Tuesday 3 January 2023

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 3 January 2023 - T for fairy tales

 Hello lovely ladies, Happy New Year to you all!

I am still in the Netherlands, spending some time with my mum and catching up on my sleep after the death of my dear husband. This new year is going to be very different for me. I am tentatively making plans for things I'd like to do. we'll see.

The postcard I'd like to show you today is also from the Netherlands, but from the southernmost part called Limburg. There is a small town called Valkenburg:

Apparently there is a Fairytale forest in Valkenburg.

I received this card from the Netherlands. The sender was on holiday with her husband and 3 small children and visited this Fairytale Forest.
Here are some Internet photos:

Fairytale Forest was built in 1951 by a Limburg businessman for his then 4-year-old daughter. There you can meet the countless fairytale characters for yourself, scattered in the 17 houses and castles in the leafy forest.

And this one is for Elizabeth who loves caroussel horses:

The stamps are fabulous:


The stamp on the left features the town of Goes. 


Goes is a city and municipality in the southwestern Netherlands on Zuid-Beveland, in the province of Zeeland. The city of Goes has approximately 27,000 residents.

The second stamp features a monkey. It is a (in the Netherlands) well known image from the reading board. It was a teaching aid used when my mother was a child.

This is what the reading board looks like::

The third stamp features a very famous Dutch artist: Vincent Van Gogh. 
I must admit that I don't know what the stamp on the right shows.

As I said, I am back in the country of my birth. And yesterday I had something typical Dutch for breakfast. The Dutch have chocolate sprinkles which they don't use on cakes, but they sprinkle it on bread and butter. The other day I had them on some rusks:

Mum lives in an apartment building and in the foyer there was a Christmas display:

I asked a friend to take a picture of me:

Opposite the elevator there was a decorated tree. Very festive!


It is tradition in our family to make a pink potato salad for New Year's Eve. It contained pulled beef, potatoes, gherkins, boiled eggs, mayonnaise and beetroot. This last ingredient gives it that pink colour.
I always cut the numbers out of slices of beetroot. It looks great and tastes fantastic.

 
Here I am with my lovely 98 year old mum:



I'm trying to find photos with a drink in it as today Elizabeth and Bleubeard are hosting T for Tuesday where we all feature a drink for the T-Party.

Here we are, I found one:
With a glass of bubbly in hand, wishing everyone a happy and above all healthy 2023!

Keep smiling!
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca












15 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Lisca, I enjoyed the visit to the fairy tale forest-how fun I am glad you have been able to spend time with your Mum.
I am not familiar with the beet root salad but sounds good. and I bought a jar of those chocolate sprinkles because they sounded perfect for my christmas cut out cookies on top of the frosting-had never seen them before-but they were online at a site I food shop often. Happy T wishes and new year-hugs Kathy

My name is Erika. said...

I bet that that fairy tale forest is a kids dream. We have a somewhat similar place here in my state, but it has been updated with lots of rides and it is called Storyland. And it is wonderful to see your mother. She looks great. This is the first Christmas without my mother and I missed seeing her. But thinking of her was a good thing and made me still feel she was there. I love the idea of chocolate sprinkles on toast. That is a good idea. Have a wonderful 2023 Lisca, and also of course a happy T day also. Enjoy your visit with your mom. hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

Your mother looks fabulous, and really seems to be enjoying your visit! The hotel buffets for breakfast during our trip to Holland in December often included little boxes of those sprinkles, but there was so much to choose from that I did not try them. Also, we did visit the southern area that’s shown on your map.

Have a good year in 2023 — I hope that your plans come to pass as you hope.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Carola Bartz said...

Your mom looks great, I can't believe she's 98 years old! How lovely that you could spend time together. I can imagine that this was a difficult New Year's for you. My husband loves those choclate sprinkles, he used to ride his bicycle from Aachen to Vaals and buy it there - is it called Schlaghagel or something like that? I wish you all the very best for 2023, Lisca.

Iris Flavia said...

Wow, that kid sure was spoiled! Very cool to see fairy tale characters "for real". Beautiful stamps indeed, but mind you. I think I saw those chocolate sprinklers here as well?
At least "Rumkugeln" have those on.
You look happy :-) I always hate it when people want to take a pic of me. Cam on me, I look dumb.
NIce foyer, really!
Your potato salad reminds me of our Labskaus, hmmm, yum!
Sweet pic of you two. To 2023 - happy T-Day, hugs

Valerie-Jael said...

I visited Valkenburg with a school class back in the 70s/80s, it was fun. Glad you have been able to spend time with your mum, who looks great. You are both very much alike! Happy T day, hugs, Valerie

Divers and Sundry said...

I've been having trouble with the "sign in with google" prompt to comment on your posts, but it worked today hoorah!

I never outgrew fairy tales, and I would love to visit a fairy tale forest. Fun!

Festive photos! Happy T Tuesday :)

jinxxxygirl said...

It must be lovely seeing your mum and spending time with her. The fairy tale forest sounds like an amazing place to visit, especially if you have some littles.. Happy New Year's T day Lisca! Hugs! deb

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous to spend time with your mum over the holidays and the foyer looks so festive too - perfect 😊. Happy New Year and wishing you a very Happy T Day too! Hugs Jo X

CJ Kennedy said...

I'd love to visit the fairy tale forest. So nice that you can spend the holidays with your mom. Lovely picture of you and the Christmas village and your mom with a glass of champagne. Happy T Day

Empire of the Cat said...

Wow your mum is 98, she looks amazing! My Dutch friend sent me a box of chocolate sprinkles one year and I wondered what she wanted me to do with them - put them on a cake maybe? - but now I see that she probably expected me to put them on bread! The fairytale forest looks like a great place to visit. I love those stamps and that reading board. Hope you get lots of sleep and feel refreshed, happy new year Lisca, Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

DVArtist said...

Nice cards and stamps. I am always so taken at how much you look like your mom. She looks wonderful for her age. That's how my Nan was too. She made it to 104 years. Yes, this year will be different for you. However, you are blessed to have a good group of people around you and your church. Always thinking of you.

Sharon Madson said...

You both look great Lisca. I loved seeing the Fairytale Forest photos. These stamps are interesting, too. I loved seeing and hearing about the reading board aid. Never heard of it before. I am thinking of you dear friend. Love the photo of you and your mom. So glad you have her to visit and be with. Great T Day post. Happy New Year.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Your Mother looks great, the glass of bubbly must be helping! I have seen people putting chocolate sprinkles on toast and bread - I love chocolate but not at breakfast - I don't like pain au chocolat either!
The post card and the stamps look wonderful! Happy New Year, hugs, Chrisx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Lisca, I'm late today as I have been for the Breast Screening today, just the usual check up then of course I was busy with puppies but peace at last as they are both sleeping but not sure how long it will last. I am so pleased you are looking at life in a positive way. I am sure your mum will have enjoyed having you around again. Loving the stamps but I guess you now I would. Wishing you a very happy day. Hugs, Angbela xXx