Friday 10 December 2021

A Postcard A Day - Friday 14 December 2021 - Friday Smiles

 


Hello lovely ladies, This week has flown by and I find myself on Friday again. Today I want to share this postcard with you. It's a lady drifting in the Dead Sea. 

The Dead Sea is so salty that one cannot sink!

 Dead Sea is a salt lake bordered by Jordan to the east and Israel and the West Bank to the west. It lies in the Jordan Rift Valley, and its main tributary is the Jordan River.

The lake's surface is 430.5 metres (1,412 ft) below sea level, making its shores the lowest land-based elevation on Earth. It is 304 m (997 ft) deep, the deepest hypersaline lake in the world. With a salinity of 342 g/kg, or 34.2% (in2011), it is one of the world's saltiest bodies of water – 9.6 times as salty as the ocean – and has a density of 1.24 kg/litre, which makes swimming similar to floating. This salinity makes for a harsh environment in which plants and animals cannot flourish, hence its name. The Dead Sea's main, northern basin is 50 kilometres (31 mi) long and 15 kilometres (9 mi) wide at its widest point.[1]

The Dead Sea has attracted visitors from around the Mediterranean Basin for thousands of years. It was one of the world's first health resorts (for Herod the Great), and it has been the supplier of a wide variety of products, from asphalt for Egyptian mummification to potash for fertilisers. Today, tourists visit the sea on its Israeli, Jordanian and West Bank coastlines. The Palestinian tourism industry has been met with setbacks in developing along the West Bank coast.

The Dead Sea is receding at a swift rate; its surface area today is 605 km2 (234 sq mi), having been 1,050 km2 (410 sq mi) in 1930. The recession of the Dead Sea has begun causing problems, and multiple canal and pipeline proposals have been made to reduce its recession. One of these proposals is the Red Sea–Dead Sea Water Conveyance pipeline project, which would provide water to neighbouring countries and carry brine to the Dead Sea to help stabilise its water level.


The stamp is cute with the young goats. It is one of those new digital stamps.
The sender, Martina, has also stuck a lovely washi tape on the bottom in the shape of letters and postcards. 


Very nice.

Now what has been happening in the K household?

Friday we went to see the surgeon, hoping to get a date for the operation. But the surgeon wasn't convinced this new growth was malignant and ordered a PET scan. So it's good news in a way. But not what we expected. And he is still in pain.
I made real Dutch pea soup.

On Saturday I sorted out my wardrobe as it needed 'culling'. I gave these three items to a friend and the rest I put in a bag for the church charity rack. Then I made 'speculaas', a Dutch biscuit because in the evening we would go and celebrate Sinterklaas with my friend's daughter, who married a Dutchman and their daughter is 4 yrs old, so a beautiful age to still believe in Sinterklaas.

On Sunday morning we went to church and because we were late coming home, I cooked rice in the Remoska, an quick and easy dish. In the afternoon I did some baking and in the evening there was the closure of the photo exhibition. We who are in the committee had a meeting about next year's program.
Monday was a national holiday in Spain (Constitution Day) and I went to help take the photos down and pack everything up.



On Tuesday we went to our favorite restaurant and had lunch. The reason was that we wanted to go to our 'weekend' house to see if we could find my Christmas decorations. I can't find them anywhere. As we always go to Holland for Christmas, the tree plus decorations haven't been used for many years. We didn't find them (and still haven't)

On Wednesday I asked hubby to light the wood burner in the craft room as I wanted to tidy up the stuff I had been using to make Christmas cards. Eventually I did no such thing! I spent the whole morning crafting. I made more cards and enjoyed using tings I hadn't used for a while. I also noticed that all my ink pads had dried out, so that evening I ordered some new ones. 


The weather was awful. It was very stormy (with amber warnings) so I didn't go out at all. There was no need as we had another national holiday. This time it was something called Immaculate Maria, a religious festival.

I sent a Christmas card in the shape of a bauble. It had three parts. One had to stick the parts together to get a bauble which then could be hung in the tree.
Well the first one has arrived and is now hanging in our son's tree in Windsor, England.
I had a kilo of pork sitting in the fridge, and we decided we'd cook it in the BBQ to make pulled pork. I seasoned the meat, and dug up my thermometer and we cooked it in two and a half hours.
I have also found a wreath in a box in the garage. But on our large door it looks rather puny, so I might have to see if I can find a bigger one, or splash out on a florist who will make me one.

That was my week. I'm going to visit Annie at A Stitch In Time with her Friday Smiles.
As per usual, I'll have a few funnies at the end. (And some to think about).

Have a lovely weekend,
Stay safe,
Hugs,
Lisca


























9 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Great postcard and stamp!

Cauliflower cheese.
Sorry about your Hubby´s pain.

Love your Christmas card.

We indeed have those stations where you can refill your own bottles.
Poor Rudolph ;-)
The i-roll!!!

I haven´t seen a person without a mask in stores in ages! People here got it.

No joke, that plane thing happened to me in the other direction. I had marmalade in my hand luggage and it needed to go with my case. Weird times.+

Happy Friday :-)

Annie said...

That does sound good news for Graham but hopefully they will do something for him to stop the pain soon. We’ve both had a good chuckle at your funnies this morning so thanks for sharing them.
Hugs,
Annie x

mamapez5 said...

The news for Graham does sound a little better, but I hope he gets the test and confirmation soon,and some better pain relief.
We have just done a 'small shop' in Lidls to tide us over until I do one last 'big shop' next week. Iyt was quiet there, everyone had a mask on, and I was pleased to see that when I had unpacked/unwrapped everything to put it away, I only had a small pile of cardboard and paper to recycle in place of the mountain of plastic I used to get.
We came home to a dozen Christmas cards in the mail box so that was nice.
What a shame that your decorations have gone into hiding. The wreath does look a bit sad, but you could easily make one with cardboard cut outs and some artificial greenery from a todo shop. Mine is built on an old pool noodle, bent into a circle and superglued plus duck taped together.
Your decoration card is a very nice design.
I am glad the storms have passed without causing too much damage around here, though they were quite scarey if you had to go out. Today it is rather grey and colder, but the forecast is for sun again next week.
Most of your 'extras' made me smile again today. Kate x

DVArtist said...

Another busy week for you and Graham. Plus the good news about his health. Pork is so expensive now in the US that I can't buy it. Haaa beef too so enjoy the pulled pork. Have a great day today.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Interesting info about the Dead Sea and loving the postage stamps. Your Cauliflower cheese dish looks different from how we normally cook it but scrummy! Interestingly I've been having a clear out in my wardrobes too but I find it hard to let things go. I suspect you will find the Christmas decs. when you're looking for something else and then mislay them again....or is that just me! The Christmas card looks lovely and I bet the pulled pork was gorgeous. You Christmas funny is a Cracker, love it though I guess I shouldn't find it funny really but I did! But then they all made me smile! Happy weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm glad Graham doesn't need the surgery yet, but I hoope they find out soon what is causing all that pain.

That's a lovely postcard and stamp. I've never seen a digital stamp before. Just the digital postage that comes from printing your own (like from amazon).

You sure like to tempt people with food, but nothing sounds good today. Your funnies are wonderful, especially the one where Christmas is canceled. We don't have those same rules in the states, but I am sort of familiar with most of them. Sorry I'm late visiting. Back problems are a pain in the BACK!

Elizabeth said...

Hi Lisca, I was going to join in today but the post I typed up disappeared between my mobile and PC. The postcard from the Dead Sea is so interesting and reminds reminds me of the stories my late dad used to tell us about floating there. He said you could read a book while you floated. I've always thought he exaggerated. Your bauble card is beautiful. Have a great weekend. Elizabeth x

Celtic house said...

Fingers and toes crossed for the scan and hopefully some pain relief. Your crafting time sounds fab, I cleared my desk this week then promptly made a mess again which I need to sort today.

The speculaas looks lovely, and cooking the meat like you did sounds fab. We've had some stormy weather recently which deflates you not want to go outside

I hope you have a fantastic weekend

Xxx

LA Paylor said...

Hi Lisca... what a life you lead!!! so full.
I LOVE your funnies at the end, I'm the same way, passive til startled LOL
I took your mask meme and am putting it on my blog too, LOVE it and what a message that is needed... if that's okay with you. I hope to share it Monday so let me know if there's a problem?
LeeAnna