Tuesday 4 January 2022

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 4 January 2022 - T for Tauric Chersonesos and 'New Beginnings'

 Good morning and happy New Year my friends! A new year has started and I hope that it will be a better year for all of us. This pandemic seems to be fizzling out slowly, so I hope we will have a relatively normal year (until the next pandemic. Gotto be realistic: I'm sure there will be another crazy virus).

With 2022 dawning, I thought I'd share another dawning:

It comes to me from the Ukraine and it shows the Tauric Chersonesos - an ancient Greek city-state in the south-western part of Crimea (within Sevastopol). It was founded in 422-421 BC. Added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2013.
The sender of the card, Iryna, lives in Kyev, the capital of Ukraine, and she tells me that the Crimea, where this site is, is now occupied by the Russians.


The UNESCO website writes this:
The site features the remains of a city founded by Dorian Greeks in the 5th century BC on the northern shores of the Black Sea. 

The site is within Sevastopol (South-west Crimea)


It encompasses six component sites with urban remains and agricultural lands divided into several hundreds of chora, rectangular plots of equal size. The plots supported vineyards whose production was exported by the city which thrived until the 15th century. 

The site features several public building complexes and residential neighbourhoods, as well as early Christian monuments alongside remains from Stone and Bronze Age settlements; 


Roman and medieval tower fortifications and water supply systems; and exceptionally well-preserved examples of vineyard planting and dividing walls. In the 3rd century AD, the site was known as the most productive wine centre of the Black Sea and remained a hub of exchange between the Greek, Roman and Byzantine Empires and populations north of the Black Sea. It is an outstanding example of democratic land organization linked to an ancient polis, reflecting the city’s social organization.

Life in the K household has been very quiet. In between Christmas and New Year I managed to get a hair appointment:
The day before i had an appointment in the morning, but I completely forgot about that and felt very stupid and I have to keep telling me that I'm 70 and I'm bound to forget things from time to time. Anyway, I felt very bad about that! Luckily my hairdresser was able to fit me in the day after.
On the way back from the hairdresser, it had got dark and I could (for the first time) see the illuminations in the village as I walked through the little park.

The weather has been absolutely glorious these days
22 Degrees C is about 71F, which is warm for December! 
We eat many meals out on one of the terraces. Here I am having a coffee:


Of course it is wonderful for drying washing. (No we don't use tumble dryers in this country):
There through the 'door' you can see the table where we have meals or coffee in the winter sun.


But the evenings are cold and I have made this mulled wine. (I cheated and bought some sachets), but it was very nice.

As today we are joining the other ladies at the T-Party which is hosted by Elizabeth and Bleubeard, I am showing you a drink:
It's cider. In Europe cider is alcoholic. You might be able to see on the can that it is 5 %. I love this English cider. When we go to the coast and shop at an English shop, I always take a six-pack of cider home. I love it.

For New Year's Eve I made my traditional potato salad with beetroot. It's called a Russian salad or in Dutch 'huzarenslaatje'.

The bottle is an old wine bottle and I have put some lights in it to make it look festive. It was just the two of us for new Year's Eve. 
Here we are singing Auld Lang Syne to ring out the year. And then we went to bed. 


Happy 2022 everyone and happy T-Day!
Stay safe,
Hugs,
Lisca












16 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Lisca, I always enjoy the history you share with us. we had a very warm December too-I miss not being able to hang up my laundry=I enjoyed doing that for many years at our woods house-many times deer would be running around when I was working at the line.
Your wine sounds delicious-I will make mulled wine again soon, it's nice. Happy T wishes Kathy

Kate Yetter said...

I loved seeing all the things that you did over the New Year, especially that picture of your hubby playing and singing in his bathrobe. Looks like he is having a grand time! I can never stay awake long enough to ring in the New Year. I tried this year but only made it too 11pm.
Looks like lot of yummy food and drink. the cider sounds yummy.

We have such bitter temperatures in the winter, sometimes below 0, that we always use a tumble dryer. Not to mention my hubby has allergies and would be miserable if I attempted to air dry my laundry. But is sure would save money and electricity if I could air dry.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Carola Bartz said...

Your house looks lovely and I like that you can line dry your laundry. I do that, too - I grew up with it and using a dryer like here in the States was quite foreign to me. Now I do it in winter because it doesn't make any sense to hang the wash when it's raining... I'm feeling for the people in Ukraine who have to live with the fear that Russia will invade their country and I'm worried about this situation.

My name is Erika. said...

Happy new year Lisca. I love your postcard this week. It looks like an interesting archaeological site. And even though it may not have been exciting it looks like you had a nice New years holiday. Your husband must be feeling better. He looks great in the photo while he is playing the music so you can sing in the new year. And how nice to have such beautiful weather. It's really cold here tonight (-13) so I am a little jealous you can still eat outside. Will it stay that warm all winter? Have a fantastic T day and week ahead and happy a bit belated New Year. Hugs-Erika

Linda Kunsman said...

Great postcards! I love that you dry things outside. I do miss the European way of life in general...
Would love that warm air as right now is the coldest it's been so far this winter!
Hubby looks great and what a wonderful way to ring in the new year! Happy New Year and happy T day!

Mae Travels said...

Your weather does look enviable! It will be months before we can eat outdoors.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Iris Flavia said...

Dr. Vitali Klitschko just came to Germany asking for help.
The Ukraine sure is present here now.
"The Russians" sure claim a lot.
My Mother´s old hometownn is now Russian, too, even the name has changed.

Hahaha. 70 is no excuse, I forgot things in my 20s already ;-)
We are people.

Wonderful night-pics. My plan for this night. Need to go to LIDL and maybe take the route backk through town :-)

22C????!!! Enjoy!
Oh. Mulled wine - still none here.

LOVE your salad! Have beetroot and eggs in the freezer, hmmm, tempting!

Happy last pic, to a Great New Year and a Happy T-Day. Hugs :-)

nwilliams6 said...

Very interesting pictures and history on that city. Time marches on and so much changes.

Love the pictures of your wash and how fun you don't tumble dry your clothes. It has been warm here too until yesterday - we dropped 30 degrees in one day!

Love your hair cut. It is is easy to forget things at any age - too much going on in life and the world.

Great looking drinks and food as always - you always have something very interesting to eat, Lisca.

Happy T-day and Happy New Year. Hugz

Valerie-Jael said...

That ANCIENT CITY IS VERY INTERESTNG; THAT'A SOMETHING i WOULD ENJOY VIEWING: (Sorry caps) My fingers are very bad so I often miss the right key! Your food and drinks look great today, mulled wine is good, cider, too. I always dry clothes on the balcony. Happy T da, and have a good and safe 2022, hugs, Valerie

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog. Happy new year 🎉

Rajani Rehana said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Divers and Sundry said...

Your weather makes it pleasant to eat outside. What a treat for the wintertime :) Those seasonal lights are magical. So nice you got to see them at night.

Happy T Tuesday!

Empire of the Cat said...

22C !!! I am definitely living in the wrong place lol, we have -2C today. I love all the lights in the park, they are beautiful, and that part of the Ukraine looks very interesting to visit. Your hair looks great, I chopped most of mine off the other day and I am wearing a hat now haha Warm Winter Wishes and Happy New Year T Day Elle/EOTC xx

CJ Kennedy said...

I always enjoy your postcard history lessons. I could go through Winter with those temperatures instead of whining about how cold it is. Your beet salad looks delicious and festive. The Christmas lights in the village are so pretty, too. Best wishes for 2022. Happy T Day

Darla said...

The postcard and the information you provided is very interesting. I enjoyed the map as well. Sometimes I'm not real clear about geography. We do use a clothes dryer but I also have an outside line. I especially like bed sheets that have been dried in the sun. Happy New Year!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I like the postcard you shared and a bit of geography and history lesson rolled in one. Quite worried about Ukraine, though.

Nice haircut and I loved the fish and fries with peas. Now I'm hungry. You can keep your beets, though. Not a fan. Happy belated T Day and nice to see Graham doing so well.