Friday 31 May 2024

A Postcard A Day - Friday 31 May - Friday Smiles

 Hello lovely peeps,

Have you enjoyed your week? I have as I'm traveling at the moment. I am writing this on a night train from The French-Spanish border to Paris and this morning I will be looking for a train to Rotterdam. More about that later but let me show you my postcard which should make you smile. It's from the Caribbean:


It features a scene from the Virgin Islands which belong to the U.S.

It was sent to me by Andrew, who lives in Kansas but has an aunt who is a gardener in St John, (USVI).



St. John is the smallest of the 3 U.S. Virgin Islands, which are located in the Caribbean Sea. Virgin Islands National Park occupies more than half the island. Its forests shelter resident and migratory birds, including cuckoos, warblers and hummingbirds. The mangroves at Hurricane Hole, in the east, support corals and anemones. Dolphins inhabit the island’s waters, which also host hawksbill and green turtles.
 ― Google



Drool, drool, dribble, dribble. I'd love to go to an exotic place like that! But here I am 'stuck' in Paris.

The stamps are lovely:

The sender sent this card from Kansas after he came back from St John, so the stamps are US stamps. 
The large stamp on the right depicts a wooden dragon, as 2024 is the year of the dragon.
The Year of the Dragon in 2024 is associated with the element of Wood. The combination of the animal sign (Dragon) and the element (Wood) designates the year as the Year of the Wood Dragon. The Lunar New Year begins on 10 February in 2024. This marks the start of the Year of the Wood Dragon.

The other stamps seem to be for postcards especially, but I have never seen them.

Here is one of the Patricias with her partner. They have been together for many years but they still radiate happiness!


So, what can I tell you about my travels? I spent a whole day in Madrid and went to see the so-called Nomad museum, where there was a VanGogh technical immersion experience. Don't know what to call it really but it was very quite spectacular. 

I went to the toilet and that was also quite different:

I read that I looked fine. It made me smile.

This was a bench outside on the Gran Via (Main shopping street in Madrid):


I'll leave it at that, as the train wifi is not brilliant. Of course there are some funnies at the end.

I wish you all a lovely weekend.
Lisca































9 comments:

DVArtist said...

Lovely card and stamps with great information. Nice photo of Patricia and her partner. I also really laughed at your funnies.

roentare said...

The memes are so much fun there

Annie said...

Stay safe and enjoy your travels. Love the funnies.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Loving the new stamps, they are amazing. Pleased you're enjoying your trip and a great collection of funnies today too. Sending hugs Angela xxx

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, yes, Caribbean I would like be right now, too!
But your trip so far seems to go pretty great, too.
Thank you for the funnies :-) And have a great trip.

mamapez5 said...

I hope you find your train for the next leg of your journey. I was not all that taken with Paris, but Madrid sounds very interesting.
You managed to find some good funnies even if you were on a train.
I hope the rest of your journey goes smoothly. Kate x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a fun postcard. I remember a quest was how to spell Caribbean and very few people got it right. The postcard stamps are a set if two as shown. Here is a link and you can read about them and the artist who created them: https://store.usps.com/store/product/sailboats-postcard-stamps-S_122504

I would LOVE to go to that Van Gogh show. It sounds like quite an experience. I would have loved to see more from it.

I thought the weather forecast was the best. A bit like Kansas weather.

LA Paylor said...

hey world traveler... you stay safe eat cake
so many funnies, thank you
LeeAnna

My name is Erika. said...

I went to St. John on my honeymoon. It is part of the US, so they use US stamps, and it wasn't, when I went, a highly populated island. And it is beautiful. Lucky you to see that immersion experience. I've wanted to see one but they are always down in Boston, which is a bit of drive when you have other things going on. I hope you're having a wonderful trip so far. What else have you done in Madrid? Happy June. hugs-Erika