Tuesday 2 May 2023

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 2 May 2023 - T for Elvis, crosses and roses, and Second on the 2nd

Hello lovely ladies, Today T for Tuesday coincides with Second on the 2nd, so this post will be both. First I will show you my postcard for today and show you a few things that i have been up to, and at the end I will put an old blogpost from several years ago (2014) for you to take a second look at.

So here is my postcard. It comes from Belgium:
Unfortunately the card is damaged and I can't follow the recipe.
The stamps are spectacular. The sender uses new and old stamps:
The stamps on the far left and the far right are old as they are priced in Francs. Belgium switched to Euros in 1999, so these stamps are older. 
The stamp on the right features the caves of Remouchamps. I remember going there as a child. Located in Belgium, the cave of Remouchamps has among its many wonders the longest subterranean river known in the world. Opened in 1912 and originally equipped with torches, the caves are explored in two parts. The first is a long walk to a grand “cathedral”, followed by an hour and a half boat ride down the caves’ quiet and entirely underground river, the Rubicon. Floating down the underground river gives the impression of an entering a lost underground fairy kingdom.


The history of the Caves of Remouchamps is also quite unique. Some 8,000 years ago, Paleolithic hunters sheltered themselves in the cave, and much later, the same area was used as a wine shelter, and a shelter during World War II.

Philippe or Filip is King of the Belgians. He is the eldest child of King Albert II and Queen Paola. He succeeded his father upon the latter's abdication for health reasons on 21 July 2013.  The king featured on the two middle stamps is king Albert II. (Photo below)


The left stamp is  king Baudouin. Baudouin, Dutch name Boudewijn, was King of the Belgians from 17 July 1951 until his death in 1993. 


His wife, queen Fabiola, did not have children and Baudouin was succeded by his brother Albert.

The last stamp (second from the right) shows the town of Doornik (in French Tournal). It is a town in western Belgium near the French border. It is famous for its 5 spired church of Notre Dame (which means Our Lady).
All five spires are visible on the stamp.

Enough about stamps. What have I been up to? My Danish friend and I went to the garden centre the other day and I bought two roses:

A lemon tree:
And twelve geraniums (all packed together on the floor).
The idea is to fill my pots, of which I have 12.
The lemon tree has a few flowers:
I've made a start potting my geraniums. Tomorrow I'll do the rest.


I had to stop potting yesterday as it started to rain! Yes, the first rain in months!
We all got very exited!

All of Caniles is in fiesta mode. It is the fiesta of the crosses (4th of May) combined with the 1 May Bank holiday. So four days of fiesta. I live just far enough from the centre not to hear the loud music that goes on until 4 in the morning.
There are decorated crosses everywhere in the village. In public places and also in people's houses or patios which are usually open to the public in the morning. A patio is an outdoor space in the centre of the house. The house is usually built around the patio. Most patios connect to the garage of the house, so people open the garage door and one can visit the cross without having to traipse through the main house.
My second on the 2nd features a cross that a group of women decorated, after I did a workshop in 2014 of making roses. 

Today is Elizabeth and Bluebeard's T-Party where we share a drink or drink related image.
I want to share this meal with you (so to speak) and my glass of wine:
It's a Mexican chilli, one of my Hello Fresh recipes. It was very tasty, but I don't think I can give you the recipe as it is not mine.

That is all folks. Wishing you all a good week and happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca




Hi peeps,
A while ago I wrote that I started a craft workshop here in the village. Twelve ladies turn up every Monday evening at 5 pm. They wanted to learn to do paper flowers with a flat back so they could stick them on a large cross for the local festival.


I looked around the internet and found a tutorial by SreeCrafts on YouTube which I found useful and away we went. Every Monday we had fun with paper, scissors and glue until we had enough flowers.

The idea was to cover the large cross for the local festival on the 3rd of May. 
Under the direction of a lady called Paqui, we stuck the roses onto the cross



 and we made four giant roses to lay on the floor. It's difficult to describe so here are some photos.
I think the result is stunning! The shape on the floor was made by 'plucking' pine cones and cutting up herbs from the field. The bowl in the foreground has now been filled with fruit. There are antique objects all around. All in all an interesting display. The idea is that for several days (1-4 May) the public come and look at these crosses. Well, I think ours is pretty spectacular. Don't you?

Thank you for stopping by,
God bless and..... keep scrapping!

Lisca






 










15 comments:

Mae Travels said...

I can see that your postcard’s biscuit recipe is defaced, but if you actually want to make biscuits it’s easy to find another recipe! Your story about the flower makers in your village is neat.

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

Happy May Lisca. Remouchamps looks like a great place to visit. I would like to go there. And our geranium pots look lovely. I like those pots. They look like painted ceramic. And I'm sure your plants also loved the rain. And that was a great second on the second post. Those flowers look wonderful on the cross, and the whole display is pretty amazing, Thanks for sharing it. I hope you have a great T day and week ahead. hugs-Erika

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, I would love to visit that cave!
A lemon tree! Wish such plants would grow and bring fruit here, too!
Beautiful pots, too.
Your rain made me giggle.
When in Perth and it rained friends really called me (it´s so rare it was but once) to ask if we have rain, too!
So, instead of enjoying it I was on the phone!
I love rain and we had a tinned roof!
Loud music does not sound like fun (I feel old).
You get Hello Fresh? They are big here, too. So far I refuse. But it looks yummy and your place is decorated so pretty. Hugs.
And yay to the paper flowers.

nwilliams6 said...

Lisca, your flowers are awesome and you all did a fabulous job with that cross. Amazing work. How sweet of you to arrange and teach all this. Love the Elvis biscuit card - how fun!!!! Your plants and terrace look fabulous. Happy T-day and take care. Hugz

Anonymous said...

Lisca the cross is so beautiful, how lovely that you all made the flowers to decorate it with. The caves look interesting but I wouldn’t want to go down them, have you every been to the caves near Alicante, they are worth a visit.
I love your wall with the geraniums,I now have artificial flowers in mine as they died in the heat with having not enough soil to keep damp according to my husband
Happy T day. Jan S

Kate Yetter said...

Love your outdoor space! The lemon tree is lovely as will be the geraniums in all those pots.
So funny that you got an Elvis postcard from Belgium. I bet you could find the missing piece off the recipe somewhere online.
I love the cross that you and the ladies made. It is really beautiful!!
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm excited about your plants. Nice! My little patio doesn't have a spot suitable for roses, and a lemon tree would be completely out of the question here.

Happy T Tuesday

Empire of the Cat said...

Hi Lisca, wow those paper roses look amazing! I wish a lemon tree would grow here, it's so nice to be able to go out and pluck a lemon when you need one. We used to have one in Melbourne. Your geraniums will be beautiful hanging in your pots, can't wait to see them. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a nice postcard, even if it was damaged. And those stamps are out of this world. I have a few old stamps, but those are REALLY old.

I checked out Hello Fresh. I can't even afford the shipping charge, much less the meals. For what you paid for shipping, I can buy six cans of tuna, four cans of green beans, three bananas, and one quart of ice cream with a few cents left over. And THAT is just the shipping fee. What gets me is, you still have to cook the food. I've seen some of those offers that have the food prepared and you just pop the contents, which come in disposable packaging, thus eliminating clean up, in either the microwave or your oven.

I really LOVED your second look. Those roses are amazing. You did a great job and those women had fun, too. And you provided a great service, too. Thanks for sharing your wine and your second look with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca. Sorry I went on a rant about pre-made meals.

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Lisca. Glad you are enjoying life and getting a lot done. I have ssome geraniums, too. Glad you got rain, you surel need it. The festivals for 4 days - exhausting - sound like fun, we don't have anything like that here, just carnival! Have a great week, stay happy and healthy, hugs, Valerie

Carola Bartz said...

I totally get your excitement about the rain - this happens here as well.
How interesting to read about your current fiesta. I always love to learn about traditions in other countries. Your patio will look lovely when the geraniums will be in their pots on the wall, even though I think that the pots look lovely all on their own.

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a truly interesting post. The information about the stamps is brilliant! I remember King Baudouin. Glad you found some nice plants for your garden. The flower cross looked beautiful. Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

Darla said...

I enjoy all the history you provide to go with the postcards and stamps. It was interesting to see your friends and paper flowers and the resulting decorated cross. Lots of work went into that display.

Caty said...

That postcard is very pretty, I really like the stamps too Lisca, and learning about them. The Remouchamps cave is impressive, and when I think that humans already lived in it 8,000 years ago, wow, it's tremendous.
It seems that Doornik is a beautiful town. Your lemon tree is growing so well, wish you could soon have lemons and make limon granizado.
Your terrace will be so beautiful soon, with all those lovely plants and flowers. Hope you had a nice T-day.
The cross is beautiful, and the flowers you have made are very pretty. I love all the decoration. I can't believe it was raining there, what a chance! please send us some rain.
Have a nice Friday and weekend,
Big hugs, Caty

Amila said...

I enjoyed reading this post. Lovely plants and beautiful stamps. I collect stamps too though I don't have a good collection yet. So, I happily read about stamps. Beautiful cross with lovely decorations. It is a really a great artistic task!
Thanks for sharing all these. Have a great weekend ahead and a Happy Belated T-day!