Tuesday 29 January 2019

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 29 January 2019 - T for almonds, far east and lush



Good morning! Here is a cup of coffee for you and... a piece of cake! How are you all?
I've had a good week. The weather has been sunny and that always perks me up. Also my mailbox has been happy, i.e. I have received some cards.
Here is the first one , which came from Indonesia. It has Chinese characters on it and I have no idea what it says. I tried Google translate (with the camera) but to no avail. 
The stamp is very interesting. It celebrates the 2018 annual meeting of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank group. That was held in October 2018 in Nusa Dua on Bali.  They discuss a range of issues related to poverty reduction, international economic development and finance.
I've not been able to find out whsat the statue is.

The second card comes from Taiwan, from someone who calls herself Grace (I find a lot of Taiwanese have English sounding names). The picture on the card is called 'Applying make-up' 1936 by Chen Chin, 1907-1998. Gouache on silk 212 x 185 cm.
Grace writes that she has just finished a book called The Guest Cat by Japanese writer Takashi Hiraide, and liked it very much. Has anyone read it? (I haven't but it sounds nice). The 'blurb' goes like this:

 A couple in their thirties live in a small rented cottage in a quiet part of Tokyo; they work at home, freelance copy-editing; they no longer have very much to say to one another. But one day a cat invites itself into their small kitchen. It leaves, but the next day comes again, and then again and again. Soon they are buying treats for the cat and enjoying talks about the animal and all its little ways. Life suddenly seems to have more promise for the husband and wife — the days have more light and color. The novel brims with new small joys and many moments of staggering poetic beauty, but then something happens….

At this point our cat has opened his eyes and wants to say hello to you all:
I'm getting distracted... Oh yes, the stamp! That is beautiful. I can see two pigs in this design and no doubt it is all about the Chinese year of the pig.
This week (as every week ) we went to our little bolt hole in the country side. Some of you have seen photos of it but then again, some have not. This is an image of our rank seen from the other side of the (dry) riverbed. Our house is the one on the left. If you enlarge it you might see that the houses are built into the embankment.
 
Here is a better view. We have built a large terrace on the top. (the view from there is spectacular)
The houses to the right of us are uninhabited except the furthest one. An elderly chap lives there with his son and daughter in law. The council have placed a street light for his benefit (solar powered) as he is partially sighted.
Here is my hubby sorting out some wood and loading it in the trailer to take home. The door in the embankment on the left is our storage. It is someone else's property but they let us use it.
This is the view. It is very difficult to see, but the little bit of white in the distance (in the middle) is the snow on the Sierra Nevada mountains (where the ski resort is). With the naked eye it is easier to see.
The stove we have here is a dual fuel burner. One side uses wood and the other side almond shells. At the moment we are using the almond shells. 
I scoop shells in the hopper,
and off it goes. Of course I have to top it up regularly.
Saturday we had friends from church over for a meeting and I did a little buffet. Great, then I will have some beverages for Elizabeth's T-Party at Altered Book Lover. This is sliced roast pork and I managed to find chimichurri, an oily dressing. The red one is very 'hot' and the other one is mild. Does anyone use that?
And what do you know? I forgot to take any other pictures. No drinks or otherwise. Sorry Elizabeth, the image at the start of this post will have to do for my beverage...

A parcel arrived today of a product that I had ordered. It is a shampoo bar made by a company called Lush. I had heard a lot about these, and this particular type seems to be beneficial for people who have had chemo therapy and have been left with very fine, unmanageable hair. (like me). I'm going to use it tomorrow morning and I'll let you know how I got on.
Time to say Goodbye and untill next Tuesday!
Have a good week,
Hugs,
Lisca

19 comments:

  1. What a fascinating post Lisca! I find your post cards so interesting.
    So is your house. I've seen pictures from the inside and out on your terrace, but I think this is the first time I've seen a street view. Can't you also enter from the top area?
    One of my favorite burritos is a chimichurri burrito...... but NOT the seriously HOT stuff.
    Happy T-day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your second home looks like a fun little get away and even though it is winter you still have such a nice view. It's really interesting to see what it is like to live elsewhere. I do remember your almond stove, and find it fascinating and what a good way to recycle the left over shells. Sounds like life is good right now. Hope this week is good also and you have a happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! I love your postcards-especially the first one, and stamps are always the bonus:) Looks like you are living such a wonderful life -the way it should be enjoyed when you're retired. Hope the new shampoo does what it promises. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those postcards are very cool. I enjoyed seeing your house from the street. Its really built into the hillside.That must help conserve some energy.
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great postcards and I love the stamp.
    was great seeing your home, and was very interested in your stove-had not heard of using nut shells before-that was pretty neat.
    Happy T hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely postcards, and your home looks wonderful. Great idea to burn the almond shells, what a wonderful stove - I wish I was sitting by it right now! Your food has made me hungry! Your cat is gorgeous, say hello to her from me. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello to your cat

    What an interesting post with very beautiful postcards and and lots of other things as well.

    Your home in such a wonderful place with so much to see around you. A great way to use the nut shells as well

    Have a really Happy T Day

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are living a fantastic life Lisca! I am interested in the hair bar from Lush. I wash my hair and body with an ordinary soap bar since a few month to avoid plastic trash and it works super for me.

    Have a great week my friend!
    Big hugs Susi

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely post and you got some interesting mail the cards and their stamps look lovely.
    Your other home has awesome views of the countryside and sitting by the stove on a cool day sounds really relaxing. It must be a lovely cool interior on hot days as well.
    Happy T day wishes Lisca.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful set of photos. And your cat is very handsome looking! Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful mail from far asia... i wish my cat would keep that calm when i come with my camera, he rarely is in the mood to be photographed. so far i never heard of almond shells for a fuel material, really interesting!
    have a great week, lisca, happy t-day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Lisca. I think the statue on the Indonesian stamp is the latest sculpture of the Hindu God Wisnu sitting astride the mythical bird Garuda (http://nowbali.co.id/meet-designer-garuda-wisnu-kencana-nyoman-nuarta/). It's the largest statue in the world - about 30m taller than the Statue of Liberty in New York. Absolutely beautiful.

    "The Guest Cat" sounds like a lovely book. I wonder if it's available in English.

    We have chimichurri here. It's very good on meat. I prefer the mild one.

    Thank you for asking about my arm. The doctor didn't give me any special exercises, so I'm very carefully doing my own - mostly stretching to straighten the elbow. I can't put much weight on the arm for a while because new bone is still forming.

    The collage papers are actual tissue paper. I just love them.

    We don't call them cave houses here, but we have a few similar to yours. Our first house was built on the side of a mountain and one room was built against the mountainside. That is, it had a rock wall. It was the coolest room in the summer and the warmest in the winter. From the pictures, I can see yours is actually cut into the mountain. It must be very comfy and cozy. I'm fascinated by your stove. Are they common in Spain? Kathy would love cooking on that ;-)

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a life! This looks like a fascinating place, to have a home built that way and with the roof-top terrace. And such a view!

    Your pork roast looks delicious. I've never tried that kind of sauce, but I'm up for a bit of a change and will look for it in our grocery. Thx!

    I'll be interested in hearing about the soap, as my husband has had chemotherapy with the resultant changes in hair texture. I've never heard of that brand.

    Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so pleased that you have had a good week and your postcards are fabulous, they would make me happy too 😁. Your cat is adorable, that's such a beautiful photo that you captured, so sharp and oh those eyes! Your little house looks wonderful too. Wishing you a Happy T Day! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Asian cards are absolutely beautiful! And so is your house. I bet the landscape is stunning when all the green and flowers are out. I hope you will post a picture when the season changes.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your stamps and post cards are always so interesting. And fabulous area for a house! I bet you really enjoy your time there! I am confused though about where you are. You mention the Sierra Nevada mountains, which are in the U.S. For some reason, I thought you were somewhere else. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for joining T yesterday. I'm so pleased you showed up, even though I was unavailable. Please check my Wednesday post I still haven't written to see where I have been. I'll be back soon to visit and see what I have missed. For now, just be aware, I am so grateful for your visit and continued support of T Tuesday, dear Lisca.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the postcards and I absolutely adore that pig stamp! Your house looks so in interesting and always such lovely views! I have heard that soap mentioned as being very good so I hope you like it!! Happy T Day Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely postcards and I love your house, Lisca. Happy T-day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete