Saturday 2 December 2023

A Postcard A Day - Saturday 2 December 2023 - Second on the 2nd

 Hello again,

I'm joining Elizabeth and Bluebeard by posting something that I've posted before. In this case it was many years ago, in fact it was 8 years ago, when we still lived in the cave next door. That cave was deteriorating and I was so looking forward to sleeping in a proper room.


A Postcard a Day - Friday 4 Dec 2015 Friday Smiles

Good Morning! Are you having a good day? Are you smiling today?
I'm linking up with Annie for Friday Smiles, so think of all the positiveness in your life and count your blessings and share them here with us.

I've had a good week. The weather here is still sunny every day although the temperatures are down at night, I can still sit outside in the sun and that makes me happy.

The highlight for me this week was yesterday when I joined a friend from church to make bread. Most people here have land although they live in the town or village. The land usually has a house on it that people use to relax or for holidays and of course when they work the land. My friend's name is Juanita, and in her place in the country she has an old fashioned oven (which is on my wishlist of things I would like) and with two more girls we made 20 loaves of bread.
Here she is building up a fire in the oven to heat it up for the next batch.
And here below she has just made some almond meringue type cup cakes. Very clever as the oven must not be too hot. They turned out perfect. I like a meringue with a bit of chewyness in the middle.
Our new bedroom is nearing completion and we hope to be able to sleep in there on Saturday. The electrician hasn't quite finished and my husband  needs to grout the tiles, and place the toilet.
Also this week my Tangle it! Journal has arrived! (I already wrote this on my Tuesday blog), but here it is:
Then on Wednesday morning my copy of the Flow Book for Paperlovers arrived too! I'm in seventh (paper) heaven!
 Can you read what it says? "More than 300 pages of paper goodies. *mini cards *postman paper doll * pop-up house * glitter postcards *wrapping paper *folding houses *coloring pages *craft paper *posters *stickers *and so much more!"
Here is their website and here is the link for the Youtube flipthrough. Do have a look.

Now for my postcard:
It's from my collection of WW2 motivational posters. During the Second World War people were encouraged in the US as well as in Britain, to make do and mend. There was no manufacturing, so new clothes were not available. 

When Kansas Wheat realized that women were sewing children's clothes out of their old sacks, they started to use sacks with pretty patterns.
Isn't that great! This is a photo from 1939. I found it on the internet. 

That's enough for today. I hope I have made you smile today. 
I'm also linking in with Virginia at Rocking your world Friday.

Have a good positive week,

Blessings,

Lisca

4 comments:

Mae Travels said...

World War II economy measures are definitely a model of what we need today, but it's impossible to imagine really doing that for the cause of the environment: it's too abstract. Not like a war. Your posters are neat.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

DVArtist said...

Love this post. I too would like an old style oven to bake bread. The flour coming in fabric has already started here. During covid our local store got 25lbs of flour in fabric bags. Have a very nice day today.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I see Flow no longer sends overseas. The postage costs are too expensive.

Thank goodness for Kansas wheat/flour sacks back in the day. I see there is a Sunbonnet Sue sack, too.

I was raised by grandparents and I have what people would call "depression mentality."

I'm not a baker, but that bread looks great. Thanks for sharing your second look on the 2nd, dear Lisca.

My name is Erika. said...

That oven would be a dream for me too. I bet it was fun to make that bread. I think it's interesting that so many people live in town and have a place outside of town. I'm glad you shared this posta second time Lisca. I hope you're having a good weekend. Hugs-Erika