Thursday 2 September 2021

Second on the 2nd / A post from September 2014 My True Companion

I'm linking this old blog post with Elizabeth and Bluebeard's Second on the second.

This is a post from 2014, which is when we started building our house. 


Hi peeps! From this week onwards we’re living in a building site! And this is what my desk looks like at the moment: it’s a fold up table, still packed! Let me explain.


We are a retired couple living out in the middle of nowhere in rural Spain. That’s all nice and idyllic while we are fit and healthy and are able to drive. But there will come a time when we will want to live amongst folk in a community. So we have bought a site in a village, 35 miles away, which has a skeleton building on it. The previous owner started to build something but never finished the project. Building regulations have changed since and we have to practically start again. Start building is what we have done on Monday morning. We haven’t got a lot of savings, but we can pay two builders and their equipment for three months. My husband can do a lot to help and we’ll see how far we get. We hope to have the building weather proof before the (Northern hemisphere) winter, i.e. roof on and windows and doors in etc. Hopefully get even more done so that we can live at least in part of it.
We are ‘camping’ here in the meantime and as far as crafting is concerned I got as far as getting the table out of storage, so there is nothing to see on my desk.

Last week I had photos of about almonds on my desk. I’ve started to get some papers and materials together for a two page layout, and I hope to have that finished by the weekend. Here they are on the kitchen table.

You also saw photos of my wedding last week, and I have since done a scrapbook page of those. Here is the photo of the finished layout. The description will be at the end of this blog (as it's getting a bit long and well done those who have gotten this far...) 

It’s going to be an exciting few months. And next week I will hopefully have a desk to show you.

Bye for now and God bless

Lisca

I like the CSI (Color, Stories and Inspiration) challenge and their brief this week was this:
These photos of my wedding all those years ago have been lying there waiting to be put in a scrapbook. The colours matched those of this week’s palette, so here they are!

I’ve called it True Companion because that is what my husband is amongst other things. Simon (the vicar in the picture) in one of his ‘pre-wedding’ talks asked me why I wanted to marry this man. He expected something like ‘Because I love him’, but I said: “This is the man I want to grow old with”.  Now we are retired and officially ‘old’, he is still my best friend, my confidant, my rock, the person I most like to be with: my true companion.

We both like the song True Companion by Marc Cohn so I have copied the last verse and put it in the envelope. (I’ll copy the words at the end).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNlC2qld7h8

The fluttering hearts I had seen somewhere on the internet and I honestly don't know who it was. I'd love to acknowledge the idea, but I copied it and suffice to say the idea wasn't mine.

So have I resolved the case? The colours certainly are all there. The evidence is found in the envelope (hidden behind the large photo), the paint (back ground with white acrylic paint) and buttons. The testimony is the journaling in the envelope. 

MY TRUE COMPANION (the last verse)
When the years have done irreparable harm
I can see us walking arm in arm
Just like the couple on the corner do
‘Cause boy I will always be in love with you
When I look in your eyes I still see that spark
Until the shadows fall, until the room grows dark
Then when I leave this earth
I’ll be with the angels standing
I’ll be out there waiting for my true companion
My true companion
                                          Marc Cohn

3 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a heartwarming a wonderful second look, Lisca. I recognize Graham, but who is the woman next to the Vicar (JUST JOKING!!!)? Gosh you were young! And beautiful as ever.

I can't believe you were just starting on your home in 2014. For some reason, I thought you probably bought it as a shell, if nothing else. Are you still using that table? They are the hardest things in the world to get together (the legs to stand). Thanks for sharing this really lovely and loving post with us as your second look on the 2nd, dear Lisca.

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun post, great to look back to the beginnings! I had to put my kitchen table together when I bought it and ended up with blisters on all my fingers! Have a great day! Hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

This is fun to look back and see Lisca. I am guessing that is your present home? We started an addition on our home back in 2000 and we have yet to finish it. Well it is done from the outside but on the inside it still needs electricity, inner walls and heat. Maybe one day we'll finish it. Hope your new month is going well. hugs-Erika