Tuesday 5 December 2023

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 5 December 2023 - T for

 

Hello lovely ladies, How are you all?

Here the weather is getting nasty. We've had some night frost, and I really need to think about protecting my lemon tree. 

But let's start this blog post with a postcard as per usual:

I received this card from a person called Peter  from Birmingham, Alabama in the USA. It's called the Reading Woman (1877). It's a painting by Frank Duveneck (American 1848-1919). I really like it. He plays with light in the way that Rembrandt did. This oil painting can be found in the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston.
Kentucky-born painter and teacher. He studied at the Munich Academy and developed a loose, broad painting style in the manner of Hals and Rembrandt. Whistling Boy (1872) is a signature work.

Frank Duveneck’s parents were German immigrants. He showed talent at an early age painting signs and decorating coaches, and by age fifteen was apprenticed to an altar-building shop in a German-American neighborhood of Cincinnati. (Quick, An American Painter Abroad: Frank Duveneck’s European Years, 1988) His teachers encouraged him to travel to Munich, where he could study the works of Europe’s masters. The training at Munich’s academies influenced a generation of American painters, who adopted their professors’ confident brushwork and direct application of paint. Duveneck established himself as a successful portraitist and teacher in Cincinnati and Munich, and toward the end of his life created landscapes during summer vacations in Massachusetts.

The stamps are really nice:



This new Forever® stamp celebrates women’s soccer in the United States. From youth leagues to the elite world champion U.S. national team, millions of girls and women throughout the country participate in the fast-paced, competitive sport of soccer.

The stamp on the right (The farmer's bank) comes from a beautiful architecture series:

This block in the series was issued on August 28, 1981 at the National Building Museum in Washington, DC.  The buildings in this group date from the late 1800s to the early 1900s, a period when architects stopped sticking to particular styles and began exploring new directions.  The eclectic architecture of this era often took inspiration from any styles or buildings that came before it, and might even combine elements from multiple styles into one building.

The stamps show the New York University Library by Stanford White, the Biltmore House by Richard Morris Hunt, the Palace of the Arts by Bernard Maybeck and the National Farmer’s Bank by Louis Sullivan. I found some photos of this last one, that is on my stamp:


It's a beautiful building

One of the nation's most enduring and significant architectural buildings used to be called the Farmer's National Bank in Owatonna, Minn. It might never have been built in 1908 if it hadn't been for a couple of anti-establishment architects and a wealthy local banker who were not afraid to invest in new ideas.



Louis Sullivan and George Grant Elmslie were hired though their own studio was in a chaotic state. Sullivan had become an excessive drinker, and the gifted Elmslie was left to shoulder much of the design work.

The details are stunning.


I'd better stop drooling and tell you what I've been up to.

Here in the village the Christmas decorations have come out:
It's really pretty.

Wednesday was a difficult day as it was exactly a year since my husband died. But I got lots of encouraging messages and phone calls, so in the end it wasn't such a bad day.

The next few days were uneventful, then on Saturday night I went out to dinner with my friends .On the photo you see our Caprese salad with tomatoes and mozzarella. Very nice it was.
We had lots of delicious food. My glass of red wine just about visible for Elizabeth and Bluebeard's Tea Party.
The meal was a resounding success at our favorite restaurant.

On Sunday apart from going to church, I was invited to a Dutch Sinterklaas celebration. When I was a child we always celebrated it on the eve of St Nicolas (6 Dec) so that is the evening of the 5th, but my friends wanted to do it on the weekend. According to tradition Sinterklaas, who arrives on a steamer from Spain (It's actually televised on Dutch national television) rides a white horse. He is assisted by his black helpers all called Piet. Nowadays that is controversial, but of course historically there were Moors in Spain, so it's not so unusual. Nowadays Piet can be any colour except black. Anyway Sint rides his white horse across the roofs and throws present down the chimney or if there are lots of presents, he will leave a large jute sack by the front door after banging loudly on the door (usually a kind neighbour will oblige).
This is what happened at my friend's house. Actually it was a large basket:
Another tradition is to write anonymous rhymes. These usually poke fun of the recipient. I received some fun poems, which have to be read out loud:
And I received some sweet little presents:
My favorite is the felted flower. Made by my friend Maaike, who also wrote a lovely rhyme to go with that.
After all the presents have been opened, it's time to play with our new toys:
That is a really fun box of construction bits. 

Before going home my friend asked me to take home some produce.I chose one of these squashes (the smallest):
and a bag full of red peppers:

That is all from me today. I will leave you with one last image that some of you might be able to identify with:

Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca































16 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I think I've seen that painting at the Museum of Fine Arts (Boston). It looks a bit familiar to me. And my dad was an architect so I enjoy seeing those stamps and the buildings. I am really interested in this Dutch Christmas custom. This Sinterlaas story was wonderful. I am guessing that no one exchanges presents on Christmas like we do here in the US. I love the poem for each gift too. I bet they take some time to write. I'm glad your Wednesday wasn't too terrible, but of course it will probably never be a festive day. Have a wonderful T day and week ahead. hugs-Erika

Carola Bartz said...

I can imagine that your Wednesday was a difficult day.
We celebrate Nikolaus in Germany as well, but differently. On the evening of Dec. 5th, kids put out their boots/shoes and they are getting magically filled with sweets overnight. His companion is called Knecht Ruprecht who carries a birch for whipping the "bad" kids (I have actually never seen that happening). There are no big presents - or at least there weren't any when I was a kid and my daughter never got anything big either. Presents are being exchanged on the evening of Dec. 24th. Happy T day!

Iris Flavia said...

Really beautiful work, the postcard.
And the tree...
A year. Time so runs. Hugs from here.

Oh, but what a fun time you have otherwise to help ypu through.

Happy T-Day, snow here, too!

Valerie-Jael said...

Frank Duveneck is a great painter, I like his works. Glad you enjoyed the Sintaklaas celebration. I have a photo of me with Sintaklaas taken some years back, that was fun. The felted flower is fabulous. Happy T Day, Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

I always enjoy all the history you share in your T Posts-loved reading everything-wow doesn't seem like a year already has passed-hugs Kathy

Mae Travels said...

Interesting choice of architects — no Frank Lloyd Wright! I think a lot of Midwestern US banks were influenced by that style.
Thanks for including the details about Sinterclas!
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Divers and Sundry said...

Anniversaries of losses are so hard. My heart goes out to you 🫂 We have some good Christmas decorations here but mostly downtown where I don't often see them. Yours are lovely. I hadn't seen the soccer stamp. It's good to see them highlighted and interesting to see what choices they make for new stamps. Cool! Happy T Tuesday!

DVArtist said...

Wow what a fun filled post. I really like the post card and all of the architecture. I'm glad you have lots of friends to keep you busy. Ohhh that basket is such a great idea and I love all the produce you got. Have a lovely day.

Kate Yetter said...

The Reading Woman is such a beautiful painting. I agree, I love the lighting in the painting. And what a beautiful bank. If I ever visit Minnesota, I will have to go there.
We started doing St. Nickolas Day last year and my daughter loved it. But we stuck to goodies in the shoes versus large baskets.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

pearshapedcrafting said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pearshapedcrafting said...

What an interesting post. I hadn't heard of Frank Duveneck but he can certainly paint ! Love the idea of celebrating St Nicholas Day! Happy T Day, Chrisx

Empire of the Cat said...

I can not believe a year has gone past, it really doesn't seem that long. I hope you are doing OK Lisca. My Dutch friends always celebrate Sinterklaas, and send me those little chocolates, I forget the name, begins with P. Happy T Day! Elle xx

Cloudia said...

Nice post and very enjoyable! I loved that building and then you actually photographed it! Really nice. Thank you Aloha!

CJ Kennedy said...

I'll have to see if Duveneck's paintings are on display at the MFA - Boston. Nan and I are trying to get in to see the Sargent exhibit featuring not only his paintings, but the dresses from them. Happy St. Nicholas' Day sounds like a fun tradition. This morning Himself and I were watching Miracle on 34th St. (1947) There's a scene where a little Dutch girl visits Santa Claus at the department store. She's excited because she recognizes him as THE Sinterklaas. He also speaks Dutch to her and she sings a little song about Sinterklass. Happy T Day

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My plan on Friday was to visit the international T Tuesday participants first, while it was Friday in their world, then those who live in the states where it would still be Friday in THEIR world. That didn't happen, although I was able to visit a few before my young fur baby got sick. As much as Bleubeard tries to stay away from Squiggles, he was (seemed) actually concerned for once. Now Squiggles has been looked at and taken care of, I am back to visit. And even though I am on hiatus until the new year, I will be here every Monday afternoon my time to spend T time with you.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Not sure what happened, but when I hit enter to go to a new paragraph, my post published. The Reading Woman is beautiful. It is a charming postcard.

I have seen the soccer stamp and the architecture stamps, but not the forever stamp on the right. I see it's dated 2023, so it's a newer one.

I can't believe it's been a year since Graham died. I was just thinking the other day what changes you have made since he has been gone. Like two TVs, new wardrobe/clothes, and lots of trips with friends. I am glad you got through the day because I know how hard it is to get through an anniversary of a lost loved one.

One year I featured Christmas around the world and I remember Sinterklaas. How wonderful you got to share the celebration with your friends. That IS a beautiful felted flower. You got some other nice gifts, too. How fun that you got to experience it with your friends.

I absolutely ADORE caprese salads. Yours looks wonderful. And of course, I love the idea you shared it and your wine with us for T this week, dear Lisca.