Tuesday 12 April 2022

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 12 April 2022 - T for Tuesday

 Hello lovely girls,

Here we are on Tuesday already! The week goes so quickly. Today I have two Italian themed cards for you (but neither are actually from Italy):

These are the fountains of Trevi in Rome (by night) .
It was sent to me by Paula, who lives in Poland and who had been on holiday to Rome with her sister. She lives in Poland and says she has fond memories of the Rome, and so have I actually.

The stamp  is Polish and features Jerzy Iwanow-Szajnowicz, who was a Polish-Greek athlete (he was a swimmer and water-polo player)who fought as a saboteur in the Greek Resistance during World War II and was executed by the Germans.


 He was born in Warsaw on 14 December 1911, as the son of the Russian army colonel Count Vladimir Ivanov, and a Polish mother. His parents divorced soon after. His mother married a Greek, Ioannis Lambrinidis, and together they emigrated to Thessaloniki in northern Greece in 1926. Read more about him here.


The second card is from Japan:



It was sent by Lidia, who is Russian, but lives in Japan. This pizza chef was drawn by Veronica Guerra. 



The stamps are very pretty. The left one in about International Letter Writing Week, which is always celebrated with a special stamp. This was 2021. 


The one thing that always reminds me of Italy (I used to live and work there for 15 years) is the Ape. Ape (pron ah-pay) is Italian for 'bee'. This funny vehicle is made by Vespa (who make the scooters), which means 'wasp'. 

These three wheelers are being used everywhere, in the city as well as in the country. I remember in our village, the man who brought the gas bottles always used an ape. And of course grapes or olives were transported in these handy vehicles.

Wikipedia says this: The Piaggio Ape is a three-wheeled light commercial vehicle, manufactured and marketed by Piaggio as an adaption of the company's Vespa scooter — in continuous production since its 1948 introduction and offered in numerous body configurations, serving a range of utilitarian functions.

Initially marketed as the VespaCar or TriVespa, Piaggio subsequently marketed the utility vehicle as the Ape — derived from the Italian for bee;  its scooter marketed as the Vespa, meaning wasp.


They get used to transport all sorts of things, like you see here: clothes.




Of course the use I like best is the drinks. There are so many. I have plucked a few from the Internet:



The most well known is the Prosecco bar. Apparently they are very popular at large parties and weddings.

I think it's an good idea

In fact I think it's an excellent idea.
Such an excellent idea that these photos are my qualifier for the T-Party.


What is happening here in Spain? Hubby is having chemo and radiotherapy at the same time. He has to travel to Granada every day. The transport ambulance picks him up at 7 in the morning, so we are up at 6! The journey is two hours.  We are both completely exhausted (although I don't go with him)! So much so that I have rented some accommodation near the hospital, where we will go on Easter Monday and stay for a week. If we like it, we will book another two weeks.

On Saturday our Danish friends next door invited us to lunch. That was very brave considering hubby has such a restrictive diet at the moment.
Hubby can't eat any vegetables, has to have everything low-fat and bland...

No alcohol or fizz...

His dessert was yoghurt with honey.

While hubby had to drink water (nothing wrong with that!), I had rosé.

The white house behind my head is our house. And this was the view from the window that morning:


That is it from me. I'm off to visit Elizabeth and Bleubeard at The Altered Book Lover.
Greetings from Spain,
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca



17 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Lisca, I enjoyed the postcards and history and beautiful stamps this time too.
I love this little vehicle so cute-I enjoyed reading about those and all the different ways they are used. Have never seen these before
so sorry about the long days for your husband's treatments, that sounds less stressful to move near by for awhile-hoping that works out. prayers for your husband and you too. hugs Happy T

My name is Erika. said...

I love reading about the Ape. We have a TV show here in the US called Pickers, about 2 men who go buying up old things to fix up and resell. On a few shows they've done the Ape, so I knew a little bit what they were. But now I know a lot more. I hope your husband is doing OK with his treatments. He looks good and looks in good spirits which is important. Take care, and have a great week. hugs-Erika

Valerie-Jael said...

Nice postcards, very international today! I see a lot of those apes here in Dsseldorf as a delivery firm is using them for their food and grocery orders the look fun! The view from your house is breathtaking! Have a great week, happy T Day, Valerie

Mae Travels said...

Fuel cost has motivated Europeans to have very efficient vehicles for so many purposes -- the little delivery 3-wheeler is a great (and picturesque) example. We Americans are going to have to learn to be more efficient too, and stop using huge trucks for little jobs.

Good luck on the treatments.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Let's Art Journal said...

We fell in love with Apes when we were in Italy and I like all those pictured in your post 😀. Ape's are one of my hubby's favourite vehicles, he keeps looking at them and would like to buy one. Looks like you enjoyed your meal with friends, so nice to see you hubby's smiling face! Wishing you both well! Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

Divers and Sundry said...

I love the little 3-wheeled vehicle. Cool! It's a shame the travel time for treatment is so long, and I hope the place you try out works well for future stays.

Happy T Tuesday!

Linda Kunsman said...

It was many years ago that I was in Italy, but I remember it well and loved it!! I don't remember those Apes though. But what fun!
Nice of your Danish neighbors to accommodate for your hubby. He looks good , and I'm glad to see his smile. I hope staying closer to the hospital will work out for you both. Happy T day!

Darla said...

Your postcards and stamps are always so interesting and more so because you give us a bit of history to go with them. You ask about if the envelopes in my booklet are open - yes they all are "pockets" like the one I put the bird ACT in. I just covered some to make them flat pages.

Hope you stay near the hospital works out for you and that your husband is getting the treatments he needs.

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, you lived in Italy? How wonderful! Qould you care to share?
We went to Tuscany and it was one of the best holidays ever.
Those vehicles you (seldom) find here, too.

Sorry about the troubles with your Hubby, yay for your solution and his happy face! And yours, too.

Hugs and all the best from here!

jinxxxygirl said...

Lisca how fascinating.. love your postcards and postage stamps and the views of those marvelous vehicles. Best wishes to you and hubby. You'll get through this. You have to believe! Sending you some strength and hugs from TX. and Happy happy Tday! Hugs! deb

DVArtist said...

Lovely cards. I do like the one from Japan the best. Graham looks good for what he is going through. Love and light to you both.

Carola Bartz said...

Beautiful postcards and stamps! Oh, I remember the Ape, fun little vehicles and so handy. Your husband looks good spirited, I hope he is doing well with the chemo and radiotherapy. That is a lot at the same time. No wonder that both of you are exhausted.

Kate Yetter said...

Your postcards were interesting. I just heard of the trevi fountain this week because my in-laws just visited and posted picture of them at the fountain. What a beautiful piece of art.
How fun that you used to live in Italy. Those vehicles are like stores on wheels. Very practical.
Hope your hubby is coping well with his limited diet. I know that can be difficult.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I always love your postcards. They are wonderful and these are super great. Food in the second one and a lovely scene of the Trevi Fountain in the other.

Nice to see Graham laughing. He is always so upbeat. Looks like you and your friends had fun, even if Graham had to drink nothing but water.

Those Vespas or APEs are adorable. Very clever indeed. Nice that you used the wine one for your T qualifier today. Thanks for sharing the postcards, stamps, APEs and fun at your friend's house with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.

Sharon Madson said...

Lisca, this is a delightful post. I love the apes! So fun! Your hubby and you are really going through a lot, but you both seem so upbeat! I really like the photos of each of you. I liked the Japanese chef postcard. Thank you for watching my movie. :) I was so proud of myself that I figured out how to imbed it! LOL I hope you have a nice Easter, and that you enjoy your week stay in Granada. Get some rest. :)

CJ Kennedy said...

So fun to learn about the postcards and stamps. The apes are adorable, and I like the idea of the prosecco bar. Looks like a good time at your neighbor's, and your husband looks very handsome in his straw hat. Sending healing thoughts for the both of you. Happy T Day

Empire of the Cat said...

Those little three wheelers are so cute. We used to have a less cute three wheeler here - if you ever watched Only Fools and Horses you would recognise them. Billy Connolly used to have story about them in the winter, when everyone is driving in the tracks left by regular cars and then one of these turns up making a third track and confusing everyone lol. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx