Friday 25 February 2022

A Postcard A Day - Friday 24 February 2022 - Friday Smiles

 Hello lovely ladies, it's Friday again. It comes around so quickly, I feel time is running away from me! 

On Friday I always stop and think back over the week and give thanks for the good things, and remember what made me smile this week. 

I always start with a postcard as I am in a postcard exchange club called Postcrossing and a postcard in my postbox is always worth a smile.

Seen the situation in the Ukraine, I decided to show you a card from that country. It was sent to me on the 12th of January, but I didn't receive it until the 16th of February. It took that long to arrive (But it arrived!)

I have written in my profile that I like 'doors and windows', so Maria, who sent me this card , has chosen this beautiful old door for me. 
She apologizes for her limited English, but then mentions that she is only 13 years old. She lives in the capital Kiyv (Kiev), far away from the current conflict. But nevertheless...
The stamp is beautiful: 

It is part of a series of Europa stamps called Endangered National Wildlife. They were issued in June 2021 and were designed by Olga Symonenko.


If you want to learn more about the Ukraine. This website explains it succinctly and with maps and facts. Have a look.

So what has my week been like? Up and down as with everything. Here are some collages of my (not at all boring) life:

Once a month we get together with our friends D and P. We do see them in between as they only live a five minute walk away. But we like to have a good ol' chat and catch up, so we went to our favorite Italian restaurant. Unfortunately they were fully booked, so we got into the car and drove to Duende, where we had lunch the other day. They serve really good food. Hubby and I both had a slow-cooked pork shank (codillo in Spanish) and it was delicious!

Saturday I made Toad-In-The-Hole again as it is hubby's favorite, and it is a dish that doesn't upset his bowels. (Something we now have to consider).
In the evening we met for our English-Spanish conversation group Intercambio. We were given the use of a small teaching space in the center of the village. (The key of which was still in my purse when I flew to Holland, so I had to post it back!). I had brought some cake and drinks.

I didn't make a collage for Sunday as nothing really happened. We went to (Spanish) church in the morning, had dinner and watched an online church service later in the day (English), did our Bible study, wasted time with our tablets and went to bed. Nothing worth photographing.

On Monday we went to see our other friends as there are lots of flowering almond trees near their house and I wanted to  photograph some white blossom for the photo club's monthly photo competition. This month the theme is 'white'.
They have this sweet cat that has a broken tail. Poor thing. Its tail stands in a 90 degree angle (but it doesn't seem to bother her) so they call her Cocktail!

Hubby is still working in the derelict cave house (Now not so derelict anymore) and we had an omelet for lunch (our chickens are giving us so many eggs!).
My bestie Antonia has children all over the world, but this week her daughters from Germany, France and Italy had all come to visit with husbands and babies. And we all congregated at the house of the daughter who lives here. She has married a Dutchman and his parents were visiting. (We know the parents quite well by now) so we had a very happy reunion in the sun. 

On Wednesday I cooked a meat and potato pie. I did the meat bit in the Instant Pot and then I covered it with some puff pastry and stuck it in the oven. Very nice indeed.
In the afternoon I had a haircut. I have quite thin, floppy and difficult hair since my chemo, so I tend to keep it short.
Then this morning hubby woke up with a fever and abdo pain. I did not want a repeat of last year's peritonitis, so we got in the car and went to the hospital. They checked him over, did a scan, and eventually diagnosed a bladder infection.(Phew!) They gave him some IV antibiotics and at 2 pm he was sent on his way. I was not allowed into the hospital, so I waited outside and read my book in the sunshine. Then I drove to a nearby restaurant and had a (non-alcoholic) beer. I was halfway through my lunch when hubby called that he could go home. Hurray! He's already feeling better. We're both glad it is nothing serious.

That was my week. It was good. I hope yours has been good too. 
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the people of the Ukraine. 

I'm going to link up with Annie at A Stitch In Time to share my smiles.

Have a great weekend, 
Hugs,
Lisca
































9 comments:

  1. The card is lovely and I so hope that Maria and her family are OK. How terrifying for them. another busy week for you. I am glad Graham is OK and it wasn't too serious. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You fit so much into your week Lisca. I’m so glad all is well with Graham now he’s had his antibiotics. The funnies are really brilliant this week...I love all the puns.
    Hugs,
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stamps and the postcard are beautiful and I pray that something is sorted soon for these people who do not deserve this conflict. Pleased to hear that Graham is feeling okay but it was good that you caught it quickly as they are not a good thing to have if left for any length of time. Loving the funnies, people do put some strange information on products but love the dog funnies best as you might have guessed. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. 13, oh, how cute. Well fear she is pretty near to the war-madness.
    We have it on TV all the time now, too.
    Wee. Hubbies and hospitals, huh - glad it went well!

    The punography is funny, but the sock "ripped it off"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi again, popped back to answer your questions. First that's not our down pipe thank goodness, we pass the house when we're walking the dogs. Your explanation of the workmen is brilliant and probably true in this case too. I can't explain why but yes the Schnauzers do seem to recognise each other. There are several now that we meat in the park and both Maisie and Stan seem more interested in them than other dogs and it seems to work both ways. Stan is a very friendly dog anyway and if he really like a dog he meets he turns round and shows them his rear (yes you've got it his bum!) I have never had a dog that is so confident to do that, he really is a sweetie most of the time at least! Maisie is different and has to be officially introduced and must have a small gift to show any interest, usually a biscuit. Her father was an international champion from Sweden and we think she regards herself as a princess. Pleased you enjoyed the funnies too. Hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel for Maria who lives in Kyiv. I fear her life has been uprooted or is about to be.

    Glad Graham is doing well after that scare. You sure have a lot of friends who visit. Brave, too. I am still not ready to put myself out there yet. I'm still scared of the virus, even if people have been vaccinated.

    Cute jokes. Dog jokes were funny. Hope you have a great weekend.



    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you squeeze more into a week than anyone I know! Glad your husband will be okay

    ReplyDelete
  8. With all of the unrest in the world, Please stay safe. Hugs from USA

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do hope little Marie is safe in Kiyv. The news is so sad right night and scarey too. I pray they all see sense before it gets any further out of hand.
    I am glad Grahams problem was relatively minor. He is so good at getting on with things. I do admire his spirit and ready smile.
    Your meat and potatoe pie looks very tasty. I love pies of almost any sort. And how lovely to have a constant supply of fresh eggs. Chris would happily eat eggs every day but we have nowhere to keep chickens.
    You found some good funnies to keep us smiling this week. I do enjoy a list of good puns! Kate x

    ReplyDelete