Tuesday 31 August 2021

A Postcard A Day / Tuesday 31 August 2021 / T for five hens, herbal tea and fish pie.

 Hello lovely ladies,

Here I am again to show you not one, not two but three postcards. The theme is USA. All three cards are typical American (from my point of view).

The first card is  a hummingbird. There are no hummingbirds in Europe and I often hear/read my blog friends talking about them. 

The blurb on the back of the card reads:
Anna's hummingbird (Colibri d'Anna), named for Anna Messena, the Duchess of Rivoli. This species has the northernmost year-round range of any hummingbird. Measuring four inches long and weighing about 3 or 4 grams, hummingbirds average 50 wingbeats per second and their active heart rate is over a 1000 beats per minute. They consume more than their weight in nectar per day, for they are continuously just hours away from starving to death. Hummingbirds are capable of slowing their metabolism at night or when food is less available, entering a hibernation-like torpor to conserve energy.
The card was sent to me by Pat in Phoenix, Arizona.
The stamp is a beautiful chrysanthemum.



The second card comes from New Hampshire and it shows Barak Obama with his wife Michelle and their two daughters. It was probably at the beginning of his presidency as the girls are still quite young. (The card was damaged in the post as you can see by those stripes).

The stamps are absolutely beautiful. The two middle ones must be my favorite Forever stamps: the coffee pot and the jewelry.

The stamp on the right is about bioluminescence. It shows the deep ocean octopus.
Above you have the whole series.

My next card is a map of Minnesota. This state is dear to my heart as I have visited several times as I had a dear friend there. She has since died, but I have sweet memories of that area.She took me to see Duluth (cold and windy) and we spent a week in a condo at Lake Superior (beautiful). We also went to the Mall of America as she lived very near there. (I didn't like the mall).
The info on the card is,
State Capital: St Paul, State bird: common loon, State flower: snowy ladyslipper


The stamp is another round one from the same series of global Forever stamps. This time a green succulent known as 'echeveria'.


So what have I done this week. The most exciting thing that happened this week is the arrival of our chickens. After a phone call to say they had arrived, we went to pick them up. This is the shop. They sell animal feed and agricultural tools and paraphernalia. 

We had ordered five chickens.

They were put in a cardboard box and the shop assistant carried out a sack of feed.

Hello lovely girls! Welcome to your new home!

We have a black one, a speckled one, a brown one and a white one and a large grey one.

The white one was the most adventurous and immediately set to explore her surroundings.

They soon sussed out the food and the water.




They are now in the process of establishing the pecking order, and so they are pecking each other and pushing one another to the ground and generally misbehaving. I know this is what they must do. We have noticed that the black chicken is a real bully, but I think the white one is going to be the boss. She is calm and does her own thing. I can see the others following her without her having to fight for it. Time will tell.

My week has been full of food and drink as usual. And as we have been invited to the T-Party today, hosted by Elizabeth and Bluebeard, here is my beverage:
I had made a nice fish pie and I had a lovely glass of white wine with that.  Hubby is not allowed alcohol, so he has something else

The weather is still very sunny and warm so we have most of our meals outside, although at lunch time it's too hot to be outside.
And below are our coffees. We had the remnants of cake and half a muffin each.

Below is our breakfast table: cereal with fruit and a dollop of Greek yoghurt, and freshly squeezed oranges to drink.

I have framed another jigsaw puzzle 
and hubby is going to hang it up with the others on the stairway:
Those of you with a keen eye will have noticed that the jigsaw puzzle has 'sunk'. I put it right in the middle and because it has been standing upright, the puzzle has sunk and is no longer in the middle. I will have to take everything apart and do it again!


This last image is a packet of herbal 'tea'. I wanted to show Kate as she likes Pukka tea. This is the one I have (and like). I bought it in Holland over the Christmas period.

That's it from me today. 
Let me just wave you goodbye from the gate:
Bye bye, Have a lovely week!
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

16 comments:

nwilliams6 said...

Wow. Lots of cool things going on in your world! Lovely postcards and stamps. Super cool jigsaw puzzle, fab looking food and drinks, and love the picture of you at the end, but my favorite thing is your chickens! They look so fun and pretty! TFS and Happy T-day, Lisca!

Mae Travels said...

Hummingbirds are so wonderful. We just received a gift of a collection of 19th century paintings of every hummingbird species. As you mentioned, they are a New World bird family and only found in the Americas.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

You have so many interesting items in your post today Lisca. Hummingbirds are a favorite of mine, and it won't be long before ours (Ruby Throated) will be gone until spring. They've been feeding a lot lately, getting lots of energy for the long trip to Mexico for the winter. And how exciting to get some chickens. Your meals look delicious. I've never had fish pie like that. I bet it was yummy. I hope you have a wonderful T day. And happy new month on Wednesday. Hugs-Erika

Sharon Madson said...

Lisca, what a wonderful post. And you there waving good-bye to us. Too sweet. What a interesting thing to do, buying chickens. The speckled ones are pretty. So, how do you know about this pecking order process?
Interesting postcards again. The hummingbird one is pretty. We like to go to Colorado and stay in a cabin in the mountains. We hang a hummingbird feeder (red syrup, I think) and then watch them. A fascinating activity. Thanks for the visit. Happy T Day.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

OMGosh. I just left a VERY long post and hit the wrong button and lost it. I'm very frustrated. It was a long one, and I am going to go make a pot of coffee and try to calm down. I'll be back later when I'm not so mad at myself.

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Lisca, your postcards are beautiful, as always. But the stars of the show for me are those lovely chickens, what a wonderful idea! Your jigsaw puzzle is fabulous, I never have so much patience! And I'm trying not to think of the food as I have an appointment at the doctor's at 11:00 and need to fast till then! Nice photos of you, too. Hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Amazing birds, they are!
Dito for that president. And his family.
Reckon you´ll have the best eggs!

Oh, lucky you, our heating went on - and I´m too frugal to put mine on here.
What a "summer".

Mean puzzle, that!

Oh, that tea sounds YUM!!!! I love licorice!

You forgot to wave ;-)
Have a happy T-day, hugs from here.

Linda Kunsman said...

Wonderful postcards and stamps. We are lucky to have the ruby throated hummingbirds come frequently each year to our two feeders- from Spring til mid September. I always get a bit sad when I have to take down the feeders and clean and store them til the next year...
Your meal looks delicious , and yes, with a glass of white wine:)
And chickens- oh how fun is that!!! We are in the city so no farm animals are allowed at all.
Your framed puzzles on the wall look great displayed. It's been so long since I've attempted a puzzle. If one likes licorice I imagine that is a tasty tea- just not for me. Happy T day!

DVArtist said...

A lovely post. Wonderful cards and stamps. You must have a hug collection. I love that you got chickens. I use chicken feathers in some of my art, so I know how pretty your are. Fish pie, hmmm never had it do you have a recipe? Your place is so beautiful and I love your photo. Have a great day.

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous postcards! I loved seeing the hummingbird 😁. Your fish pie looks delicious and how exciting to have chickens, my sister used to have some and they were all characters ...lol! Happy T Day wishes! Hugs Jo x

Carola Bartz said...

Those are great postcards! Yes, you are right, hummingbirds are only found in the Americas. Here in California we have them year round, but also some migrating ones that only stop over. That Obama image was taken after his acceptance speech at the Democratic Convention - gosh, the girls were still so young.
Oh those chickens! How lovely to have them. All five are beauties. And fish pie? Yum!

Empire of the Cat said...

Oh I love those bioluminescence stamps Lisca, how cool are they! And how exciting to get chickens! I would love to have chickens but I would need to live somewhere else I think before I could do that. Yours look lovely, I'm sure they will sort out the pecking order and everyone will know their place with minimum fuss. And I also love that Three Licorice tea, I love all licorice tea lol, I have quite a lot of the other Pukka tea - the Licorice and Mint, that is really delicious. For a while, I was able to buy boxes of licorice tea and mint tea from the supermarket (much cheaper than Pukka) and just put two of each in the pot, and make my own licorice and mint, but now they have all stopped selling licorice tea on its own, so I am back to Pukka. Happy T Day Elle xx

Karen said...

wow ~ a windfall of greetings! ~ all those chickens in one box?! will you name them?? Enjoy watching them settle in. Great picture of you too! enjoy your week :)

Kate Yetter said...

Chickens!! How fun! I really want some and an hoping one day to add some to our yard. Looking forward to hearing more about how yours do.
Lovely postcards.
Your fish pie looks yummy. I have never had it but I expect it would taste good as I do like fish.
That tea looks like something that I like. I love licorice! I am so glad that you shared. I will have to look for this in the store.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

CJ Kennedy said...

Chickens! How cool is that to be able to have your own fresh, eggs. Dinner al fresco is so nice. The colorful pots with flowers on the wall behind your breakfast are beautiful. I'll wave back to you. Happy T Day!

Spyder said...

oh waht a great post, so much to read and see! from the cute chickens (or should I say hens) to the fish pie. My hubby makes a fabulous fish pie so creamy! Happy late T day! (on a Thurdsay! ) ((Lyn))