Friday 31 December 2021

A Postcard A Day - Friday 31 December 2021 - Friday Smiles, the last smiles of the year

 

Hello lovely ladies! How was your Christmas? I hope it was a happy one. For some people Christmas is an ordeal, or it brings back sad memories, or you have to put up with certain relatives you don't like etc.  Ours was quiet. More about that later. Here is my postcard for today. As tomorrow is New Year's Eve, I thought these two partying and dancing the night away would be appropriate.

The postcard comes to me from New Jersey, USA:

The photographer is Kurt Hutton. The title: Jazz on Tyneside - Club Martinique plays Dixieland and jazz in the new Orleans manner. 9th April 1955

Wikipedia says:

Kurt Hutton (born Kurt Hübschmann; 1893 in Strasbourg– 1960) was a German-born photographer who pioneered photojournalism in England.


Beginning his career with the Dephot agency in Germany, he migrated to England in 1934 and worked for Weekly Illustrated.



He then became one of the founding staff of the groundbreaking pictorial weekly news magazine Picture Post.







You can tell, I really like this photographer...

The stamps are very pretty. There are two Christmas stamps with an image by Peruvian artist Cuzco. It shows Our Lady of Guápulo, 18th century.

This is the entire picture:

The other stamp is one from the Otters in the snow series:

So what has been happening with us? Here are my daily collages:

On Christmas Eve, my husband, who fell ill with Covid some days before, was able to get up for half an hour and he even ate something: a poached egg.
On Christmas morning he was free of fever and I had him open a present. It wasn't really a present, but there were a few things we had bought just before Christmas, but these things had remained in their boxes. So I wrapped everything and put them under the tree. (To make it look a bit Christmassy). 
I made him open this 'present' as it was a new electric razor. He took the hint and had a shave.
Then came out of bed again for a bit for dinner. I had cooked a turkey breast and he had a few bites. 

On Sunday hubby was feeling a lot better, just tired. 
My mum, who lives in Holland, had been alone for Christmas, but my cousin and his family, who live in Friesland, went to visit mum on Boxing Day. That was really nice of them.

On Tuesday hubby went and did some work, a sure sign that he is better, although he took it very easy. A friend, who didn't know hubby had been ill, visited. We were supposed to self isolate until Saturday. Oh well, she saw him from a distance.

Our best friend David celebrated his 60th birthday. I made some stuffed dates (with goats cheese and pecans dipped in maple syrup)
I had a hairdresser appointment at 11 in the morning, but we usually get up late and when I do get up, my brain isn't awake yet, so I was having breakfast at 11 when she phoned. Oops! I had forgotten. Got another appointment for Thursday.

I had my haircut in the evening. When I walked back home, I took some photographs of the illuminations in our village.

That was my week. All in all a very positive week with many smiles. I'm going to link up with Annie at A Stitch In Time (If she is posting) to share my smiles.
As usual I have posted some funnies at the end. Sorry, but most of them are Christmas jokes although Christmas is been and gone.

Lets hope that 2022 will be a better year for mankind. So dear friends, hubby and I wish you all a:

Stay safe, 
Hugs,
Lisca













Playing strip poker:



5 comments:

LA Paylor said...

so glad dh is better. we did that too, things we wanted or needed were ordered, then wrapped and opened as if they were surprises

Mae Travels said...

Have a good New Year’s Eve, and I hope your husband continues his recovery. Happy New Year and better 2022.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

DVArtist said...

Another wonderful post. I am glad Graham is feeling better. Wishing you and Graham all the best for 2022.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry I'm so late visiting. I'm having a bit of a meltdown with blogger.

How nice to see Graham is better. He certainly looks better. I thought you had to isolate and couldn't see anyone, so I was surprised when you kept your hair appointment. It looks good, though.

So nice your mom had visitors on Boxing Day. I am sure that made up for being alone at Christmas.

That's a really nice postcard and the photographer is amazing. I think you have mentioned him before.

Here's to a fabulous 2022. Let's hope it's better than the past two have been, although you don't seem to have been as affected by this as I have.

Celtic house said...

Poor Graham im so glad he is on the mend and hope you managed to stay covid free. The lights in your village look lovely too and I loved all the funnies. Have a lovely Sunday and week ahead.

Hugs