Tuesday 20 June 2023

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 20 June 2023 - T for a fortress, a sculptress and Pete Seeger....


 Hello lovely ladies, Here I am again and I'm still on my travels. I have some photos to show you but first my postcard for today:



Hohensalzburg Fortress is a large medieval fortress in the city of Salzburg, Austria. It sits atop the Festungsberg at an altitude of 506 m. It was erected at the behest of the Prince-Archbishops of Salzburg. The fortress is 250 m long and 150 m wide making it one of the largest medieval castles in Europe. Wikipedia


It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and it comes to me from the USA. Kristina, who is an airplane engineer and lives in Renton, Washington state, sent it to me because I collect postcards from UNESCO WH sites.

So it has US stamps:

What beauties! Now who is Edmonia Lewis?
Mary Edmonia Lewis,(July 4, 1844 – September 17, 1907) also known as "Wildfire", was an American sculptor, of mixed African-American and Native American heritage. Born free in Upstate New York, she worked for most of her career in Rome, Italy. Wikipedia
Mary Edmonia Lewis was a trailblazer who shattered racial barriers as the first professional African American sculptor in the mid-1800s, becoming famous for her 1,408kg marble sculpture, The Death of Cleopatra.
Read more about her and this sculpture here:

And of course we all know Pete Seeger! 
Peter Seeger (May 3, 1919 – January 27, 2014) was an American folk singer and social activist. A fixture on nationwide radio in the 1940s, Seeger also had a string of hit records during the early 1950s as a member of the Weavers, notably its recording of Lead Belly's "Goodnight, Irene", which topped the charts for 13 weeks in 1950. Wikipedia


I personally remember 'Where have all the flowers gone?' and 'Turn, Turn,Turn' (Later the Byrds had a hit with it), and 'If I had a hammer' (Trini Lopez had a hit with that). I also remember 'Kisses, sweeter than wine'. (Are you humming it with me?)


Wikipedia writes: Seeger was one of the folk singers responsible for popularizing the spiritual "We Shall Overcome" (also recorded by Joan Baez and many other singer-activists), which became the acknowledged anthem of the civil rights movement, soon after folk singer and activist Guy Carawan introduced it at the founding meeting of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) in 1960.


My friend and I are now in Italy. Strangely enough the weather in Northern Europe was much warmer. Here it is cool and very windy. We did go to the beach yesterday but we couldn’t swim, it was too wild.

But let’s take you back to Germany. Here we are in a beautiful place called Haslach. We looked for somewhere to eat, but it was late ( in Germany they eat early, at 8 pm there is nothing to be had)
But the beer is really nice. I too love the weissbier. It comes in enormous glasses.
But we were hungry and this place sold Flammkuchen. I had no idea what it was but it is a extremely fine pizza. Very yummy and crispy.


Then we walked through the village. This is the town hall:
And in the next street we found a sculpture:

We found another restaurant still open and we stopped for an ice cream. I forgot to take a picture of it, but as it was getting dark, I photographed the ‘pub sign’.

That’s it from me today. As it’s T for Tuesday hosted by Elizabeth and Bluebeard, I hope you will all join us by posting a drink in your blog. My drink was that enormous glass of beer.

Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca






10 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Hmm, strange with opening times - here restaurants usually close 11:30 pm.
Hmmm, Flammkuchen, very yummy. Just sad about the cold weather.
The sculptures are cute.
Enjoy your trip, fingers crossed for proper summer-weather.
Happy T-Day.

Mae Travels said...

Did you mention Pete Seeger's many performances of "This Land is Your Land" by his friend and co-singer Woody Guthrie? To me this is his most iconic song. Verses often left out:

As I went walking I saw a sign there,
And on the sign it said "No Trespassing."
But on the other side it didn't say nothing.
That side was made for you and me.

In the shadow of the steeple I saw my people,
By the relief office I seen my people;
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking
Is this land made for you and me?

Nobody living can ever stop me,
As I go walking that freedom highway;
Nobody living can ever make me turn back
This land was made for you and me.

DVArtist said...

Looks like a very nice trip. That pizza looks amazing. Have a wonderful weekend.

Carola Bartz said...

I'm surprised that you couldn't find a place to have dinner at 8pm - I guess Haslach is a small place. Usually it's no problem to find a place to eat in Germany at that time. We never experienced it otherwise, and even after the theatre or a concert we were always able to find restaurants that would still serve food. Whereas here in the US, it's a real problem.

nwilliams6 said...

OM Gosh - I want to try that pizza - looks fabulous. And the drink looks great too. Started a diet two days ago so looks REALLY good! Lol. How fun you are in Italy. I am so jealous! Love the post cards and really loved the Wildfire stamp. She was a talented and very smart lady! Wow. I would have put some hair on Cleopatra though. Great post, Lisca. Stay safe. Happy T-day. Hugz

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry I'm late visiting. Lightening took out the electricity last night in my neighborhood. The cats and I spent the night in sweltering heat and only the electricity from my portable OTT light. Wish it had been as cool as where you were/are.

That is a wonderful postcard and the stamps are even more impressive. BTW, Renton is a "suburb" of Seattle. It's where the Boeing 737s are built.

Nice to see Pete Seeger's stamp. I'll sing along with you.

Wow, that is about the same time restaurants in the states close up. I am surprised because I thought Europe was famous for late dinners. I LOVE that pizza. My kind of pizza. I hate thick bread pizzas that are all the rage here in the states. So hard to find a thin, cracker like crust. I bet it went well with that large glass of beer, too.

Thanks for sharing your postcard, photos from your trip, your pizza, and your beer with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.

Sharon Madson said...

Love the Hohensalzburg Fortress. The street sculpture is great. I loved Where Have all the Flowers gone, one of my favorites. Enjoy your travels. Happy T day.

Anonymous said...

Edmonia Lewis sounds incredible... respect for an amazing trailblazer. Love the Greek restaurant sign with its own storks nest on top!
Keren

CJ Kennedy said...

I am humming all the songs.😺I enjoyed your photos of Haslach and the murals on the half-timbered buildings. Happy T Day. Enjoy your trip!

Empire of the Cat said...

Hi Lisca, I hope you are enjoying your trip, sounds like you are. I had a lot of weissbeir and flammkuchen when I lived in Germany lol Love the sculpture with the dogs, that's so cool. Sorry for my lateness, I've been out all week. Happy belated T Day Elle/EOTC xx