Saturday 2 April 2022

A Postcard A Day - Saturday 2 April 2022 - Second on the 2nd

 Hello lovely ladies,

No postcard today but an old post from 2015 to join Elizabeth and Bluebeard for Second on the 2nd, where we show an old blogpost. Mine is a What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday post where my friends Antonia and the two Patricias and me came together to do some crafting. You might recognize my friends as they feature in several of my blogs.

Here it is:

It’s Wednesday again and today I’m showing you the desk (i.e. table) with all the action. This is at my friend Antonia’s house (the lady on the right). My friends wanted to start scrapbooking and I had promised to do a session with them. We did A4 format as that format is easiest to buy things for in the local shops. I took a crate full of stash over to Antonia’s and here we are having scrapping fun. On the left is Patricia from Mexico and in the middle is Patricia from Peru. Antonia is Spanish and I am Dutch. Quite the united nations!



While we waited for the other girls to arrive Antonia showed me her cheese making equipment as she had made a lovely goat’s cheese the week before. The freshly made cheese gets put in the baskety round thing that then gets tightened. A weight is put on top so that the liquid is being squeezed out and runs along the little ‘channels’ into a bucket. Clever he?


Where in England people drink tea and in US girls drink coffee when they get together, here in Andalucia we drink ‘infusion’ or herbal drinks. Sometimes we use ‘tea’ bags we buy in the shops but more often than not they are dried herbs that have been picked locally. Some herbs are quite bitter so I usually add a leaf of Stevia ( the dried leaves in the plastic bag). 

They are real sweet. I want to watch my weight but don’t like to take artificial sweeteners. This is a really good solution.  Many of my friends are from South America, and they are in the habit of drinking a caffeinated herbal drink called ‘mate’ (pronounced: ma-tay).

 It is drunk from a special beaker and a straw. Drinking through the straw prevents you getting ‘bits’ in your mouth. 

The beaker gets passed around and everyone gets a turn. The same beaker gets filled up with hot water after each person has had a drink. These photos I got from Wikipedia as I forgot to photograph my friends’ beaker (which is a shame because hers is much nicer).

I’m sorry if I haven’t visited so many desks last week. It has been a hectic week. Will try to do better this week.

And if you are wondering what this desk hopping is all about, visit Julia’s blog at http://www.stamping-ground.blogspot.com.es/ where it all will become clear.

Have a good week everyone,
Greetings from sunny Spain,
Lisca

4 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I've heard of mate before as I know people who have lived or long term visited South America. I've never tried it though. And no coffee for me. I'd try that mate. Thanks for sharing this post as I have never seen it before. Have a great weekend Lisca and second on the second. I hope you're having a good start to the new month. hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

How wonderful that you were able to share your scrapbooking skills with your friends. It's nice to know they are still living close by, too.

I was surprised by that cheese press. It was quite unique and unusual.

I've had yerba mate before, but it was served cold, not hot. Thanks for sharing this really informative post with us as your second look on the 2nd, dear.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I saw your comment about Vanilla Fudge. They were influenced by lots of hard rock groups and even did a tribute to The Beatles. Since I wasn't a Beatles fan, I didn't realize Eleanor Rigby was originally done by the Beatles. The slow hard rock organ heavy sound and arrangement was so different from how the Beatles performed it, I was surprised when I first heard the Beatles arrangement. I think "You keep me hanging on" is probably their best known hit. It was a slow, heavy rock arrangement originally sung by the Supremes.

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun post for 2nd on the 2nd, its alwsays interesting to read how other people live, what they drink etc. Happy 2nd on the 2nd, hugs, Valerie