Friday 4 January 2019

A Postcard A Day - Friday 4 Jan 2019 - Friday Smiles

Hello Friday friends!
Happy 2019. Away with the old year and all its problems, difficulties and sad times. Lets look forward to a new year full of promise and expectations.

I hope Annie will be back to show off her lovely grandies, and I look forward to reading about Virginia's visits to stately homes and sculpture parks.

Let me show you some postcards that I received before we left for the Netherlands. This one is from Austria.

 I like doors and windows, so I have a lovely window and window box. Perfect.

The next one I like even more. It looks quite iconic. It comes from Switzerland and features Charles Eames posing in the lounge chair 1956 for an advertisement. (From the Vitra Design Museum in Switzerland.)

Who is Charles Eames you might ask?
Charles and Ray Eames were two of the most influential designers of the 20th Century.
Charles and Ray Eames are most famous for their iconic chairs, which transformed our idea of modern furniture, but this was merely one facet of their work. They were graphic and textile designers, architects and film-makers. If they’d confined their efforts to just one of these genres, we’d still be talking about them today. Yet they spread their talents far and wide, becoming two of the greatest designers of the 20th Century.
In 2018, it was 40 years since Charles died, and 30 years since his beloved wife and creative partner Ray (born Bernice Kaiser) passed away. And their groundbreaking work remains as influential as ever, with a new exhibition at the Vitra Museum exploring the careers of this dynamic couple.
Here is a photo I found on the internet:

The designs of his chairs are so timeless. I just love it.
The stamps on this card are also very interesting. I have not been able to find much info about that one on the right, beautiful though it is.
I would like to share a photo of our New Year's Eve:
We played a game called Sequence. I managed to find a small travel version of this game and I taught my cousin to play it too. 
I had made a traditional 'Russian' salad. It's made with boiled potatoes and slow cooked pulled meat, with little bits of gherkin and pickled onions. Lashes of mayonnaise etc. You get the idea. It's delish. It looks pink because we add beetroot. With another beetroot I cut out the year
 Of course there was Champagne (courtesy of my cousin). Hubby is opening it as I don't want the cork to shoot through mum's glass cabinet!
I don't have any funnies for you, but as it's the first post of the year, a few more reflective pictures.
That's it from me. 
Enjoy your weekend and...
Keep smiling!
Hugs,
Lisca




9 comments:

  1. Great post-Happy New Year-I am working on being much more positive this year.
    I love that last photo-emotional outlet
    Happy Friday Hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you rung the new year in with style. I was truly impressed with the salad and how you cut those numbers.

    I have heard of Charles Eames. Yes, his chairs are quite famous.

    Have a great Friday and a wonderful weekend. Great photo of your husband, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the NewYear feast pic....looks really yummy. The pic of the dog was very apt....my shine had been stolen ....but it’s coming back now thankfully.
    Biggest hugs,
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah and a Happy New Year to you too, the feast looks fabulous and I love how you've put the year on it to note the occasion. Champagne sounds lovely I had nosecco (dealcoholised Prosecco - allegedly).

    I hope you have a fabulous weekend and week ahead.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. In response to your not understanding the games, I'm not sure if they are takes on American ones or not, but several British friends got them.

    For example:
    1.Sag, You're it -> Tag, you're it
    2.Pin the Toupee on the bald guy -> Pin the tail on the donkey (a game you play where you are blindfolded. There's a large picture of a donkey, you are blindfolded and turned around several times, then try to figure out where the donkey is and pin a tail, which you are given, on it.)
    8.Hide and go pee ->I bet even YOU or your children played Hide and seek

    Does that help?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to mention, the glass panels are decorations only. The lighting comes from overhead lights.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lisca, hope your Christmas was a good one. The post today is very informative and looks like your New Year's eve was good too. When dogs have someone that loves them that's all they need, if only life for humans was so simple. Have a great weekend and a Happy New Year, Angela xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a good new year's holiday you had. I've never heard of Russian salad, but it does sound good. An those dog funnies are really precious. How true. Now I know what I want to do in 2019. Be content with the moment, just like dogs do. :) Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lisca. I am finally getting back into the swing of things.My commenting was delayed by the Three Kings fiesta in our village but I am here now. I love a window box overflowing with geraniums so your first card really appealed to me.
    Your Russian salad sounds delicious. It is not quite like what I know as Russian salad, but we both like beetroot so I am sure we would have liked yours too. We have a set of Sequence board and cards, and it always comes out when I have visitors here.
    Wishing you much joy in the coming year. Kate x

    ReplyDelete