Tuesday 19 April 2022

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 19 April 2022 - T for Tuesday - T for ...Dubai and tapas

 

Hello lovely ladies. How are you all? 
We are doing okay and enjoying our stay in Granada. No, not Grenada as one of my followers commented. Nothing as exotic as that. Grenada is an island in the Caribbean!  A few years ago, when we still lived in Bristol, there was a story in the local newspaper that a lady from Bristol had always wanted to see the Alhambra in Granada and she booked a flight to go there. But she found herself on a plane bound for the Caribbean, as she booked a flight to Grenada in stead of Granada! The story got around and I think the newspaper later paid for a flight to the right location in exchange for her story. One letter can make a lot of difference.
But let me not digress.... A postcard is what this blog is all about:

Dubai! My first card from Dubai! But when I turned the card round to look at the stamps, this is what I found:

Of course they are beautiful stamps, just not what I expected. 
The card was sent by someone called Trevan. Who is originally from Sri Lanka but came to the USA with his family as a child. He travels a lot and this card was one from his recent travels.
Dubai is an ultra modern city that not so long ago was desert:

Dubai is a city and emirate in the United Arab Emirates known for luxury shopping, ultramodern architecture and a lively nightlife scene. Burj Khalifa, an 830m-tall tower, dominates the skyscraper-filled skyline. 


At its foot lies Dubai Fountain, with jets and lights choreographed to music. 


On artificial islands just offshore is Atlantis, The Palm, a resort with water and marine-animal parks. 
Here is a closer look:
There is (an expensive) shopping mall:

Below is the Burj Al Arab, a luxury hotel.


From an architectural point of view it's amazing. It must have been wonderful for architects to be able to go completely mad as money wasn't an object it seems. But otherwise it saddens me to see all this opulence when there is so much poverty in the world. My only consolation is that one day the oil wells will dry up and then they will have to find some other means of income. 
Enough of that. We are now in Granada.  Let me show you what we did this afternoon:

This is a tapa. It comes free with a drink. They are toasted bread rolls with rotisserie cooked pork meat. Really delicious. There were four of us, so four drinks and four tapas. In the whole of the province of Granada, the tapas are free. 
Here you see hubby and our friends. Kim and I are having white wine. This will be my qualifier for Elizabeth and Bluebeard’s T-Party. 

We’re sitting outside as the weather is lovely.
I’m writing this late on Monday night. It’s nearly lights out time.
Happy T-Day all!
Hugs,
Lisca












16 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Lisca, your posts are always so interesting and I always leave learning new things-love that. Happy T hugs

Empire of the Cat said...

Dubai is very popular as a holiday destination isn't it but I don't fancy it. I have been to another Atlantis, the one in the Bahamas, it was very high end and amazing, with underwater restaurants etc. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

nwilliams6 said...

Lisca, happy T-day.

Great post card and stamps. Dubai looks amazing and it is amazing what they have done. We have offices there and when the people from there come here to visit they are so stylish, classy, and impecably dressed. We are so amazed. Their hair, shoes, and clothes are perfect. They are so well educated as well. Makes us feel frumpy, but we love when they come.

Your trip sounds interesting and how fun to see how different places treat things differently. No free anything with your drinks around here unless you go to a Mexican restaurant and get chips and salsa. Drinks are getting more expensive too - Saturday our drinks were only a few $ less than our dinners....maybe water with our dinners soon!

Enjoy the rest of your trip. Hugz

Divers and Sundry said...

That's a lot of food to come free with the drink! It looks like enough for lunch for me :) Nice! I'm looking forward to temps warm enough to sit outside like that. Happy T Tuesday

My name is Erika. said...

I would have probably spelled Granada wrong also. It is really confusing for certain. Glad you are able to get away a little bit. And I like your postcard, and it would be great to see the architecture, but like you, I think Dubai is a little to fancy-pancy for my taste too. I like the camel on the postcard though. When my daughter was younger we went to London for a week and she wanted to go to the zoo, so we did. When we got to the camel I could tell he was about to do his business. Well she and my husband were amazed I could tell. They called me the camel whisperer. All it really was was that he lifted his tail. Nothing amazing. But it makes a fun memory and good story too. I hope you are making fun memories in Granada too. Enjoy your trip. hugs-Erika

Linda Kunsman said...

Love the postage and card , and oh how cool it would be to visit Dubai- so modern and fascinating!
I love that you get tapa free with a drink- I don't know of anywhere else that offers that. Cheers, and happy T day!

jinxxxygirl said...

What a great trip you took us on.. Glad to see you are squeezing in some happy times.. The architecture is just amazing.. I'd love to see some of that in person.. highly unlikely to happen.. lol Happy happy T day! HUGS! deb

Let's Art Journal said...

Such fabulous postcards, what lovely places! That tapas looks so good and it looks like you all had a wonderful time 😀. Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

Valerie-Jael said...

Love he card, but I'm no a fan of Dubai. As you say, so many people live in uter proverty. Your tapas look great, here you always have to pa for them! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Kate Yetter said...

Have fun in Granada! I am so glad that you made the distinction between that and Grenada. I would have never known they were two different places. That is really neat that tapas are free throughout the whole province! They look and sound delicious.
Loved all the postcards today. Dubai seems like an exotic place and definitely worth the experience. I would love to travel there. That skyscraper is talked about all the time in our house as my son really wants to visit it.
Enjoy your travels.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

DVArtist said...

I agree with you about the richness of Dubai. Interesting that the stamps are from the US. Glad you are having a good time.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I waited as long as I could to visit today because I wanted to make sure others had visited you, since I couldn't find your e-mail address.

I loved seeing the postcard from Dubai. I have a friend who visited Dubai and he and his partner loved it there. They didn't do much shopping, but they visited a lot of the places like that. It seems they also spent more money per day there than they did in any other city they visited.

Sorry Lisca. Those tapas don't look all that appealing to this vegetarian. However, it was great to see Graham smiling and so happy.

Thanks for sharing your postcard, your tapas, the explanation of Granada, and your drinks with us for T this Tuesday.

If you want to join the napkin swap, please send only single ply napkins (and hopefully an ATC) and I will pay the return postage. No need to worry about sending any money or anything else. This will be my treat to you and Jo. I will know by mid June how many napkins to send when I close the swap. All napkins will be returned on our anniversary.

Sharon Madson said...

Love all the photos of Dubai, and the postcards. I have seen a couple of specials on tv how they built that island. I love their architecture, but don't think I would ever want to go. Happy T Day.

Carola Bartz said...

What a fun post today. My daughter spent 21 hours in Dubai when she flew to South Africa, in that time she managed to go up the Burj Khalifa (she had bought tickets online in advance), watch the fountains and stroll around the shopping malls. She said the malls were really impressive with a ton of creative art inside. It was fun for a day, but I think she was glad when she was on her way again. She also didn't like the excessive heat there.
The tapa looks delicious and it is free! How come it is free? I feel there might be a story behind that...

Iris Flavia said...

I am with you with the architectural idea.
Other we once went to Perth via Dubai and despite it was an international airport men looked at me disgusted aas my summer hat was in the suitcase and hence my head "naked".
It was winter in Germany, btw.

Great pic of you all!

Bridget Larsen said...

Well I would have been in the same predicament as that lady and would have not know otherwise. Love those Dubai building but am afraid to even visit due to the opulence, I would look like a pauper
Bridget #20