Friday 4 February 2022

A Postcard A Day - Friday 4 February 2022 - Friday Smiles

 Hello lovely ladies, 

Here I am again. This time from a different location. I'm in the Netherlands as my mother had fallen and had ended up in hospital. Luckily she had broken nothing but she is bruised and shaky and has lost a bit of self confidence. 

My postcard for today comes from Germany:

It's quite a fun vintage photograph. Those bathing costumes are hilarius, but that was the fashion in those days. Sometimes I wish I could get away with a little skirt like that, as my 70 year old body is not a pretty sight. (It's not really a problem as we never go to the beach.)

The stamps are colourful. The one on the right is one of those new digital stamps with QR code. (Am I the only one that is fed up with QR codes?)


This blog post is going to be short as I am not at my own computer, but I do have my daily collages to show you. Here goes:
On Friday morning we had to leave the house at 5 am(!) to drive to the airport, which is a 3 hour drive, and we allowed a bit more for the morning rush hour. For some reason I couldn't check in online so it was good I was there in plenty of time. I said goodbye to hubby and I then had an unevenful 3 hour flight to Amsterdam. The train station is underneath the airport and I bought a ticket while waiting for my luggage. So it didn't take long before I got to Rotterdam. I went straight to the hospital, where my sister was waiting for me. I was able to see mum for a short while and then we went out for dinner. My cousin and his wife had driven all the way from Friesland to see us. (They couldn't see my mum as only one person per day allowed to visit).
My sister then left on Saturday afternoon. 
I think Sunday was mum's worse day. She hadn't slept for several nights (she is a bad sleeper), so I got her into bed and she promptly fell asleep in the late afternoon. I really thought she was going to deteriorate.
Monday morning I treated myself to some proper gin & tonic glasses. So I could have a big one when I came back from the hospital.
I didn't need one as mum had perked up and was much better (she had slept)
On Tuesday I saw my friend Ineke, who treated me to lunch at a local beauty spot. There was a storm raging so it was not so beautiful, but we had a table by the window overlooking the lake. And of course it was good to catch up with my friend of forty odd years.
Mum is feeling much better, so the staff talked about her going to a care hotel for rehabilitation. These places are quite sought after, so we are not expecting an immediate move.

Wednesday morning is market where mum lives. I can see all the stalls from the window and all the hussle and bussle. So I popped out myself. I always like the cheese stalls. All those lovely Dutch cheeses. 
My cousin came to have coffee and lunch with me.     I showed her my new jigsaw and we decided to start doing it. She is now totally hooked!
When I visited mum, the liaison lady came to tell her that they have found a room for her, which shocked mum and made her very nervous. Especially when told that she would have to move the next day!
As I have no car, our lovely cousin stepped in again. We had first booked a taxi, but when told that the ride would cost 62 Euros, mum said: I bet Margit would do it for half that money. We asked her and of course she offered to drive. So it was an early start for me to get everything sorted and be at the hospital at 9:45. But everything went well and we got there. The place is aptly called Intermezzo.
Mum's room is lovely, and she can't imagine why she was so nervous about it. 
All's well that ends well as they say.
Now I am back at mum appartment, typing this. 
I'm afraid I have no funnies for you today. But I have plenty to smile about as you can see in the above collages.
Have a wonderful weekend,
Stay safe and
Keep Smiling!
Hugs,
Lisca







7 comments:

  1. Ingo once had such a swim-suit and he even wore in public, LOL. Sadly that was when had real film and I have no pic.
    Sad, very sad. It was black / red.

    Argh, QR-codes. They make me feel old.

    Glad your Mum is better, and yay for friends and cheese.

    Great it turned out well with that room! That sure makes me smile, too! Hugs from here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly do have lots to smile about my friend. I’m so glad your mum is recovering well from her fall...she is an amazing lady.
    Hugs,
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your mum is on the mend. That looks like a lovely room they have found for her. I hope she settles there and continues to improve.
    I smiled at the swimsuits. As you say, that was the fashion then. How times have changed.
    You seem to be making the most of your time in Holland., meeting up with family members and old friends. I assume you are staying there until you are sure mum is well again, so enjoy your stay. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post, Lisca. I'm so glad your mum is recovering so well. I hope she'll continue to recuperate and be allowed home soon. I've been to Rotterdam, but only once many years ago, but I remember enjoying the visit and I enjoyed reading about your experiences there too. Oh, and I love the postcard photo - I'd benefit from a skirted swimsuit too. Have a good weekend. Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisca, sorry I'm let writing this. We walked the dogs then I did some work need in the pond, forgot what time it was in the cabin (that was supposed to take two minutes!) and before you know it the day is half over though I do have some nice finished Resin pieces. So here I am and loving the postcard and the stamps. Your mum is looking much better and what a nice place to be for her rehab. We had a panic phone call from the carers this afternoon relating to my mum and the doctor came out and doesn't think it's anything too serious so we'll have to wait and see. Wishing you a restful weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always a great post. I am glad your mom is better better. Having you there is what she needs. Sending healing energy and lots of love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh bless, biggest hugs to you all, I hope your Mum is improving each day but what a beautiful room to go to. You look like you have managed so well despite what was obviously a very worrying time for you and love that you managed to start the jigsaw.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete