Friday 20 January 2023

A Postcard A Day - Friday 19 January 2023 - Friday Smiles


Hello lovely ladies,

Happy Friday to you all! 

Here in Spain the cold has arrived! And the card I have chosen reflects this cold weather:

This gorgeous card comes to me from Minsk in Belarus. The title of the card is ´Little Joy´ and in brackets: ´To feel warmly supported by a friend...´ Very sweet.

The stamp is impressive. 

You can see the latin name of the animal is Ovis Musimon. I looked it up and Wikipedia says this:
The European mouflon (Ovis aries musimon) is a feral subspecies of the primitive domestic sheep. It was originally found only on the Mediterranean islands of Corsica and Sardinia, but has since been introduced into many other regions of Europe. It is not to be confused with Ovis gmelini, also called the mouflon, which is found in Western Asia and is also ancestral to modern domestic sheep.

So, what has been happening with me? I have been inundated with paperwork, but I'm doing something every day and slowly, with the help of others, I'm getting there. (Big smile)
My friends came to visit earlier in the week, (Another bis smile but sorry, I forgot to take any pictures) and, amongst other things, we talked about televisions, as I want to buy a tv set. Our friend Andy has done a bit of homework and I have a few to choose from, so watch this space as they say.

Here in our village it's our patronal festival this weekend starting Friday and it will be very busy. I'm writing this on Thursday night but I can tell you what is going to happen:

One of the most celebrated saints in our area is San Sebastián, the young Roman military man who was riddled with arrows by his executioners until he became a kind of hedgehog. 

Such popularity is, without a doubt, a consequence of the fervor that Don Juan de Austria expressed for him during the campaign against the Moorish uprising of Aben-Humeya. But although there are many towns that celebrate it, there is none that surpasses Caniles in originality.


Caniles maintains, as the main attraction of its festivities, the tradition of the Robo del Santo during the procession. Several groups try to seize the raised cross that leads the parade, carried by one of the 'thieves' from the previous year. When someone manages to get hold of the cross, it is said that he has stolen the saint, making his group the winner of the contest. Those who win, in addition to taking charge of the cross until the end of the procession, must also bear the expenses of the following year's festivities.


Yesterday (Wednesday) I woke up to snowy mountains and it was very cold at 8 in the morning.



Then just before I went to the gym the sun shone in between the heavy clouds:

Here are the mountains again through the window at the gym:

I'll leave it at that. I'm going to link up with Annie at A Stitch In Time and share my smiles.
As per usual, I will put some funnies at the end.

Wishing everyone a lovely weekend,
Keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca




























10 comments:

  1. Hi Lisca, you find cool funnies-I love the postcard and the stamp is really special too I love it-always learn new things-are you going to the festival? the snow on the mountains looks pretty-happy friday and weekend hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to see the snow on the mountains, but I am glad I live well below the snow line.
    That is a lovely post card this week and a very impressive stamp.
    The festivals out here do have some odd traditions don't they, but i enjoy reading about them all.
    I hope you find the best TV for your needs.
    A couple of your funnies did raise a chuckle, but the gravestone is sadly a bit too near the bone for folk in UK this winter.
    That is my sort of triathlon, though I am busy this weekend preparing the house for our son't visit on Monday, now the workmen are done.
    Stay warm this week. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisca, loving the postcard this week. Pleased you have such good friends to help you too. There are some very thought provoking messages here today too. Wishing you a very happy weekend and good luck at choosing the TV too. Hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly no skiing planned again this year as Life has been too complicated and we've had to be around all the time for my mum and Covid obviously didn't help so it feels like some time before we will go again and I will need to concentrate on my fitness for sure as our club closed during Covid and has not opened again. I am doing plenty of walking with the dogs but it's not the same. Take care, hugs Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love seeing the Spanish carnivals....they know how to party.
    I loved your funnies especially the building with a zip...how clever.
    Hugs,
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice you´re doing so well.
    Hehe, an "F"!!! I´m in for the Triathlon that way...
    To a good weekend (cold here, too).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Town festivals are so fascinating in the way they embody the past and the present and are so compelling to the participants. I loved seeing your photos.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a beautiful postcard image. That one could be framed and used as a photo. And it was fascinating reading about your town's religious festival. We don't have them in my town, and it is fascinating how people come out and celebrate. Have a lovely weekend Lisca. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  9. I stopped by last night, but fell asleep at my computer. Hit my head on the keyboard and realized I needed sleep. Your postcard would make a great T day card. I think it is adorable and so is the postage stamp.

    The Spanish like their festivals, don't they? I suspect it was well attended again this year.

    That building is a fantastic mural, Lisca.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you've got some help to go through paperwork and that you are doing a little bit at a time. I hope you can decide on a TV to buy.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete