Friday 11 January 2019

A Postcard A Day - Friday 10 January 2019 - Friday Smiles (And very rude funnies)

Hello lovely Friday friends,

Here I am again, at my computer, with a few postcards to show you and to tell you how my week has gone.

Of course I will be linking up with Annie at A Stitch in Time and with Virginia at Rocking your Week Friday.
Usually I would start by showing you some postcards, but today I'm going to show you two Christmas cards I received. 

As we left the country so early, I didn't see most of my christmas cards until after we got home last week. 
Here is the one Annie sent me. Thank you so much Annie! It is beautiful. The image in the middle is fabric and the cross stitches are hand embroidered. The theme of course is 'bears' (What else!)

 The next card is  from Shaz and Doug. The baubles are embossed (I think) in a glittery golden which is not so visible on the scanned image. But believe me, it is absolutely gorgeous. Thanks Shaz!



These cards will be sitting on my workdesk for a good while, after which they go in a box where I keep all my hand-made cards. I look through them periodically when I need some inspiration.

The week has pàst very quickly. We arrived back in Spain very late on Friday night and Saturday we slept late, unpacked and generally relaxed.
Then in the evening we went out for dinner with some of our Danish friends who own the house next door. I thought that was a good idea as we had little food in the house and no enthusiasm to cook.

On Sunday I baked my own bread, so when we came home from church, there was a lovely loaf plus the house smelling of freshly baked bread. (One of the best smells ever)

Sunday was Epiphany, or as they call it here Los Reyes. A very popular festival that remembers the visit of the three kings to the baby Jesus. The children receive their presents  (in stead of Christmas) on this day. 
It is a bit of folklore. The Bible does mention Magi visiting the Christchild.  The term magi originally referred to a caste of Persian priests, astrologers who looked to the stars as guides. Nowhere in the Bible do we find how many. The Eastern Orthodox church believes there were 12, and in western folklore they became three kings, probably because they gave three gifts.
There are usually parades therough the town and the 'kings' and their entourage throw sweets into the crowds. 

Because Sunday was Epiphany, Monday was a Bank Holiday. Another day that the shops were closed.
We raided the freezer where I always keep home made meals as I habitually cook double portions.

Monday night saw us driving to our weekend home where we relaxed by the fire and watched this DVD which was one of our Christmas presents.


It follows Todd White (amongst others) in Rome. Todd is a Canadian former professional ice hockey player, who is now a street preacher:
He is a bit mad cap but we like him.

On Tuesday we had a meal out again so I was glad when the gym opened again on Wednesday.

One of the items in my suitcase from Holland were these dried peas. 

I went to the butcher to get some meat with lots of bone

And I made a traditional Dutch 'erwtensoep' (thick pea soup) on Wednesday.
Yesterday I spent the day in my craft room. I had a list of things I wanted to do, but I didn't do much creating. I went through my supplies, tidied, organized and sorted some photos. Then eventually I did do two scrapbook pages. 
I played with my Gelatos (Tropical) which have the colours in this photo (below), but I don't seem to be able to use them any other way than as crayons. They don't turn into watercolours, which I was hoping. In the end I used some of my millions of scrapbook papers, and now my photo (of mum and me) can go in the album.


The second page I made is a photo of my dad when he was young. I played with my die cuts to make cogs to match the paper. The clock wheels on the page are shiny, and the little envelope is meant to house some journaling. I will have to phone mum to ask her some details. I should have phoned her last night but I was busy preparing my blog and in the end I forgot.

That is it from me today. As usual, I will add some funnies. They come with a health warning this time. A disclaimer, warning, or whatever you want to call it. 

They are particularly UN-politically correct and rude. If you are easily offended, don't read on. If you are a vegan, sorry, I have nothing against vegans. I just thought it was funny.

Have a lovely weekend and,
Keep smiling,
Hugs
Lisca









Translation: Last selfie before they put us back in the box!


7 comments:

  1. I love the last funny. I also laughed at the guy from the Netherlands. They were all cute.

    You got two incredible Christmas cards, Lisca. I can't believe all the time it must have taken Annie to make hers. WOW. And Shaz's sparked, too.

    I was some pea soup. It sounds wonderful. Hope you have a great Friday and a lovely weekend now that you are home and your craft room is tidy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my friend. Firstly I must say that I'm so glad my card arrived safely but I'm really sorry to say that the embroidery is done on my machine [I made about 60 cards so hand embroidery is out of the question sadly].
    Your photo of your day is really lovely as of course the one of you with your mum but I especially love old black and white photos. I can smell your loaf of bread from here :-)
    Your funnies really got me chuckling...thanks for sharing them.
    I buy the peg dolls on ebay and really love painting them...ideas of course taken from Pinterest. The one you were asking about is a fireman.....many hours of play has been enjoyed by all the grandees with the ones I've painted and this year they all had some Christmas ones to hang on their trees.
    Hugs,
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That should read....the photo of your dad....of course :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made some thick pea soup this past week. I don't know if it is the Dutch version but it is so delicious. :) I bet the Dutch version is wonderful too. And it is interesting to read about the Magi. I didn't know any of that and have always just heard there was 3. You learn something new every day, as they say here. Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisca, I saw the mention at Annie,s about the pegs which I buy from Hobbycraft and The Range. I know you're not in the UK too often but maybe you could pay them a visit next time. Loving the funnies and the Brexit one is so true. Pleased you got back safely too. Sending hugs, Angela xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lisca-I really enjoyed this post-so much happening.
    I love your christmas cards especially the one hand sewn. Your pea soup looks delicious-I want to make a soup today so I may just make a different version of this soup-a friend gave us two big bags of yellow split peas.
    wow I just looked out my window and it's snowing here again-very pretty in the snow.
    Your bread looks wonderful, and some different funnies this time-My favorite was the map with the cat playing-that was clever.
    Happy weekend-hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh those funnies literally had me laughing out loud. The pea soup looks delicious, I have soup on my list of makes for January, I haven't managed many off the list yet, so hopefully it will make its way higher up the list now.

    The Christmas cards are beautiful, I've managed to reuse mine for next year by using lots of them as card toppers.

    I hope you are having a fabulous weekend and week ahead.

    XXXx

    ReplyDelete