Friday 14 April 2023

A Postcard A Day - Friday 14 April 2023 - Friday Smiles





 Hello lovely ladies, Are you ready for some smiles?  I've had many this week. I seem to be busy all the time

Yes, my busy time are interspersed with sad times too of course but on the whole I'm happy most of the time.

Let me show you a postcard:



It comes from China and shows some (unfortunately unspecified) dishes. But I must admit, whatever it is, it looks delicious.
The stamps are really colourful. The one on the right is not a stamp. It was printed on the back of the card.


The stamp on the left is clearly a water melon and the blue stamp celebrates 'The 20th anniversary of Hong Kong's return to the motherland'. (Thank you Google Translate). 

Easter is now behind us and I hope you have all been able to make the most of your weekend. I had a lovely quiet weekend (mostly) at home. 

On Good Friday  I unexpectedly went out with my friends. I have written about that in my previous post (Tuesday). Then I had a lazy Saturday at home apart from some last minute shopping as all the shops are closed on a Sunday. My lodger had his (Dutch) girlfriend over for the weekend and she wanted to see my new TV. I had some Dutch appeltaart left which I shared 



and they both sat down to look at this big screen and I played a nature documentary hosted and narrated by Barak Obama. They settled down and watched the whole episode! 

On Easter Sunday, I watched the morning service of our Bristol church live on YouTube. 



I was all set for a really lazy day. But I got an invitation from my lodger David and his girlfriend to come to dinner around three pm. His mum & dad (my friends David and Patricia) were there too and one of his brothers.

Easter Monday is a normal workday here, so on Monday I went to the gym and spent the rest of the morning sorting out tools in the garage. My hubby had multiple items of everything and they are spread around the cave and the house too. I'm trying to bring some order in the chaos. I have now all the plumbing stuff in one area and the electrical things and supplies in another area. Get my drift. It will take me all year I think to get this done. But Monday I did a lot and that is certainly worth a big smile.

Tuesdays is the day that Kim and Andy come. My friend Dian was supposed to come and help me 'powder' the chickens but she had an important errand so she couldn't come, but she did come for coffee later and ended up having dinner with us. I had cooked cannelloni.

I used quark and cottage cheese and fresh herbs for the filling.
I forgot to take a photo of the dish as it came out of the oven. I had covered it with a pasta sauce and sprinkled it with grated cheese. 

You will find the recipe at the end after the funnies.

I had bought a fly-screen door which had to be assembled after being cut to size. Andy cut it to size and even hammered the frame together.

On Wednesday there was a surprise waiting at the gym. One of the ladies had a birthday and she had brought treats and a bottle of (alcohol free) liquor.

This is the birthday girl and here are the home made treats:
I had just finished my oat porridge breakfast so I really didn't fancy any of that, but the other ladies happily tucked in.
A quick photo, and everybody is smiling.

I cooked a nice meal on that day: Bourbon Chicken. It sounded nice. Apparently it is very popular dish in the US so I'm not leaving the recipe as there are so many online.

It was absolutely delicious and this recipe is definitely going in my book.
Another smile.

Yesterday (Thursday) Andy had a doctor's appointment so they popped round again. He had said that if I managed to get the mesh on the door, he would hang it. So I had spent a lot of time on my knees on Wednesday pushing the mesh in the grooves. Very tiring hard work. But I managed it.


It fits perfectly and I'm very happy with it. Big smile!
There was a bead curtain before but it still let the flies in. Now they don't stand a chance! Thank you Andy!

Look what I found this morning when I went to collect the eggs?
A little diddy one! I don't know how that came about... But it made me smile.

And that is what this post is all about. I'm going to link up with Annie at A Stitch In Time. Please join us with things that made you smile this week.

Have a lovely weekend,
Keep smiling,Hugs,
Lisca









9 comments:

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Loving the postcard and the stamp especially. Pleased to see you had a good Easter with lots of friends for company too. It sounds like you have tools for ever possible job but it's good to get them organised so you know where they are when you need them. Great collection of funnies too. Hope your weekend is a happy one too. Sending hugs, Angela xXx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Thanks for asking about my mum. She has her moments but seems to be settling in and likes the carers there. She doesn't understand that there are people with even bigger problems than she has which is why they don't speak to her or stare at her. It makes her uncomfortable but I'm doing my best to reasure her. Wishing you a lovely weekend, Angela xxx

Annie said...

I can imagine many 'moments' of sadness for you Lisca but it's so good to hear of all your friends keeping you busy. You're very lucky to have lots making you smile...and that makes me smile too.
Hugs,
Annie x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I loved the postcard. I recognized the sticky buns, wontons, sushi, dumplings (also called dim sum), and what looks like oysters on the half shell. The rest I wasn't really sure about.

Nice you had a great Easter and time with friends who are keeping you busy. Getting all the tools organized will be a big chore, but it will be worth it in the end. Wow on that little egg.

Some great funnies, too, Lisca. Hope your weekend is joyful and relaxing.

LA Paylor said...

your food this week was so good! I love cannoloni and bourbon chicken and sweets,,.. I once replaced an entire screened porch, taking off the old netting, pushing new into that groove, replacing the slat because it was wood... it was wood but made me so happy

mamapez5 said...

You have had a busy week and so many lovely friends willing to help out when needed.I am sure the fly screen will prove invaluable.
I smiled at your egg collection. I used to talk about eggs to my children in nursery and I took a quails egg, one from a chicken, a duck and a ostrich, so they could see they were all the same inside. Then we made a cake with them all ixed together for our snack time.
I think you did not recognise my little church, but it is the same one you came to one Easter Sunday some years ago. before coming home with us for dinner. It is a very friendly, welcoming community. It is just a shame we all live in such distant places. Hope you have another busy week. I am sure they are better than ones with too much time on your hands. Kate x

Rostrose said...

Dear Lisca, I'm happy for you that you had many moments to smile - that's wonderful! Your descriptions sound like a good busy time - and a lot of good food. It all looks delicious, including the Chinese food on the postcard.
Have a good weekend 🌷☘️🌷!
All the best from Austria, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/04/costa-rica-10-kapitel-samara-delfine.html

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I left you a comment on Friday, but I see you either didn't get it or haven't published it. Frustrating because I was going to elaborate on the food in the postcard!

Anonymous said...

Well done on tackling all those tools! You're great at getting organised... and at making good friendships - thank you for sharing your smiles :-) K