Tuesday 17 January 2023

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 17 January 2023 - T for Denmark and palm trees

 Hello lovely ladies, (and the occasional gent),

Days are flying by and it is Monday night already. Today's postcard is from a location that I myself have visited:


Stevns Klint, known as the Cliffs of Stevns in English, is a white chalk cliff located some 6 km (3.7 mi) southeast of Store Heddinge on the Danish island of Zealand. Stretching 17 km (11 mi) along the coast, it is of geological importance as one of the best exposed Cretaceous-Tertiary (K/T) boundaries in the world.

The lower strata from the cliff are from the Cretaceous and are composed of soft chalk, indicating a relatively deep marine depositional environment. The dark layer of fiskeler, mainly five to ten centimeters thick, clearly marks the Cretaceous–Paleogene boundary. The fiskeler is enriched in iridium, a fact used as an argument for the Alvarez hypothesis that the worldwide Cretaceous–Paleogene mass extinction was caused by the impact of an asteroid. Following the boundary is a layer of darker clay and chalk between 10 and 30 cm thick, corresponding to a period of low biological diversity on the sea floor immediately after the K-Pg Boundary. The layers can also be seen deep in the tunnels of Stevnsfortet, a cold-war fortress constructed in 1953. 

The upper layers of the cliff consist of bryozoa chalk and were deposited during the early Paleogene. The bryozoa chalkin the cliff is highly shock resistant to both conventional and nuclear weapons.

 Subject to frequent erosion, the cliff rises to a height of up to 40 m (130 ft). Because of its exceptional fossil record, Stevens Klint was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2014.




In 2008 Cold War Museum Stevns Fortress opened to the public. It features a large exhibition of military equipment and a 1.5-hour guided tour in the large underground system of the fortress. 
Stevnsfort was a secret part of the defense of Denmark and NATO. The peninsula of Stevns would have been on the absolute frontline if war had broken out between the East and the West. This is why Stevnsfort was built, and for 40 years, the staff here was ready for war around the clock.


The underground system of the fortress features 1.6 kilometres (0.99 mi) of tunnels, living quarters and command centers, including a hospital and a chapel. There are also two ammunition depots for its two 15 centimetres (5.9 in) cannons


The tunnels are 18–20 metres (59–66 ft) below the surface, dug deep into the chalk of Stevns. The top-secret fortress was built in 1953 and remained operational until 2000.

It was really interesting to visit the Cold War Museum as my husband used to be in the military during the Cold War. He recognised weapons he had worked with.

Nearby is the Højerup old church. The church was built in Romanesque style in the year 1250.


The church was built by a sailor in distress who promised to build a chapel if he was saved.
The church is located on the 30 m. high cliff. It was consecrated in 1357 , but the sea undermined the cliff. In the 1600s the cliff started to chip away at the cemetery with the macabre result coffins and skeletons started sticking out of the cliff. In 1910 they gave up to use the church, it would take another 18 years before fate caught up to the building.
On 16 March 1928 at five o'clock in the morning there was a cliff collapses at Højerup. It took the choir from Højerup old Church into the fall.
  Quite soon after the crash, it was decided to reinforce the church against further slides. Today the towering church stands proudly at the extreme edge of the cliff, and it vanished choir has been replaced by an observation deck that provides a great view of the cliff and sea.

I was going to show you our photos from when we were there but I can't find them so all the photos here are from the Internet.


The stamp is very pretty. It is from a series of stamps about astronomy in Denmark.


As today is T for Tuesday, hosted by Elizabeth and Bluebeard, I shall add a photo of a drink. So here is my glass of white wine that I had the other day when I cooked a slice of salmon.


The following photos I took specially for Elizabeth, because she likes palm trees. This is my sisters garden from the first floor:

I was standing on the terrace outside my room.

The garden is being maintained by a gardener and my sister doesn’t know the names of the shrubs and trees that grow there.

But I think her garden is beautiful and mature.

She even has a hammock, but it was not warm enough to lie in it.

I think this remarkable round splaying shrub is also a palm tree, but a short one.

That is it from me today. Sorry if it was rather long. We’ll done if you got this far.

Bye for now,
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca



14 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Lisca, Your posts are always so informative-love that as I learn new things. The first postcard looks like an amazing place to see in person. the museum was interesting and I Love your sisters garden-a wonderful place to just enjoy being in it. and I would love some salmon-haven't been able to find any wild caught salmon in the stores in a long time.
Happy T hugs Kathy

My name is Erika. said...

I loved reading about these cliffs and the church. But I particularly loved reading about the K/T boundary . I know about this boundary but not about these cliffs so it is fun to put the 2 together. I know you studied geology, and I think it's really interesting (as I only took 1 class in that subject which was when I was teaching and all done with college.) And your sister has a gorgeous garden. I can't image having palm trees, or especially all the green in January. It has just been very grey here. Have a great T day and week ahead Lisca. hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

I learned a lot about the Danish island from your description, and really appreciate your thoroughness. I had read about Mary Anning and her realization of the meaning of bones in similar cliffs in at Lyme Regis in Southwest England. Fascinating!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you for the history lesson!
Do you know the docu-series "Lost Places"? Love that.

Oh, your sister´s place has a pool, very nice - happy T-Day

Darla said...

Thanks for all the information about the cliffs and the military installation. I believe there are many kinds of installations we know nothing about. Your sister's garden is beautiful. We have a few palm trees at the river house including one that looks vry similar to the short squatty onle you showed us.

Valerie-Jael said...

Ha, I got here! I wouldn't like to visit that museum, it looks scary. I don't like underground places. Love your sister's garden and your meal looks divine. Hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

The postcard and Cold Warm Museum were so interesting. Life at the museum looks a lot like life onboard a submarine. The astronomy observatory stamp is very, cool, too. Your sister's garden is so beautiful and lush. I don't know a lot of names for plants. So if someone asks me what's that? I'm apt to reply, It's green. 😺Happy T Day

Carola Bartz said...

I don't know Stevn Klint, but it sounds like a beautiful and fascinating place. The Cold War Museum sure is an interesting place to visit, but also scary. I think Denmark has quite some underground bunkers and places where people could go to in the case of war; someone told me about that a while ago and of course, I am not sure that this is true. But after I have read your post I easily believe that it can be true.

Let's Art Journal said...

Such interesting postcards and information. I'm loving your salmon, that's one of my favourites 😊. Your sisters garden looks so beautiful with all the plants and greenery - gorgeous! Happy T Day wishes! Hugs Jo x

Sharon Madson said...

Hi, Lisca. Your fortress visit was very interesting. Pretty neat you got a postcard of a place you had actually visited. I really like that round splaying shrub and is interesting that it is a type of palm tree. Your sister has a lovely view and garden. Happy T Day. Hugs.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was in awe of the cliffs and that church that was saved. It is a beautiful area, too. That was a lovely stamp and a great postcard. I really enjoyed the underground Cold War Museum. It seems it might be needed again the way the world is shaping right now.

Wow. I LOVE your sister's garden. She has a LOT of palms, succulents, and even banana trees. I am in total awe!!!

Your salmon looks good and I see you are drinking wine. Thanks for sharing it, the postcard, the museum, the church, and your sister's amazing garden with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.

nwilliams6 said...

Wow, I can just see bodies and skeletons sticking out - I know that was super creepy and scary!!!! Lovely pictures of your Sister's garden - it is so lovely there. The salmon looks fabulous. Happy T-day and giant hugz to you. Thanks for this lovely post!

Kate Yetter said...

Those are some gorgeous cliffs. So much texture.
Your sister's garden is lovely. What an oasis! I love the palm trees and the hammock.
We love salmon too! A delicious and healthy meal.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Empire of the Cat said...

It would be lovely to have a pool (heated of course) your sister's garden looks very lush and green. I'm very late to the party. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx