Tuesday 8 February 2022

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 7 February 2022 - T for royalty, gin&tonic and Rotterdam

 

Good morning lovely ladies,
I'm still in the Netherlands, and my mother is a lot better (she had had a fall). I'll tell you a bit more later, but lets start with my postcard for today. 
My hubby has emptied our postbox and has photographed a few postcards with his phone. 
My card for today comes from Norway. It shows a 40 yr old image of the Norwegian royal family:

The man in the picture is King Harald V, born on 21 February 1937.
Son of King, then Crown Prince, Olav V and Crown
Princess Märtha. Succeeded his father as king of Norway on 17 January 1991. Consecrated in Nidaros Cathedral on 23 June 1991. Children: Princess Märtha Louise and
Crown Prince Haakon.

This is what he looks like now:

His wife is Queen Sonja, born Sonja Haraldsen on 4 July 1937.
Married then Crown Prince Harald in Oslo Cathedral on
29 August 1968. Became queen on 17 January 1991. Consecrated in Nidaros Cathedral on 23 June 1991. Children: Princess Märtha Louise and
Crown Prince Haakon.

Here she is:

Their son is
Crown Prince Haakon, born on 20 July 1973
Son of King Harald V and Queen Sonja. Heir to the throne. Married Mette-Marit Tjessem Høiby in Oslo Cathedral on
25 August 2001. Children: Princess Ingrid Alexandra
and Prince Sverre Magnus.

Here is a recent photo:


Did you notice that his sister Martha Louise is older, but that he is the crown prince....  At birth, she was not in line to the throne, because until 1990, only males could inherit the Norwegian throne (Salic law).
Princess Martha Louise, is fourth inline for the Norwegian throne after her nephew prince Sverre Magnus.
And here is a recent family photo of the king and queen with their eldest son and his wife and children:

Here is the stamp that was on the card:

It looks like a sweet calf. It's from a series about domesticated animals:
OK what have I been up to...
It's been a slightly stressful time and one of he first things I treated myself to were some gin and tonic glasses.
Don't worry, everything is fine but I have used them once as my sister had bought a bottle of Tanqueray Seville (with bitter orange), and I was keen to try that. (Yes, it's delicious)


My mum has been transferred to a rehabilitation center. It is right on the other side of the city but there is a very good connection with the metro. It takes me exactly an hour from door to door.
Here are some images I took from the window of a moving metro train (above ground):
The pointy thing in the middle is the bridge over the river Maas. Here is a better image from the Internet:


Below is a tower visible to the left of the middle. That is the Euromast.

The Euromas was built in 1960, and I remember it being built. It's not very clear on my photo, so here is a better one:
There is a restaurant in that bulbous bit.

The building where mum is now is unassuming, but inside is really nice.
It feels like a hotel. This door is mum's room:

There are vintage photos of the Rotterdam harbour.
The room is long and narrow. On one side is her bed:

On the other side is a sitting area:

And in the middle is a desk and a large TV screen.

So after we took her there, my cousin and I had a bit to eat at the adjoining shopping mall.
And as this is T for Tuesday, hosted by Elizabeth and Bleubeard, here is my qualifyer: tonic water. (Here it still comes in a glass bottle)

Yesterday (Monday) mum has started her excercises, and her hairdresser came to do her hair:
And here I am with a happy mother:
I will close with yesterday's sunset out of mum's window. (You can see my reflection)


Wishing you all a happy T-Day,
Take care,
Keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca
















16 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Lisca I always enjoy reading about all the history you share with us-great stamps too.
So wonderful that you are able to stay with your Mum, and good to read she is doing better. Looks like a really nice room she is in.
Take care of you too-hugs Happy T Kathy

Mae Travels said...

Good to hear that your mother is doing well and even having her hair done! Her rehab room looks great. I assume that her national insurance covers what she needs to get better — a contrast to our country (the US) I wish you a good stay in Rotterdam as long as you need to stay, and also good wishes to your husband.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

DVArtist said...

I am glad to hear your mom is doing better and so nice the hairdresser came in to do her hair. Interesting card too. I do like the cow stamp though. I enjoyed the photos.

My name is Erika. said...

It is good to hear your mom has moved to rehab. And getting her hair done. It can be exhausting visiting people. Do you go every day Lisca? Will you stay until she goes home? And I love the cow postage stamp on that postcard. Cows are just sweet creatures. I hope you have a happy T day Lisca and week ahead. Enjoy that gin-smile. Hugs-Erika

Linda Kunsman said...

Nice to hear and see that your Mom is doing much better. Looks like the accommodations are very good too. Wonderful postcards. The royal family were certainly formal and highly decorated early on. Fun to see the younger ones dressed more casually in the photos here. Happy T day!
LOVE the sweet animal postage!

Kate Yetter said...

Looks like a beautiful place where your mum lives. The rehab looks like a very nice place, not a hospital at all. She looks beautiful after her hair appointment. So nice that they came to her.
Loved seeing the postcards and reading a bit about the royal family.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Sharon Madson said...

So glad to hear your mum is doing so well. She really looks great. What great photo of the two of you. It sounds like you are really making the best of the situation, even getting photos on the go. And that is wonderful you hubby was able to help with your post by sending photos to you from his phone. He is definitely a keeper. Happy t day.

Iris Flavia said...

Dunno. I think they all look more beautiful today!
What is it, life experience? Cute stamps!!
Good news about your Mum and interesting bridge.

No way I would pay the restaurant a visit, LOL.
Happy post, happy T-day, hugs!

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely postcard, lots of great photos- Sorry about your mum, hope she is soon really better. Happy T Day! Hugs! Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's great to read that your mom is doing better. I am sure you are relieved, too. What an unusual postcard and a great way to give us a bit of history and such with it. That cow is cute. Love the other stamp, too.

What nice photos you got on the train. Gives me an idea of the city, too.

Nice to see your mom up and even getting her hair done. That is a nice looking rehab facility. Nice designs on the walls, too.

Of course, you just had to show FOOD, and that is a lovely sandwich to go with your tonic water. Thanks for sharing your food and tonic water, in addition to your time in the Netherlands and your postcard of the Norwegian first family with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca. BTW, I meant to stop by on Friday and time got away from me.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm glad your mom is doing well and has such a nice place to do her rehab.

I didn't realize there were particular glasses for G&T. Cool! Happy T Tuesday

Let's Art Journal said...

It's wonderful to see your mum doing so well, sending her wishes for a speedy recovery 😀. The postcards and postage stamps are fabulous too! Happy T Day wishes! Hugs Jo x

CJ Kennedy said...

Always fun to see your postcards and stamps. The US Postal Service issued some farm animal stamps, but they aren't really cute. I like the little piggy stamp. You mother's rehab room does look like a hotel. Such a nice picture of you and your mom, too. Wishing her well. Happy T Day

Darla said...

I read back a few posts to catch up with the reason for your trip. It is so worring when our parent are far away but it seems you got there in good time. Glad to see the photo of the two of you looking happy.

You always give us such a great history lesson with the postcards you show. I enjoy the posts a lot.

Empire of the Cat said...

Glad to hear your mum is doing better Lisca. Love the postcard, they look like such a nice family, very interesting to read about them. Happy T Day Elle/EOTC xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Your mum looked happier after the hairdressing was finished I think !!! You must have quite a collection of postcards now. Hugs, Angela xXx