Tuesday 2 November 2021

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 2 November - T for Tea party, Grand duchess and second on the 2nd.

 Hello lovely girls,

It's November! This year has flown by. 

Today i have a painting of a tea party, very appropriate for today. And some lovely stamps as well as a samovar sticker. Then today is the second of the month so I'm going to combine the two today.

Here is my postcard that comes from Russia.

It is a painting by the Grand Duchess Romanova (Olga Alexandrovna). It is entitled The Tea Party. So of course I had to feature this one so that I can join Elizabeth and Bluebeard's T-Party with a beverage.

Wikipedia writes:

Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna of Russia ( 13 June 1882 – 24 November 1960) was the youngest child of Emperor Alexander III of Russia and younger sister of Emperor Nicholas II.



She was raised at the Gatchina Palace outside Saint Petersburg. Olga's relationship with her mother, Empress Marie, the daughter of King Christian IX of Denmark, was strained and distant from childhood. In contrast, she and her father were close. He died when she was 12, and her brother Nicholas became emperor.

She had a very varied life having lived through two world wars and having lived in different countries after she fled Russia.

In 1901, at 19, she married Duke Peter Alexandrovich of Oldenburg, who was privately believed by family and friends to be homosexual. 


Their marriage of 15 years remained unconsummated, and Peter at first refused Olga's request for a divorce. The couple led separate lives and their marriage was eventually annulled by the Emperor in October 1916. The following month Olga married cavalry officer Nikolai Kulikovsky, with whom she had fallen in love several years before. 


During the First World War, the Grand Duchess served as an army nurse and was awarded a medal for personal gallantry.


 At the downfall of the Romanovs in the Russian Revolution of 1917, she fled with her husband and children to Crimea, where they lived under the threat of assassination. Her brother Nicholas and his family were shot by revolutionaries.


Olga escaped revolutionary Russia with her second husband and their two sons in February 1920. 



They joined her mother, the Dowager Empress, in Denmark. In exile, Olga acted as companion and secretary to her mother and was often sought out by Romanov impostors who claimed to be her dead relatives. She met Anna Anderson, the best-known impostor, in Berlin in 1925. After the Dowager Empress's death in 1928, Olga and her husband purchased a dairy farm in Ballerup, near Copenhagen.



 She led a simple life: raising her two sons, working on the farm and painting. During her lifetime, she painted over 2,000 works of art, which provided extra income for both her family and the charitable causes she supported.



In 1948, feeling threatened by Joseph Stalin's regime, Olga and her immediate family relocated to a farm in Campbellville, Ontario, Canada. 



With advancing age, Olga and her husband moved to a bungalow near Cooksville, Ontario



Colonel Kulikovsky died there in 1958. Two years later, as her health deteriorated, Olga moved with friends to a small apartment in East Toronto. She died aged 78, seven months after her older sister, Xenia. At the end of her life and afterwards, Olga was widely labelled the last Grand Duchess of Imperial Russia.

Read more about her here.

The stamps are lovely. Here is another one from the iris series I featured last week.
And then there was this cute sticker on the card too. It is a samovar, that is a metal container traditionally used to heat and boil water.


Well, what have I been doing this week. It has been a very non-descript week really.

People tell me that my blogs make them hungry as I always feature so much food. I'm not going to this week. Let's talk about the weather!

It has been very warm and sunny up until a few days ago. We have been eating out on the terrace almost every day (Oops, food again!):
Even my fuchsia thought spring was coming and started to flower:
In our village they are trimming the palm trees (Elizabeth might like to see this):
But the evenings are getting cooler and a few days ago hubby lit the stove for the first time this season:


 
This is a stove that works on almond shells (but also olive pips or pellets). I have another stove in my craft room (We don't have central heating). So when I went to make a card for my grandson's birthday, I lit the fire:
This is a lovely 'parlour' stove. I bought it second hand several years ago and it is a wood burner (No almond shells and the like, only wood).
The weather turned nasty  and I just managed to dry my washing before the storm (no rain unfortunately. We really do need rain).
On Saturday we drove through the village and saw this:
Black clouds with a bit of sun poking from underneath.
Five minutes later we saw that sunny bit had a rainbow:




Then yesterday it started to rain (at last)
 
It's the sort of weather to go and bake a cake:
It is called a Bara Brith. Here is the recipe:
That is it from me this week.
I am aware that it is also the second of the month, in which we share an old blogpost. As this one is already very long, I am only sharing a small part of a blog from November 2015:

Here is a photo of our little Precious. She has turned out to be a 'he', but we still call him Precious. 
 And finally, this is my 'funny' for this week. It's a bit disgusting really, but it did make me smile at the same time....
 As I said before, my husband and I will be celebrating our 23rd wedding anniversary this Sunday and we will probably go out for lunch somewhere. It doesn't matter really what we do. As long as we're together.
We married each other later in life, but these have been the happiest years of my life. (My husband will be 69 next week).
This says it all....


You can see the whole blog post here.
Well, my dear friends, I hope you have a very happy T-Day and I'm sending virtual hugs to all of you!
Hugs,
Lisca



















16 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Lisca, I loved the painting on the postcard, and I really enjoyed reading the history of the artist. beautiful stamps too.
Pretty rainbow, nice that it is still warm there, and I do miss not having a working woodstove. Larry found online the part we need to adapt a chimney pipe to this stove-but we need to find help for the work-will probably need to wait til next year.
Your cake looks moist and delicious-Happy T hugs Kathy

Mae Travels said...

That's an amusing biography of the Russian duchess. Imagining her on an Ontario farm, in a typical North American farmhouse, is funny.

In the painting from your postcard, I noticed that the porcelain cup and teapot have a very similar pattern to that in Valerie-Jael's T-Day post today. Funny coincidence.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Kate Yetter said...

Very interesting story! She was a fabulous painter. So wonderful that she was able to escape with her family before the revolution. I will have to look up more of her paintings.
Your cake looks delicious!
Love the funny of the knitting bowl.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Carola Bartz said...

So sweet what your husband said!
Interesting information about Olga Alexandrovna. I like her painting, and the stamps are very pretty, too. I'm glad you got some rain at last. We did, too, actually quite torrential rain, but unfortunately it didn't put a dent in our terrible drought. Happy T day!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

If I hadn't read Mae's comment, I would also have mentioned how similar the china is on the postcard to Valerie's pieces. It's truly lovely in more ways than one, and a great entry for T, also.

Olga Alexandrovna seemed like a person I would have loved to have met. Her life must have been filled with many ups and downs. It is great she and her family got out of Russia when she did. Those are some great stamps, too.

Looks like it has cooled in your part of the world. I didn't even look at your food because I am already hungry. Glad you got a bit of rain, though. Thanks for sharing your postcard, your cake, and your week with your heat coming on (loved to see both those heaters) with us for T this Tuesday.

I'm not sure how I missed that second look, Lisca. I must not have joined Friday Smiles back then. I remember Precious, though. And I love how you shared your wedding anniversary with us as your second look on the 2nd, too, dear.

Iris Flavia said...

The Duchess sure was a beauty, a talented one.
Thank you, that was a very interesting read about her!

LOL, and I woke hungry!
Your oven looks beautiful.
Dramatic skies. And a rainbow.

Cute... a real man can take the name Precious!

Love "wool-holder"!

Wishing you a great Sunday and love this "card".

Have a happy T-day, hugs

nwilliams6 said...

Happy Anniversary, Lisca. Beautiful words. I married my husband later in life as well and they have been very happy years.

Lovely story of the woman behind the post card. She was talented and I am glad she escaped. Such a tradegy that family all went through. I am glad she was able to find happiness and art.

All your food looks fabulous as always.

Happy T-day!

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Lisca, love the pictures and story of the Duchess Olga, she was a strong and determined woman. And how fun that she has the onion pattern crockery, it's classed as very old fashioned here now, but who cares? I love it and use it everyday! I know that cake and it is very delicious, I had a Scottish neighbour for a time and she often baked it and brought me a piece, yummy! Glad you have got some rain, here it's cold and grey, but we did see a bit of sun for the sunrise. happy Anniversary! And happy T Day! Take care, hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

I thought your postcard story about the czar's sister and another czar's aunt was fascinating. Image being locked into that type of marriage for so long, but luckily she was able to have her life. And what an adventurous life it seemed to be. I just read Valerie's comment and I must say I am with her as I love that pattern. And funny about your baking. I am making a sourdough Bara Brith today. Last night I soaked the dried fruit and enhanced my sourdough. Mine will be baked in a bread style pan so you can slice it for toast. I I've never tried it before, so I wonder why this cookbook has turned it into a bread? Anyhow, it still looks good, as does yours. And don't you just love how a nice fire in a woodstove makes you feel? Happy T day Lisca, happy November 2. Have a great week and start to the new month also. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

What a fascinating life story!

Happy Anniversary. and Happy T Tuesday!

Empire of the Cat said...

It's a very interesting period to read about, how funny that she ended up in Canada, that must have been so different for her. Loved the photo of Precious, I used to have a cat that looked very similar, they are beautiful, such lovely markings. Happy T Day Elle/EOTC xx

Linda Kunsman said...

what a beautiful postcard painting. Loved reading about Olga - so many moves in her lifetime! I would love having two stoves like you use.
Happy anniversary to you, and here's to wishing you a most wonderful day of celebration! Happy T day!

DVArtist said...

This is very interesting history today. I love Olga's face. Very distinctive looks. It's so pretty where you live, sunny or black clouds. I love the ending of your post today.

pearshapedcrafting said...

What an interesting part of history-Olga's life story is very interesting. Those sky photos are brilliant-we've had plenty of dark skies here lately...and rain. A lovely 2nd post too. Have a good week, Chrisx

Sharon Madson said...

What a wonderful post! I hope I can remember all I want to say. The fuchsia is beautiful. The cake looked good. Loved your 2nd on the 2nd. Sweet about you and your husband. Love! :) Love all the information on Olga, and love her painting. I will have to look for more. Thank you for all the info. Happy T Day!

CJ Kennedy said...

I enjoyed the history of Olga's life. She must have been a remarkable woman. Cooler days and cake are a perfect combo. Aw, Precious is so cute and your yarn bowl made me laugh. Happy T Day