Friday 5 November 2021

A Postcard A Day - Friday 5 November 2021 - Friday Smiles

 Hello lovely ladies,

Here we are again to share our smiles and silver linings.

My first smile is for my postcard, which I received this summer all the way from Australia. It features Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth:

Queen Elizabeth speaks with jockeys Ron Quinton and Hilton Cope before the Queen Elizabeth Stakes at Randwick, 1 April 1970.
Here is a poster of a recent event:


It's a special card in that it is a First Day Of Issue card. It has the stamp actually on the front. 

It was sent to me by Rene, who lives in Bribie Island, an island off the coast of Queensland featuring a national park & white-sand beaches. 


He says they retired there 6 years ago. It is a small island, 34 km long and 8 km wide. It is within easy reach of Brisbane.
It looks like a nice place to retire.
But we have retired to southern Spain, and we like it here, although we are not near a beach. Let me tell you about my week. It was nothing special, but better non-descript than dramatic and eventful.

On Thursday I made a card for my grandson in Italy. He will be 7 on Saturday. The weather was still quite nice. Nice enough to eat on the terrace in the sun.

On Friday I go to the gym and near the gym there is a heart shaped container where people can deposit their bottle tops. It gets emptied regularly and apparently the bottle tops raise money for charity. I emptied my bag of tops that morning.

After the gym I went to the post office to collect my new calendar (2022) by Denthe. I used to follow her blog and i don't know if she still writes a blog, but I do like her calendars. I'm on her mailing list as I have one every year.

On Saturday the weather turned. I managed to dry my washing as it didn't rain, but the wind was very strong.
I made some bread on Sunday with dough I had let prove overnight. I also made some soft rolls of normal bread dough.

Then finally on Monday we had some rain! We've been given a rain meter and at the end of the day it read 6 liters/sq meter. 
It was a Bank Holiday in Spain (All Saints), so the gym was closed, as were the shops. So I baked a cake (Bara Brith). I used my Remoska , hence the round shape.

In the early evening our Dutch friend walked by with his daughter who is 4 I think. She comes for a little chat in Dutch as her dad doesn't want her to lose the ability to speak Dutch. Daddy speaks Dutch to her and mummy speaks Spanish. But mummy and daddy speak English to each other! So she can also communicate with my husband who doesn't speak much Spanish. Bless her.

On Tuesday we went to eat in our favorite restaurant and on the way we went to buy almond shells for the stove. We had brought a trailer. Look how small the trailer is beside that mountain of shells!

Wednesday is the day that our friends come and spend the afternoon with us. They came at 12, we had coffee with a treat.(My friend had made them and needless to say they were delicious) then we practice some Spanish. I then cooked the chicken and broccoli stir fry while the men did some tech stuff on the computer. After dinner we had some general lessons on how to do certain things on our new Macbook. (Our friend is a wizz-kid on a Mac)
I'm writing this on Thursday so I don't have a collage for Thursday yet, but we went to the builder's merchant near out house to get some things:
And I cooked meatballs with tomato sauce. I cooked the meatballs in the oven and made the sauce while they were cooking. Very nice it was too.


That is all from me today. I'll see if I can find some funnies or 'thinkies' (as Valerie calls them).
Have a great weekend,
Stay safe,
Hugs,
Lisca


















7 comments:

  1. Love that charity heart!
    Good idea with the languages. And a cutie she is, nice pics.

    Yep, the plug thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like it’s been another eventful week for you. I love seeing your collages. Your ‘thinkies’ are brilliant....thanks for sharing them.
    Hugs,
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely postcard you've received this week and the stamp too. Looks like you've found plenty to do this week. We used to collect bottle tops when I was still teaching apparently they are good for recycling so can raise quite a lot for charities. I'm well impressed with all the baking you do it looks lovely. Loving the funnies too. Sending hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice long post. Lot's of lovely things going on but the one that stands out is that you still listen to music on vinyl. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see the heart for bottle tops. I save mine too. Apparently they are made from a different material from the bottles so need to be recycled separately. Hence we are helping them with sorting and although they pay a pittance per ton of tops, every little helps and it soon adds up.
    Your bread looks delicious. it is time I made some more too.
    We haven't quite resorted to lighting the fire yet, but it is certainly getting quite chilly at night.
    I hope next week keeps you on an even keel again. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your postcard is wonderful. I am in awe of it and like how it was a first day stamp, too. He sure paid a lot extra for that postcard.

    Why do you always have to show so much food, Lisca? I leave your blog starving and there is nothing in my house that is as delicious looking as what you prepare.

    Some of your funnies/thinkies were quite clever. I especially like the one about the gift giving. It was the best and IS the best gift you can ever give, too. Have a super weekend, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of positives and gratefuls I must admit I was late writing mine and assumed it would be a little devoid of anything as I've had a reltively quiet week, but I always managed to find some positives. You look like you've had a good week, we had a wood order delivered for our woodburner so I had to smile at the shells and those sweet treats your friend made look fantastic. I hope you have a lovely weekend and week ahead.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete