Friday 26 May 2023

A Postcard A Day - Friday 26 May 2023 - Friday Smiles

 Hello lovely ladies, How are you all. It's time to round up our smiles of the week and share them with Annie at A Stitch In Time and the other ladies.

My first smile is my postcard:

It shows different images of Amalfi, an Italian town on the Italian coast just south of Naples. The whole coastline is amazingly beautiful. I found out that it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1997.

The postcard comes to me from...no, not Italy, but from California! The sender, Mary, who is 60 yrs old tells me that she had been on holiday to the Mediteranian and walked up those steps in the photo.


The stamps are fun. I see a woodpecker and grapes and pears. And the stamp on the right looks like a water lily (But I might be wrong).

This week was a busy week for me as I had visitors staying. My lovely friend Keren and her hubby.
They arrived on Saturday in the pouring rain! In England the sun was shining and here there was so much rain. We have waited so long for that rain but it wasn't nice that it came just as my visitors arrived.
But Sunday was easy as we went to church and then cooked something nice and we had a lovely day together. 
Monday I went to the gym in the morning. The buildings here are not really built to withstand rain and the roof of the gym leaks like a sieve:
The cleaners were mopping the floor and there were buckets everywhere.

After I had gotten home we had to do some shopping in Caniles and then to Baza as Keren has a gluten free diet  so I'd rather she come with me when I food shop. We found a bakery that did gluten free bread (oh joy of joys). We were so excited that we forgot to take any pictures.
But this is the bread (It looks like normal bread but seems a little whiter)


In the evening we were invited to visit the palace of Enriques in Baza. It was a private viewing as it's not open to the general public, but my friend Antonia's English class in the School for Adults was going and we were allowed to tag along.
Here a photo from the internet:


There was too much rain to photograph the outside:
But inside was amazing!
Beautiful ceilings:

Here is more detail:


I popped my head around the backdoor to the garden:
On Tuesday I will do more pictures.

On Tuesday My friends Kim and Andy came and we cooked salmon (again no photos, but a fun selfie outside):
At some point it was dry and we decided we'd go to Baza to buy ice creams. Of course we walked around a bit and in the Plaza Mayor (The main square) was a replica throne of the Dama de Baza. I just had to sit on it!


This is what the real one (Three thousand years old) looks like:
We're hoping to visit the museum on Friday (I.e. this morning, so that will be something for next week.)

On Wednesday we got up early to go to Almería on the south coast.We left at 9 and took the scenic mountain route (rather than the motorway), which nearly took two hours. In Almería it was dry and better weather than in Caniles.
Keren's hubby wanted to see the guitar museum:
The main exhibition  hall seen from the first floor balcony. The entrance is built like a guitar but you don't realize it when you walk through.
The main boulevard along the coast has a beautiful park running through it full of tropical plants. It is amazing. There are also sculptures:

This is a rower. I will send this to my grandson who is a rower.

I have many more photos of Almería but I'll post some more on Tuesday.

That was it from me today. Lots of smiles in spite of the rain. Keep an eye out for my blog on Tuesday as I will be posting more photos.
As per usual, I will be posting some funnies at the end.

Have a great weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca













5 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

To friends, fun and yum! I love rain, though. Fun pics and love the smiley-ones, too. Have a nice weekend!

Anonymous said...

I’m even later than you visiting you this week cos we had the funeral of my hubbys oldest sister this afternoon...it was really lovely catching up with family and she had a lovely send off.
You’ve had a busy week with your visitors...how wonderful.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Lisca, no wonder you're smiling the postcard and obviously the stamps are lovely. The weather's been beautiful here in the UK but it often is at this time of the year while the children are sitting their exams and cooking in the school halls...I know this from experience! My friends have been in Turkey this week and it rained for at least three days it poured it down. So pleased you're having a good time with your visitors. I saw your question about the raised beds, they are full of soil to the bottom. The other question !!!! really Lisca what do you think Hee! Hee! of course I bought something at the show. It was a great day out too. Sending hugs, Angela xXx

Mae Travels said...

Your funny photos are especially good this week. I love the terrified terrier with his elderly driver, and the A-frican elephant. I hope your weather is better on the weekend.
best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

mamapez5 said...

Another lovely card for your collection Lisca, but it always seems strange to me when people send pictures from somewhere other than their home country.
Such a shame it rained while your friends were here, but we did need that rain so much so we can-t really complain. You were lucky to catch some sun in Almeria, as they were hit the hardest by flooding at the weekend. It is a lovely city, and there is a beach right there too, and an interesting harbour.
You found some good funnies< especially the elephant.
Hope this week is a bit drier for both of us. Kate x