Tuesday 22 February 2022

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 22 February 2022 -T for bees and Gouda

 Hello lovely ladies, it's Tuesday again and I'm going to join the ladies of the T-gang at the T-Party hosted by Elizabeth and Bleubeard.

Today I'm going to show my photos from Gouda and the shop front that Kate Yetter painted.

But first let me share this postcard with you:

I love this card because I love bees. And look at those hives! Aren't they lovely decorated. 
The card was sent to me by Anita, who lives in Slovenia. Her town is called Kranj, a lovely city in the Gorenjska region surrounded by mountains.
The Kokra river runs through Kranj.

The info on the back of the card reads: Bee-Aware represents cooperation project between CIPRA International Partnership "Alliance in the Alps" and Alpine town of the year. The project is co-founded by an animal protection foundation and the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety Germany (BMU).

The stamp has this cute water shrew on it. 


Mediterranean water shrew

It feeds mainly on amphibians and small fish, but also take insects and worms.

Because of its small size and thus higher surface area to volume ratio, it loses body heat more quickly and must eat two or three times its body mass each day.

Now let's go to Gouda! I went there because it's only one stop on the train from where my mum lives in Rotterdam and I wanted to see the shop front that Kate Yetter had painted from a photo.

This is the street where the shop is. It's a typically Dutch canal street:

Here is the shop on the right. 


Unfortunately it was closed!


It looks like it was closed on Kate's photo as that same 'sombrero' that reads 'closed' is on the door.
It looks like the owner parks his/her bike in the shop.


I peeped inside and I saw rows of oriental tea cups. (These could be my ticket to the T-Party.) I couldn't avoid the reflection of the buildings on the opposite side of the street.

Here it is and it looks like it has been closed for a while. Probably since the start of the Covid restrictions.


Here is a little ceramic turtle and some tea pots from the window display (another ticket to the T-Party):

The other window:

A last glimpse and then I went to see more of Gouda.

The street from the other side:


Gouda is a really lovely little town and next week I will show you more photos of it. 

That is it from me today. 
I hope you enjoyed the little excursion into Gouda.

Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca


16 comments:

Kate Yetter said...

Hi Lisca, I love that postcard of the bees and the very colorful hives. Kranj is a beautiful place.
Thank you so much for sharing Gouda. What a charming place. I loved seeing the shopfront and all the window displays. I would love to rummage through the stacks of oriental teacups. SO funny that the hat is their closed sign. I found it odd that a large round plate was on the door. Now I know it is a hat. How disappointing that it was closed as I would have loved to see more of the inside. Thank you for taking the time to visit and for sharing your photos! Looking forward to Gouda part 2, next week.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Linda Kunsman said...

What beautiful postcards! Love the colorful bee hives. And oh how wonderful you actually saw the shop in Gouda in person and shared Kate's fabulous painting of it!! Too bad it's been closed- it surer looks like a fun place to visit. I love the photo with the reflection of the street in it. Happy T day!

Carola Bartz said...

Of course I have to think of the cheese with the same name when I hear Gouda. I remember fondly the differently aged gouda we could get in Germany, so delicious. So sad that the store has been closed, it looks like it has some lovely items inside. I like the old-fashioned scale.

My name is Erika. said...

It is really fun that you got to see the shop Kate drew in real life. I liked seeing the similarities to Kate's sketch too. Hers is a wonderful sketch and she really captured the building you showed us in your photograph. Of course, it does look a bit different standing on its own in Kate's sketch compared to being adjacent to the 2 other buildings as it really is. I like how you used the Asian tea cups you saw for T this week. And that is certainly a lot of stacked beehives in your postcard today. It was fascinating to look at since I have a hive of bees, but those hives are different from what I have seen here in the US. I wonder how he get into the top hives, as that man looks tall and there are hives above his head. It's always fascinating to see other people in other places do things. Thanks for sharing that too Lisca. Have a great T day and week ahead. Hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

That's a charming shop, and I love the hints of great collectors' items of blue and white china and other lovely things. Too bad it's closed. All your photos are fascinating.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Sharon Madson said...

I love the Mediterranean water shrew postage stamp. How fun that you have in real life photos of the shop that Kate sketched. I would love to go through the shop. You got great photos even though it was closed. Thanks for sharing with us. Happy T Day.

Iris Flavia said...


Isn´t it fun how bloggers help each other, if it is visiting a sadly closed shop?
The town is really beautiful, but the name makes me so hungry! ;-)
Happy T-day!

nwilliams6 said...

So cool, Lisca. All very interesting pictures and details. I am so impressed you visited another of Kate's shop fronts (a bit jealous too - lol). You live and visit very cool places I only dream of! Happy T-day and many hugz (oned to your Mum as well).

Valerie-Jael said...

How fun that you found the house that Kate painted. Gouda is a beautiful place, I love the cheese, too. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Divers and Sundry said...

So many lovely tea things :) I hope all the shops are able to re-open soon.

Happy T Tuesday!

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous postcards and I so enjoyed visiting Gouda with you 😀. Happy T Day wishes! Hugs Jo x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was here last night, but got an error when I tried to publish, so gave up and went to bed, as I was exhausted from playing cat duty. As soon as I saw the postcard, I thought of Erika. I am glad she got to see it. I wonder how heavy those bee boxes are.

What a great way top share your time in Gouda with Kate's lovely drawing. I noticed even the wind chimes were drawn in place. Too bad the store was closed. I was in awe of all those tea cups you photographed in the store. I was also in awe of that Egyptian cat and the scales. But of course, the oriental tea cups were the most fun to peruse and where perfect for T this Tuesday.

CJ Kennedy said...

How fun to visit that shop. Lots of pretty things in the windows. Sad that the store closed or went out of business due to Covid. Happy T Day

R's Rue said...

What beautiful postcards and images.

DVArtist said...

I think that is so cool you visited a shop that Kate painted, then showed us what is inside of the store. What a connection. I too like the card but I really like the stamp. Have a great day.

Empire of the Cat said...

How fun that you visited a shop that Kate had painted, it was so fun to see the real life photos and then Kate's painting. Too bad it was closed, it looks like a really interesting shop. I also love bees and those hives are so cool. Oh and the water shrew, what a cute little guy. Happy T Day Elle/EOTC xx