Tuesday 25 April 2023

A Postcard a Day - Tuesday 25 April 2023 - T for

Hello lovely ladies,

How are you today?  It's time for Elizabeth and Bleubeard's T-Party called T for Tuesday. It involves showing a drink or a drink reference. I have one right here. It is a stamp on one of my cards. (You'll see it later).

Here is the card:




It shows the Metate and West Ruin in Aztec, New Mexico.
The description reads: "Ruin had from 350 to 400 rooms and stood three stories high in some places. As many as 200 to 300 persons may have lived there at one time. The pueblo was built between A.D.1106 and 1124 and occupied by people of Chacoan affinities. It was remodeled between A.D. 1225 and 1240 and inhabited by a people akin to the Mesa Verdeans."



Aztec is a misnomer—the Ancestral Puebloan town has no known associations with the prehistoric Aztecs of Central Mexico. Early Anglo settlers, who knew little of American prehistory, first named the ruins and the town drew its name from the ruins.

Unfortunately I can't read the text, the image is low resolution, but at least you can see the lay-out.


I found some info and photos on the Southwest Anthropology and Archaeology Pages  website. 

This is a portion of the long north wall of West Ruin. (Photo above).


Several bands of green sandstone are a unique feature at Aztec Ruins.


The 'great Kiva' of the West Ruin has been reconstructed. (Wikipedia says: "kiva" means a large room that is circular and often  underground, and used for spiritual ceremonies.)


It has a beautiful roof:


The stamps are very pretty:

The two stamps on the left are from a series of forever stamp issued on 24th of January 2021.  
They feature barns in the different seasons.

The right hand stamp is my entry for the T-Party. It is from a series of Forever stamps about coffee.


I can't find when they were issued but  artist Terry Allen created each digital illustration with the style of 1920s and 1930s advertising posters in mind, capturing the inviting atmosphere of an early 20th-century café.

 I've been on a mountain hike this past weekend.  The local council had organized a coach to take us (a large group of 50 people from our village and surroundings) to the starting point in Moclín, a village north-east of Granada (about an hour and something by road).

This is the village and its old fortress. Dating from the Nasrid period, it was built in the mid-14th century as a lookout post on the border line that separated the warring kingdoms of Granada and Castilla. In 1486 it was conquered by the Catholic kings, who continued to use it. Part of the wall and the keep are currently preserved.

The walk/hike was about 9 km and was categorized as medium but I found it very strenuous.

We started down the left descent. (Which did mean we had the whole right hand yellow line climbing up!) 
Then there was the bit along the river:
It had a lovely walkway.
We came to a rest area where the Corcuela Fountain is located. This fountain is especially well-known because a spiral channel has been drawn at its base through which the water flows from the fountain pipe to the drain.

I got this photo from the internet as my photos just had too many people in it.

We passed over two suspension bridges. 
This is the largest one and it wobbles! Here you see me (front in line with the mauve shirt) braving the bridge.

Then we had a long slog uphill again (on the right of the map), which was tough. I must say I struggled and arrived as one of the last ones. But hey! I got there!

Finally one of me and my friend Loli:
That is it from me today.

Happy T-Day and Keep smiling!

Hugs,

Lisca














11 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Wow Lisca that was quite a hike for sure, you remind me of my Mom when she was still with us-she had a traveling partner after my father had passed and the two of them went all over the world-hiking and exploring historical sites.
I have those barn postcard stamps enjoyed your post-Happy T hugs Kathy

My name is Erika. said...

I haven't been to this park (shown in your postcard), but I've been to some similar ones in New Mexico and Colorado. I now really want to check it out. And wow, you went on quite the adventure this past weekend. I don't know who decided what is moderate, easy or difficult when it comes to hikes, but I've been on some hikes where the signs don't seem appropriate. But congrats on making it. That's what is important. Have a great T day Lisca and week ahead. hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

Impressive accomplishment — finishing that hike!

Divers and Sundry said...

I've enjoyed the few suspension bridges I've been on. Yours looks exciting! What a view! Happy T Tuesday

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely card and stamps, and thanks for the infos. That was some hike you had. Wackly bridges are awful, I only went over one once and I never want to do it again. Have a great week, enjoy the time with your friends, hugs, Valerie

Kate Yetter said...

Oh, wow! That looks like a very challenging hike. Good for you! It looks beautiful so I am sure it was worth it.
The pictures of the Aztec structures are lovely and so are the stamps.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

CJ Kennedy said...

The coffee stamps were issued by the USPS in April 2021. Sadly, they are no longer available for sale. That was some adventure you went on. The views must have been stunning. Happy T Day

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry I am so late visiting. I now have four cats and two households to take care of, and last night I visited Sally at the hospital till they threw me out. She finally got a room late last night. Before that she was stuck in the ER on a cot.

Your postcard is awesome and of course, I LOVE the postage stamps. I bought the coffee stamps for last year when I sent ATCs to everyone. For anyone I sent to in the states, those are what I used.

That was an amazing hike. I was impressed. I get vertigo, so you wouldn't catch me on one of those bridges. I applaud your bravery.

Thanks for sharing the postcard, the hike, and you on that bridge, as well as the coffee stamps with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.

nwilliams6 said...

Oh how fun - you posted a post card of a place I have been (New Mexico). My mother loved to visit the ruins when I was younger (we lived in New Mexico) - I went kicking and screaming but now wish I had paid more attention. Your trip looks so interesting and fun. Always so much going on cool in your life! Happy T-day and hugz

Sharon Madson said...

Lisca, I would have loved taking this hike with you! It looks like it would have been beautiful! What wonderful post card & stamps! We visited what they call the Cliff dwellings in Colorado, which was very interesting, Mesa Verde National Park. Happy T Day!

J said...

Interesting info on the card and stamps as usual!
You must be fit to manage the hike, beautiful scenery, well done for completing the walk.
Happy T Day Jan S