Friday 6 January 2023

A Postcard A Day - Friday 6 January 2023 - Friday Smiles

 Hello lovely ladies, 

Happy New Year!

This year is going to be interesting for me. I am single again. It's a strange notion. I am tentatively making plans... A train journey, a visit to Italy, perhaps buying a television.

Life is good and in spite of everything I have had many smiles this week. 

I'm still in Holland with my mum, but I have have some cards with me and I will show you a nice one today:


The Isle of Arran or simply Arran is an island off the west coast of Scotland. It is the largest island in the Firth of Clyde and the seventh-largest Scottish island, at 432 square kilometres (167 sq mi).

 Historically part of Buteshire, it is in the unitary council area of North Ayrshire. In the 2011 census it had a resident population of 4,629. Though culturally and physically similar to the Hebrides, it is separated from them by the Kintyre peninsula. 
Often referred to as "Scotland in Miniature", the island is divided into highland and lowland areas by the Highland Boundary Fault and has been described as a "geologist's paradise".

The stamp is impressive. I see a cyclist:
When I looked it up, I found it is part of a series, issued in 2022 commemorating the Commonwealth Games.The vivid images feature action illustrations of selected sports and para sports: Aquatics – Diving; Boxing; Para Table Tennis; Para Powerlifting; Gymnastics – Artistic; Cycling – Mountain Bike; Athletics; and Wheelchair Basketball 3x3
The stamps were issued on Thursday 28 July, the day the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games begins. The Games were held in the city and other locations across the West Midlands for the first time
The Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games features 19 sports and eight para sports, with 72 nations and territories coming together to compete in 280 medal events
The stamps were illustrated by artist Charis Tsevis. Royal Mail collaborated closely with Birmingham 2022 on all elements of the stamps and associated product range.

So, what have I been doing with myself...
On Tuesday I met up with a friend who lives in a different part of the Netherlands and we agreed we'd meet in the middle and we met in Utrecht, literally in the middle of the Netherlands.
We both came by train and met at the station, then we walked through a large shopping mall. 


But neither of us is really interested in shopping, so we found a nice place to have lunch. It was a pancake place. 
We started with lovely warm glühwein:
Lots of smiles as you can see.



This was my lunch:


Three pancakes with salmon. It was delicious. My friend had a bagel.
Then we walked through the old town and ended up at the music box museum. Which is great fun. We forgot to take many pictures.I only have this one of the street organ,
And this piece of music making furniture even has three violins:


The above photo is mine but here is an internet image where you can see better:





We enjoyed it. I had been before but I still enjoyed it.

That is it from me today. I'm going to link to Annie at A Stitch In Time and join in with Friday Smiles.
I am sorry that I don't have many funnies today. I have them all on my computer but as I'm not at home, you are getting what I have found tonight.

Have a lovely weekend,
Keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca













7 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Lisca, so glad you could travel and spend time with a friend. The museum sounds interesting to visit, loved the card and the stamps. I would be lost without a tv-sad to say. We don't get out much anymore so the tv is nice in evenings-I don't turn it on during the day time. I like watch sports too.
traveling sounds fun-My Mother after my Father had passed did allot of traveling all over the world with a friend. she even enjoy a few ship cruises.
Happy Friday and weekend Kathy

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is a generic copy and paste because I have so many I need to visit. I have been offline since early Tuesday morning. Not only did I lose internet and phone, I also lost heat and electricity. Thank goodness for extra blankets, layering, and two very warm fur babies. Just wanted you to know why you haven't heard from me. I was actually in the process of leaving you a comment when the lights, internet, and everything went black. So glad you get to spend so much time with your mother. Thanks for a great T Tuesday, dear Lisca.

Iris Flavia said...

Great you had fun times. I think I have a Glühwein now - it´s still the weather for it. To smiles...

Virginia said...

Oh how lovely to meet up with a friend, your lunch looks delicious and I'm glad you found something more interesting than the shopping centre to wander around the museum looks brilliant. I'm glad you are making plans for your year ahead. Biggest hugs

mamapez5 said...

Dear Lisca, I am so glad you are getting out and enjoying yourself. And you are making plans too so that is good.
Your glühwein looks good. It reminds me of the 'glop' I had when visiting my son in Denmark.
That Quality Street tin made me smile. I can remember when they were that size and design, and that is exactly what our was used for all year! Kate x

Annie said...

Good to hear you're making plans for the future....it will take time to adjust I'm sure but yo will get there.
Hugs,
Annie x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I thought l left this on your T Tuesday blog post. That museum must have been incredible. When I first got a TV, I was mesmerized. Of course, I was working and going to school at the time, so only saw it on the weekends. Have a super weekend, dear Lisca.