Friday 23 June 2023

A Postcard A Day - Friday 23 June 2023 - Friday Smiles


 


 Hello lovely ladies,

I have a black and white postcard for you today. It features the London Docks in bygone days, but was posted in the USA:


Info at the back of the card: "Whilst London has been a port since Roman times, the dock complex to the east of London was not constructed until the days of the railways in the 19th century. At one time it covered hundreds of square miles with produce from all over the world being stored in enormous warehouses. During the second world war the dock complex was badly damaged by bombs but it was containerisation and the much larger container ships that led to complete closure."

Here are the stamps:

The stamp top right is not very clear because of the cancellation stamp (and the bad scan). Here is a better picture:


From the series 'Enjoy the great outdoor': Hiking (2020)

The dark one is the sun solar flare:


In 2021, the United States Postal Service issued a set of 10 Forever stamps honoring Sun Science. Each design pictures a different phenomenon exhibited by our Sun. These include: coronal holes, coronal loops, solar flares, the active Sun, plasma blasts, and sunspots.

The third stamp features an eel and a coral and is from a series of forever stamps about coral reefs.
This coral is brain coral.
Despite their name, brain coral do not have brains.  Their name comes from their appearance, which is strikingly similar to the human organ.  While many living closer to the surface are brightly colored, those that grow in deeper waters are grayer, striking an even stronger resemblance.


I’m in Italy at the moment, visiting my son in Abruzzo  I used to live here myself and it’s really nice to see old friends too. This is my son ( you might have seen this already on FB):


I’m spending time with my 8 year old grandson, who is so active I get tired just looking at him!


Here featured with Rafa, the Girafa.

We are traveling with a dog too:


She likes to lie in the sun so we have to constantly call her back into the shade as it’s too hot.

Finally a photo of a street nearby:


That’s it from me this Friday  There will be some funnies at the end.

Have a lovely weekend!

Hugs,

Lisca



The sign reads: 'My owner will be back soon' And it features the temperature in the car. In the picture it shows 22 degrees C.











4 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a wonderful post, Lisca. Love the postcard and was impressed by how large that dock was originally. Those stamps are great. I haven't seen the Great Outdoors, but I have the other two.

Nice that you are spending time with your son and his family, including your grandson. I can imagine he is active.

That's a beautiful town. I liked the banners that connected the buildings. Are those crocheted?

Cute funnies. I think my favorite was Peanuts. Such a positive message. Hope you are enjoying your time away in Italy.


mamapez5 said...

Have a lovely time with your son and grandson.
I love the bunting in the street. I have not been to Italy but I can imagine it is lovely. Enjoy the next leg of your journey. Kate x

Iris Flavia said...

Fun and happy times - see you got summer-weather after all! And family time, that´s great! To holidays in Italy

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Pleased to see you having a good time away. We're hoping to have a holiday soon but mum has to come first riht now. Happy weekend, Angela xXx