Tuesday 1 January 2019

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 1 Jan 2019 - T for Happy New Year!!

Happy New Year!! 

Gosh that year flew by! I am writing this on New Year's Eve, as I am not likely to get up tomorrow morning .
We are here with my mum and my cousin in Holland and are eating traditional Dutch pastries. This New Year's Eve speciality is called 'oliebollen' 

 It is deep fried dough ball with currants. This is what it looked like without the icing sugar.

 This one is called 'appelflap', and has apples in it.

We are sort of waiting for midnight and looking outside where people are already firing the fire works. It's quite noisy. We are having attempt at Charades but the fire works are making a lot of noise.

I have saved some of my postcards from last week. Here is one from the US. 
It was sent to me by Simone, who has a husband and a Boston terrier called Boston.
The stamp is beautiful and of interest to me as a geologist: The stamp on the left shows variscite. 
Variscite is a hydrated aluminium phosphate mineral (relatively rare). It is sometimes confused with turquoise; however, variscite is usually greener in color. The green color results from the presence of small amounts of chromium.

She also added  fun sticker with books:
The second card is from Russia and was sent to me by Nelly from Sebastopol. The card is an old map of the Crimea. Of course Sebastopol is on that peninsula.
Nelly teaches capoeira. Capoeira is a martial art that combines elements of fight, acrobatics, music, dance and rituals in a very elegant and magnetic way. Performed by two people, it is often called “Capoeira game” that is played, not a fight.
Capoeira was created nearly 500 years ago in Brazil by African slaves (mainly from Angola).  To cover their inside combats from their captors, the African slaves used their traditional music, singing and dancing.

I had never heard of it and I find it fascinating.



The stamps have beautiful flowers.

As today is T for Tuesday, hosted by Elizabeth and Bluebeard, so here is my beverage. I'm helping mum open one of her christmas presents and her cup of tea is on the table. In a mug commemorating Queen Elizabeth's Silver Jubilee 1952-1977.

Wishing all of you a very happy T-Day and most of all a peaceful and healthy New Year.

Hugs

Lisca






18 comments:

  1. Hi Lisca, looks you all are having so much fun. those treats look delicious too.
    always enjoy the postcards and pretty stamps this time.
    Happy Happy New Year hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, Lisca. I'm in awe of all those deep fried pastries. There must be like a gazillion calories in each one (grin). They look tempting, though.

    That postcard from the states is beautiful. That 29 cent stamp is as rare as the variscite. They haven't made those for ages. At least 15 years! You lucked out. Of course the other postcard is lovely, too, and those stamps are really beautiful.

    What a beautiful mug. I bet it's a collectable, too. I really enjoyed the thoughts and I have that last one in my files I found in my office.

    I hope you had a great, albeit loud, New Year's celebration. I hope 2019 is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We get the same deep fried pastries here at new year - and all the year - but they are always at the front of the counter here. The postcards and stamps you received were great. Nice to see you with your mum.Happy T Day and Happy new year to you and yours, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful postcards as always. The food looks different but I bet it was tasty. Nice to see you and your mum

    A very Happy 2019 and a T Day to you

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post cards looked lovely and those Russian stamps were really pretty.
    It is a happy photo with you and your mum and the food looked lovely, the apple looked a bit like what we call an apple turnover here in the UK.
    Happy T day and I hope the coming year will be a happy and healthy one for you and your family.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy treats and really great postcards. The photo of your mom makes me smile. She looks a bit like my mom did.
    Happy New Year and T day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year Lisca. I have heard of oliebollen although I have never had one. Both of your new years pastries look yummy. Here we had some people setting off fireworks but more off in the distance since it is very rural here. But I will admit I didn't make it until midnight. Happy T Day and wishing you a wonderful new year. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Dutch pastries look delicious, Lisca.

    I loved the Capoeira videos. All forms of dance/movement appeal to me. Thank you for introducing me to a new one.

    Love the photo of you and your mom, as well as your random quotes - really good ones today.

    Happy T-day and a very Happy New Year! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pastries look delicious. Without the dried fruit they look similar to Italian zeppole. The postcards and stamps are so pretty and you learn something new, too. Have a Happy New Year, Happy T Day, and safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pastries are making my mouth water, they look so delicious. Happy T Tuesday and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year and T-day too!
    Your pastries are making my mouth water LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pleased you are having a wonderful time with your family! The pastries look so yummy, I would love to try them, I hope you enjoyed your New Year celebrations too 😁. Happy T Day and wishing you a Happy New Year filled with peace, love and happiness! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... Thanks Lisca! The die set I have is:
      Docrafts X-Cut A5 Die Set (Folk Alphabet XCU503284)
      Happy New Year! J x

      Delete
  13. Your pastries look SO YUMMY! Those would definitely be my weakness if they were in my house. And a lovely collection of cards and stamps that you share this week. But I have to say, that meme at the end about sneaking home from parties certainly makes me laugh. How true! I would much rather be at home nowadays than out partying.
    Happy New Year and Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy new Year, Lisca!
    I like the "appelfap" very much. (German: Apfelstrudel)
    Manfred

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy your postcards and the definitions and details. Lovely photo of you and your Mum and her tea in the very special mug! Happy New Year & Tea Day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. delicious looking pastries, interesting postcards, and fascinating link to a martial arts/dance I've never heard of before! you're right, it is mesmerizing. Loved the quotes at the end of your post, and the photo of you and your mom is priceless! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ooh, yumm, yumm, yumm... i should not go to your blog when i´m hungry;)
    happy new year, lisca, may it bring health and happiness!! ♥

    ReplyDelete