Tuesday 7 September 2021

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 7 September 2021 - T for books, books and more books (and a bit of hail)

 



Hello lovely peeps. 
I would like to show you two postcards I received this summer. Both are about books. This first one comes to me from Poland. It was sent to me in June by a girl called Hania. The card features some beautiful old books. They don't make them like that anymore. I remember the Reader's Digest used to imitate that and publish old looking books. But what's the point of buying abridged books? Still many people did as I remember.


The stamps are interesting.




Issued on October 7, 2020, a postage stamp  "Collegiate Stargard - Jewel of Western Pomerania" was introduced.

The stamp shows a fragment of a photo showing part of the altar, side pillars and part of the vault of the Collegiate Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Queen of the World in Stargard. Along the bottom edge there is the inscription "POLSKA" and the value "4 zlotys", as well as the inscription "Collegiata Stargard - Jewel of Western Pomerania"

This is a clearer photo of it:

Stargard is a city in North-west Poland with about 70,000 inhabitants. This is what the church looks like:

And here is an image from the other side:

The postcard was in an envelope and Hania had put cute stickers on the envelope to embellish it:
A handbag on the front,

And some lipstick on the back.

This beautiful metal feather was stuck on the back of the postcard. Really lovely.


My second card comes from Italy:

It shows a ladybird (I think in America they call it a ladybug). This particular ladybird is the logo of the famous Ladybird Books.
They were very popular in the 1960s as educational books for children. I particularly like the 'Wel-loved tales'.


In the 1960s and 1970s the company's Key Words Reading Scheme (launched in 1964) was heavily used by British primary schools, using a reduced vocabulary to help children learn to read. This series of 36 small-format hardback books presented stereotyped models of British family life – the innocence of Peter and Jane at play, Mum the housewife, and Dad the breadwinner.
But recently there are many spoofs for the adult market, like this one:
The stamp on the card is this one:


As you can see it has not been canceled. 
Here is an aerial photo of the piazza:
The symbol of Naples is definitely Piazza del plebiscito. Located in the heart of the city, surrounded by the Basilica of San Francesco di Paola, the Royal Palace, the Prefecture’s Palace and the Salerno Palace is one of the largest squares in Italy .
Here is another image with the Bay of Naples in the background:

Continuing on the theme of books, I have just thought that I haven't told you about the books that I have read for along time. 
I have discovered three authors that I like very much and I have been reading their books over the summer. The first one is Lucinda Riley, a very popular writer. My mother had read a series of books about 7 sisters and was very enthusiastic. (She has audio books of course). I have not read these yet but I managed to buy The Butterfly Room and Hothouse Flower.


The blurb of The Butterfly room:

Posy Montague is
approaching her seventieth birthday. Still living in her beautiful family home, Admiral House, set in the glorious Suffolk countryside where she spent her own idyllic childhood catching butterflies with her
beloved father, and raised her own children, Posy knows she must make an agonising decision. Despite the memories the house holds, and the exquisite garden she has spent twenty-five years creating, the house is crumbling around her, and Posy knows the time has come to sell it. Then a face appears from the past – Freddie, her first love, who abandoned her and left her heartbroken fifty years ago. Already struggling to cope with her son Sam’s inept business dealings, and the sudden reappearance of her younger son Nick after ten years in Australia, Posy is reluctant to trust in Freddie’s renewed affection. And unbeknown to Posy, Freddie– and Admiral House – have a devastating secret to reveal . . .

I did like Posy as she is exactly my age and I could identify with her. The story goes back to her youth and we learn something about her life which has not always been easy. We also meet her sons, who are very different from each other. There are twists and surprises here and there and every chapter we understand a bit more about the mystery,and the book kept me interested until the very end. 



The Hothouse Flower is really a holiday read. It is in essence a romance story with a bit more to it, as part of it is set ln Bangkok during WWII and now. I personally know Bangkok and it is described well. (apart from the 'colonial architecture' . Thailand was never a colony.)
The modern-day story centres around Julia Forrester, who grew up visiting an estate where her grandfather worked as a gardener, and was a particular expert in orchids. Recovering from a family tragedy in France, she meets Kit Crawford, the heir to the estate. The estate has fallen on hard times and he’s looking to sell. A diary uncovered here leads to the unravelling of a story featuring family secrets stretching back to the end of World War II. Involving an earlier heir to the estate’s affair with a Thai woman working at The Oriental hotel, the historical story shifts to Bangkok and briefly Ko Chang.
The whole story moves swiftly and is well paced. The hothouse flower refers to orchids that feature heavily in the book and also to a Thai lady. 

Another writer I like very much is Kate Quin. I had already read the historical novel The Alice Network some time back.


 (In this enthralling historical novel, two women—a female spy recruited to the real-life Alice Network in France during World War I and an unconventional American socialite searching for her cousin in 1947—are brought together in a mesmerizing story of courage and redemption.)

And now I have read The Rose Code, which was the best book I have read for a long time.

The Rose Code by Kate Quinn is a book about three female code breakers -- Osla, Mab and Beth -- at Bletchley Park during WWII. The women form a friendship (and a book club) over the years, but a betrayal and traitor among their colleagues lands one of them in locked up in an asylum in the years after the war.

I found all three protagonists very interesting and rooted for all three of them. One of the sub-plots featured Prince Philip marrying (the then) Princess Elizabeth. And very interestingly at the end of the book, the author explains which of the characters and situations are real and which are fictional. 

The third author I wanted to mention is Rhys Bowen. I have already read Above the Bay of Angels (About Queen Victoria in the south of France and her female chef), and The Tuscan Child (RAF pilot gets shot down over Tuscany during WWII and falls in love with a local girl), both historical novels which I really loved. Now I have read The Venice Sketchbook:


Again I really liked this one. Here is a summary:

Caroline Grant is struggling to accept the end of her marriage when she receives an unexpected bequest. Her beloved great-aunt Lettie leaves her a sketchbook, three keys, and a final whisper…Venice. Caroline’s quest: to scatter Juliet “Lettie” Browning’s ashes in the city she loved and to unlock the mysteries stored away for more than sixty years.

The story goes back and forth to Juliet's time spent in Venice during the WWII and Caroline in the present finding out what the keys are for and recognizing what's in the sketchbook. 

I have also bought The Victory Garden and Farleigh Field. I'm looking forward to reading those.

That's enough about books!

Let me tell you what is happening in my life: We have had our first egg! We have had our chickens now for more than a week. They have settled in after a pecking start trying to establish the pecking order. Two days ago we found our first egg. 



Of course there is no way of knowing which of the 'ladies' has gifted us with an egg...

On Sunday after church (2 pm) our friends mentioned that they had nothing prepared for lunch, and I replied that we didn't either. They then suggested we go out for lunch together. So we did!



Today is Elizabeth and Bleubeard's T-Party. Anyone with a drink or drink reference can join. So the above photo qualifies. And the next one does too:

Elizabeth mentions that we eat a lot. Actually, we have three meals a day. But I must admit that hubby went a bit overboard this time and had eyes that were bigger than his stomach:
It was a hamburger. The meat layer (which is difficult to see) was 1 inch thick! He actually ate all of it!
And this was our desert....

Note the two spoons. We shared.

We have had a freak hail storm. The weather is still warm and sunny. But a few days ago, out of the blue, we had this hail storm. This photo was taken by a friend from his car.

A lot of cars were damaged and crops ruined. Luckily we did not have any damage (Our vehicles are under cover).
The little park behind our house was covered in leaves and debris from the trees.


And this was my little patio:

That is it from me today.
Happy T-Day all!
Keep safe,
Hugs,
Lisca






15 comments:

Mae Travels said...

American primary education throughout the 20th century also used a variety of readers with manufactured stories to teach children to read while conveying the message of acceptable family life and gender roles. Similarly, there are many parodies! I liked the one you depicted.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

Thanks for the book recommendations. The Rose Code is something I put on my wish list. And congrats on the first egg. How exciting. And you did get some hail, didn't you? Hopefully you didn't get too much damage from it. And you lunch looks yummy. I love a burger with an egg on it. But this does look really large, but tasty too. Hope you have a wonderful T day Lisca. hugs-Erika

Linda Kunsman said...

fab postcards and stamps as usual, and thank you for the history and info -I love reading it.
Nice idea to go out for lunch with friends though we still don't do it except rarely. Looks yummy.
And oh my - that hail storm is crazy!! A shame it was enough to do damage.
Awesome to have your first egg. Tried to get the Paris Library book you recommended but there is a long waiting and hold queue at our local library. I'll get it eventually... happy T day!

Kate Yetter said...

What a great selection of book recommendations. I have read the Alice network and it was great. I will have to read her other book.
The church on the postcards is lovely!
How fun that your chicken laid an egg!
Your desserts look delicious.
That hail is huge but at least there was no damage!
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Carola Bartz said...

The Rose Code sounds very interesting - I will put that on my wishlist. I have read a couple books by Rhys Bowen. Your postcards are interesting. I actually was very near Stargard, in Szczecin. I liked Pomerania very much. My mother used to spend time there as a young woman (when it was part of Germany). I love spontaneous lunches and that dessert looks so delicious!

Valerie-Jael said...

I used to love the Ladybird books, they were very informative and well made. You got some beautiful postcards again. I would like to read the Rose Code, I visited Bletchley once, it was very interesting. Glad to hear that your chicken has done it's duty! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

nwilliams6 said...

Great postcards, stamps and goodies. I had no idea that ladybirds and ladybugs are the same thing. I had never heard of the readers either. Thanks for sharing all that.

Super looking meal and drinks - I especially love that burger with an egg. Fun to go out with friends.

All the books sound great. I read The Alice Network so I know I would love the Rose Code. I also have read and loved the Farleigh Field so I am pretty sure I would love the Venice Sketchbook.

That hail looks very dangerous. Glad you did not have damage.

Looks like a fun week! Happy T-day!!!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Loved your postcards, Lisca. They were so lovely. And of course, I love reading about the stamps of the church. Just beautiful.

The Ladybird series reminds me of the Little Readers I got as a child. From what remember, they were put out by Scholastic Co. My grandmother said she read them when she was a child, and she wanted me to have the same experience. Thankfully by the time I got my first one, they were far more modern and less stereotypical. Loved the spoofs, too.

There was a show on PBS (public broadcasting) about a group of women who worked at Bletchley Park during the war. After the war, five of the women kept in touch. When one of the women died, the other four set out to prove she had been murdered, even though it was ruled natural causes. It was a wonderful series, so I'm sure I would like The Rose Code, too.

You got a LOT of hail. So sad to see your patio and the damage and destruction the hail caused to the plants.

Goodness. That was a big burger. Unbelievable. I eat one meal a day, and if I ate three meals a day like that, as I've said before, I would be waddling. Do I actually see a stout beer? The only kind I'll drink. Thanks for sharing your postcards, stamps, new books you are reading, and your meals and beer with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.

Divers and Sundry said...

We had some of the Ladybird books when the kids were little. Fun memories. Congratulations on your first egg! That's a monster burger lol, definitely suited for the special occasion of a gathering with friends. The dessert looks tempting. I'm sorry about the hail damage :(

Happy T Tuesday!

Let's Art Journal said...

Such fabulous postcards and I love those ladybird books, I use to read them as a kid and have read all three of the ones in the picture - The Little Red Hen was one of my favourites 😁. Looks like you had a lovely time at the restaurant and your meal looks delicious. Great to see your first egg and wow, this hailstones really could do some damage! Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

CJ Kennedy said...

We had Dick and Jane as primary readers. The children had a puppy named Spot, a cat named Puff, and a little sister, named Sally. Congratulations on your fist egg! Some friends of ours have chickens and the girls have stopped laying eggs in their coop because some snakes got in. So now the friends said every day is an Easter egg hunt looking where the girls laid their eggs! That is one monster burger. I'd skip that and just have the dessert. Happy T Day

Sharon Madson said...

Wow, that was some hail storm! Great photos to show the hail. Your dessert looked great. I will eat that (no 2 spoons), you take the hamburger. LOL Some of your books sound good. I made a note of that first author. So, did you eat your first egg? Happy T Day!

Iris Flavia said...

So many books! Yummy food, too, oh the hail... horrible. I once had to work many hours as I was on the freeway with the company car when that happened. Bad memories... And I still think it was not fair I had to "pay" for this.

DVArtist said...

Lots of nice books. Ohhh your first egg! This is exciting. Wow hail. It can be so damaging. All of the food looks amazing.

Empire of the Cat said...

Oh I recognise the cover of that Puss in Boots book! I saw one recently in a charity shop. All your food looks fantastic too and those old books, I like to collect some that I find on my travels. Freak hail storms I am less keen on lol Happy belated T day Elle/EOTC xx