bakewell tart.
    The Old woman festival sounds a fun event with everyone joining in.
    Your patio looks beautiful a lovely area to sit in and enjoy, All the plants looked lovely and I love the copper pot you showed us.
    Happy T day wishes Lisca.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisca your post is so enjoyable, we used to caravan quite a lot in Derbyshire and especially around the Bakewell area, I too prefer the Bakewell Tart although I make it with a sponge topping instead.
    Your terrace looks lovely, I've tried to make a courtyard feel to our BBQ area but the wall plants die too quickly as it is in the full sun most of the day.
    Have a great week
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful mix of postcards and photos. I didn't know about that old woman tradition for the half way point in Lent. That's fascinating. I like all of the flowering plants you got for your patio. That copper pot cleaned up nicely and looks great. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So interesting to read about The Day of the Old Woman. Never heard of it before. It must be fun to view the men dressed up as old women.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i guess i must go through this post again, lots of interesting things! and bakewell... nomen est omen, i suppose:) happy t-day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been to Bakewell quite a few times too, it's such a lovely place and it must have been amazing to see it from a hot air balloon too! Your patio looks amazing, so beautiful 😁. Happy T Day! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm jealous of your festival. A festival for old women sounds like fun :) I look forward to seeing what you do with your copper pot. It's beautiful and also comes with fond memories. Win/Win! Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely postcard. I really love the look of that wooden house with the wooden shutters and lacy curtains. It looks like something out of a storybook.
    Your patio area is so beautiful. I love all the hanging pots against the stark white wall. That transformation of the copper pot must have been a wonderful surprise. I wonder if your Jasmine trees could be used to make Jasmine tea. I love the flavor and it happens to be one of my favorite teas.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a truly interesting post Lisca! I know Bakewell very well from my student days! I love that festival - it looks as though everyone has fun! Happy T day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  16. so much to enjoy in this post! Your patio looks so inviting, love the flowers and your recycled 'bench!' your bread (cake?) looks delicious too! happy belated T day!

    ReplyDelete