Tuesday 9 May 2023

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 8 May 2023 - T for


Hello lovely ladies, How are you all? Ready to join the T-Party hosted by Elizabeth and Bleubeard? All you need is an image of a drink or a drink reference. Mine will appear later. First off is my postcard:
It was sent by my friend Keren and it shows the ruins of Tintern Abbey with bluebells.

Tintern Abbey, ecclesiastical ruin in Monmouthshire, Wales, on the west bank of the River Wye. Founded for Cistercian monks in 1131, Tintern Abbey was almost entirely rebuilt and enlarged between 1220 and 1287. The building was finally completed, except for minor additions, in the early 14th century.

Tintern is famous for its abbey and for the poets and painters such as Wordsworth and Turner who visited it two hundred years ago in the Romantic period. It is indeed a wonderfully romantic place, lying on the Welsh side of the winding valley of the River Wye between Chepstow and Monmouth.

Tintern Abbey is the best preserved medieval abbey in Wales and is surrounded by beautiful landscape. The place is well maintained with many information cards detailing every aspect of the original building.

The destruction of the abbey was part of Henry's dissolution of the monasteries following his break from Rome. It was also part of an enormous money-making scheme that brought wealth and land to the monarchy.

The stamps are gorgeous. Thank you Karen.

                                             

Great Britain’s Royal Mail celebrates the X-Men, mutant superheroes who fight against enemies in comic books, movies, television shows and more.

The X-Men franchise marks its 60th anniversary in 2023; Marvel Comics published the first issue of the X-Men comic book in 1963.

Royal Mail’s X-Men issue includes 12 stamps in two horizontal se-tenant (side-by-side) strips of six, and a souvenir sheet of five stamps. The 12 stamps have traditional stamp gum, while the stamps in the souvenir sheet are self-adhesive, according to Royal Mail.


Now, let me think what I have been up to this week. Some of it can be seen in my Friday blog post

On Thursday I had been given a courgette (zucchine), not a long one but a round one. 

I got some minced meat out of the freezer and chopped some onions and did a fry-up of that with tomatoes etc. Scooped out the centres and added that to the fry-up and then re-filled them, added some cheese and shoved it in the oven. Delicious!

That will be my ticket to the T-Party!


On Friday I took my Danish friends to the bus station. They are setting off for the north of Spain to start walking the Camino de Santiago de Compostella. They will start in the Pyrenees, on the French side in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port.


Saturday of course was the coronation of king Charles. Although I am not British, it was history in the making so I wanted to watch it on TV now that I have a TV.


I watched from 9:30 in the morning. I saw the royals arrive, saw the coronation service in Westminster Abbey and then the parade, which was most impressive. I saw all the forces gathering in the palace gardens and paying homage to their king. Their cheers of hip hip hurray was quite emotional. Then I saw the king and his queen appear on the balcony with many family members. They were still wearing their heavy crowns (whose idea was that). They had to be very careful and couldn't move their heads and couldn't look up to see the fly over of the helicopters (Charles was a helicopter pilot) or the red Arrows. I felt for him. Anyway, I enjoyed the day.


On Sunday I went to church but before I had chance to cook my dinner, my friend Antonia alerted me to the fact that a mutual friend from Scotland had arrived back from months working as a volunteer in South Africa. He had brought two lady friends with him who had also worked on the project. 


We all met up and spent a whole afternoon sitting outside having drinks and tapas.

On Monday I accompanied Kim and Andy to Granada for a hospital appointment. All went well and we stopped for a drink with tapas:


We weren't impressed by this tapa. It is migas: fried bread crumbs with chorizo.Andy's drink (alcohol free beer) is in the picture so another ticket for the T-Party.

We walked along the Avenida de la Constitución, a wide avenue with a central park walk way with flower beds and statues. very pleasant. 


Here seen from the air.(Photo from the internet). 


It's really nice to walk along.

Here is Kim next to 

Eugenia de Montijo. She was an empress, wife of Napoleon III. She was born in Granada, hence the statue.




I can never resist a beautiful door:


Or two:



That is it from me this week.
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca









13 comments:

Carola Bartz said...

Tintern Abbey is wonderful! I visited there back in the late 80s and loved the place very much. I actually did a hike up above the abbey to get a really good view of it - it was quite the walk. But so worth it - and I was young back then. - We have round zucchini here as well, they're called Eight Ball and I usually cook them by filling them as well. So very delicious! It seems that you were able to spend some good times with friends, that is always lovely. Happy T day, Lisca!

My name is Erika. said...

We don't have ancient buildings here in New Hampshire (our oldest towns are celebrating 400 years this year), and Tintern Abbey looks wonderful. I hope one day I can do more traveling in Europe and see more of the places I haven't seen yet. Covid really did put a big damper on a few years of travel. I'm also impressed your friends are walking the Camino de Santiago de Compostela. That is very impressive. I have a friend who did the shorter one in Portugal one summer. They both sound like amazing accomplishments. I enjoyed the coronation too. It sounds like you had another interesting week; I hope this one is also, and Happy T day to you. hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

Seeing the cityscapes and statues of various towns and also the flowers in spring all over your southern Spanish area seems very lovely. So exotic, for us in the midwest of the US. But we do grow zucchini!

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Iris Flavia said...

You sure had a fun-yum-warm time! You were in the German news with your heat wave as they mentioned it´s again way too cold here...

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely postcard, Tintern Abbey is a wonderful place to be. And glad you spent time with friendsy again, and you never seem to go hungry - nor do I, meeting with friends is time to eat together! The coronation was wonderful, I still remember the Coronation of Elizabeth, we had street parties, and got books as presents - I still have mine. My aunt bought a TV - a tiny black and white screen - and we all packed into her place and watched the coronation live. I will never forget it! Hugs, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I remember when Yvonne and her husband visited Tintern Abbey during T Tuesday several years ago. That made the postcard special to me.

I love zucchini, but it isn't in season here yet. Yours looks good. I bet it went great with the wine, too.

I also watched the entire coronation, even though I was late getting a start on Herb Day.

Granada must be a lovely city and I enjoyed seeing you and Kim by the statue. Thanks for this wonderful entry you have given us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.

Empire of the Cat said...

I also love zucchini and I'm hoping this year that it will want to grow in my garden and save me some money, as the price of veggies is ridiculous here. I only just planted the seeds so I have a while to wait though lol. Love the stamps, I saw them in the shop and was tempted but all the stamp prices have gone up too so I talked myself out of it. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

Kate Yetter said...

So glad that you got to have a spontaneous visit with your friend. The doors are beautiful, but I especially love the statue.
What a really beautiful postcard. I enjoyed reading about the Abbey.
We enjoy the X Men movies so I like those stamps!
You must be an amazing cook to whip up that delicious looking meal, inspired by that zucchini. Yum!
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Divers and Sundry said...

I've never seen that kind of zucchini. Looks tasty. This post is exciting, filled as it is with world travelers and interesting trips. Fun!

Happy T Tuesday

jinxxxygirl said...

Enjoyed your post very much Lisca... Your food looks delish.. even the one you didn't like! Good food, good friends you are truly blessed! Happy happy T day to you! Hugs! deb

Caty said...

This Abbey is really beautiful Lisca ! great postcard with its history. Thank you so much for sharing it. Oops, how good are the stuffed courgettes in the oven! I like them too. Happy T-day ! Beautiful television, and the coronation this weekend was very interesting. I have to say that the migas are delicious, accompanied by meat, chorizo, blood sausage, fried peppers, and fish. We eat them from time to time, even in summer, because we usually eat migas when it rains, or in winter. Very pretty in the photos with Eugenia de Montijo, beautiful doors, it's true.
I wish you a very nice Wednesday, and send big hugs, Caty

nwilliams6 said...

Wonderful post card and stamps. Love your pictures of your visit with friends. You have so many and do some really fun things. Also love the stuffed squash and beautiful doors. Fun week, Lisca. Happy T-day a bit late. Hugz

Sharon Madson said...

Nice walk. It reminds me of the Tuileries Gardens in Paris. Love those stamps. Sounds so fun to meet friends after church and enjoy the afternoon. We didn't watch the royals. I know it is history, but just never got into it. I was quite interested though when it was anything about Princess Diana. Sorry I am so late. Have a great rest of the week, since I am too late to say happy t day. :)