Tuesday 20 December 2022

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 20 December 2022 - T for Konotop and a cave house

 Hello lovely ladies,

It's nearly Christmas. I'll be getting on a plane in a few days to celebrate with my mum in Holland. The shops are laden with goodies and even I (we don't do presents) have got a few gifts in my suitcase. 

I can't help thinking of the people in the Ukraine. My postcard today comes from Ukraine:

The card was sent by Inna, who lives in a small town called Konotop. She writes: "I like reading, traveling and I collect porcelain dolls, but...Russian army invaded in to Ukraine. We need support of the whole civilized world now so much."

The stamps are impressive:

The Order of Danylo Halytsky (Ukrainian: Орден Данила Галицькогоis an award of UkraineThe Order was instituted on February 202003by the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine to honour the military men of the Armed Forces of Ukraine and other military formations created in compliance with the laws of Ukraineas well as public servants for significant personal contribution in building of Ukrainethorough and faultless service to the Ukrainian people.



Danylo Romanovych is one of the greatest and most famous rulers of the ancient Ukrainian state Kievan Rus. He was an excellent strategist, diplomat, military leader and great state builder and together with his brother, Prince Vasylko, succeeded to keep the state, coping with the Mongol invasion and defending it against the attacks of the western neighbors. King Danylo created a state that extended from the present territory of Poland to Kyiv and the Black Sea coast.

More info on this amazing king (that I had never heard of) here




The card was sent to me by Inna who lives in the small town of Konotop:

Some photos of Konotop:



Counterclockwise (from upper right): Shukhiv Tower, Myr Cinema, Ascension Cathedral, Konotop City Council Building, Monument of Horse, Konotop railway station and tram.

Wikipedia writes:

On February 25, 2022, during the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine, the city was reported to be under siege by Russian forces on their way to Kyiv. Ukraine later stated that it had lost control of the city. The mayor Artem Seminikhin stated on 2 March that Russian troops who had entered the city had warned him that they would destroy the city if the residents resisted them. An agreement was reached under which Russian forces accepted not to change the city's government or deploy troops, in return for which the residents would not attack them. On 3 April, Ukrainian MP Olexander Kachura stated on Twitter that all Russian forces had left Konotop Raion. On 4 April 2022 Sumy Oblast's Governor Dmytro Zhyvytskyi stated that Russian troops no longer occupied any towns or villages in Sumy Oblast and had mostly withdrawn, while Ukrainian troops were working to push out the remaining units.

The card was posted on the 29th of June 22.

Now for a bit of fun: I was invited to dinner with friends the other day. The hostess and her husband are English so she cooked an English dish (pork casserole with dumplings) and managed to obtain some crackers to make it christmassy.

Of course we had to explain the concept of crackers to the Spaniards, and the fact that they were supposed to don the 'hat' and read out the lame joke out loud.

Our friends live in a cave house and their kitchen is gorgeous!

Of course Blogger put my photos in the wrong order, but here we are pulling the crackers:

Today is T-Day and I need a drink to qualify. Well, I think I spot a can of beer on the table.

Another photo of the lovely kitchen:




That is it from me today. 

I wish you all a very happy Christmas and a 2023 in health and peace.
Hugs,
Lisca







17 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

That is a really lovely kitchen, and it looks like you had a fun English celebration. We can now find crackers here in the US, and we have done them before. It's pretty fun to break them. And my heart breaks for the poor people of Ukraine. Hopefully they will find peace in 2023 and get to do some rebuilding. And I hope you have a wonderful trip and visit with your Mom for the holidays. Merry Christmas and happy new year Lisca. hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Lisca, what a lovely home-loving her kitchen. The food sounds delicious. I always enjoy reading the history behind your postcards too. Enjoy your Christmas with your Mum-hugs Happy T

Mae Travels said...

Thoughts of the Ukrainian suffering at the hands of the Russians is becoming more and more unbearable. I hope that the US commitment to at least supply better weapons will not be disabled by some of our terrible politicians. Your description of the town is very fascinating.

The underground kitchen in your photos is really great -- thanks for sharing it. Have a great trip to visit your mother, and enjoy your Christmas.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely post, Lisca. The tragody in Ukraine goes on and on, those poor people are suffering so much. Love your friend's kitchen, and glad you had a fun Christmas party with all the trimmngs. Enjoy your time in Holland with your mother. Hugs, valerie

nwilliams6 said...

Oh my gosh, I love that kitchen. Love she lives in a house like this. Wow. Such a fun event too. Love your stamps and postcards and interesting facts. Merry Christmas and safe travels. Happy T-day too. GIANT hugz

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a stunning postcard. Just beautiful. I feel so sad for Ukrainians. They have suffered at the hands of Putin for too long. I always love that you share the postage stamps and their history, too.

That's a lovely kitchen. I would hate to have to keep it clean, though. I bet she has to clean everything at least once a week. Still, it is beautiful.

Enjoyed seeing everyone opening a Christmas cracker. I bet that was strange for those who had never seen or heard of them before.

In addition to the can of beer, I saw wine and wine glasses, as well as water glasses filled with ice on the table. Thanks for sharing your lovely Christmas meal with friends, your postcard, the crackers, and your friend's kitchen with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca. Enjoy your time away with your mother.

BTW, Doc Martin is NOT on Netflix. It is on Acorn, another streaming pay channel.

DVArtist said...

First safe travels to you. I know your mum will be happy to see you. This is such a fun time. I find it interesting that you had to explain crackers. Ohhh that kitchen is to live for. Have a very happy Christmas.

Empire of the Cat said...

I hope you have a lovely time in Holland with your mum Lisca, have a safe journey. That kitchen is lovely, I have friends who live underground in a cave house in Australia. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

Carola Bartz said...

I'm glad that you will spend Christmas with your mom in Holland. I share your feelings about Ukraine, it saddens me so much what is happening to the Ukrainians and I feel so helpless. I truly hope that there will be peace next year. - That is a lovely kitchen! I once stayed in a cave hotel in Turkey, it was fascinating, but I am not sure that I would actually like to live in one. But that kitchen - so lovely. And you had a great get together - I remember those Christmas crackers from several Christmas celebrations in London. Have a peaceful Christmas, Lisca.

Iris Flavia said...

Nice you had such a good time. Yes, Ukraine.- how long will this go on.
I´m wishing you a lovely time with your Mum.

jinxxxygirl said...

Nice to spend Christmas with your Mom and the gathering of friends looks nice too.. A cave home is just fascinating.. must stay wonderfully cool and warm when you need it to. Happy T day and Merry Christmas! Hugs! deb

Let's Art Journal said...

It looks like you had a lovely Christmas celebration with your friends and wow, that stew and dumplings look good 😊. The cave kitchen is amazing and so pretty too. So lovely to be spending Christmas in Holland with your mum this year - enjoy! Happy T Day wishes and Happy Holidays! Hugs Jo x

Kate Yetter said...

So glad that you will be with your Mum for Christmas. I loved seeing the pictures of your friend's beautiful cave kitchen. My son in in his second year of Spanish and I was showing him your house.
Loved seeing the picture of the crackers. We will be studying British Christmas traditions this week on one of our advent days and I am planning on making Christmas crackers.
Have a blessed Christmas with your family.
Kate

Sharon Madson said...

What a lovely post. It is wonderful that you can be with your mum for Christmas. I am sorry for your loss of dear Graham. I haven't been around for about a month or longer, but last week I talked to Elizabeth, and she told me. I went back and read some of your last posts. Please accept my heartfelt condolences. I love your friend's cave house and kitchen. Thanks for posting, Lisca.

CJ Kennedy said...

That will be so nice to spend Christmas with your mom. The party looks like it was lots of fun. That kitchen looks so beautiful and festive. Happy T Day. Safe travels and a Merry Christmas

pearshapedcrafting said...

I do hope that this publishes- I haven't got this far making comments for a while. I was so sorry to read of your hubby's passing. It's great to know that you have had such good support from friends and family. Your friend's cave kitchen ls lovely . Enjoy your time with your Mum, hugs Chrisx- now hoping this doesn't disappear!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Lisca, I hope you and your mum have a nice Christmas she is going to be so pleased to see you. We're off to my mum's tomorrow to give her a Christmas dinner and yes we have crackers obviously! I had never really thought about it before but the French don't have crackers either. From my reseach I've found that they were invented by a pastry chef Tom Smith 1847 in London. Aparently he put Bon Bons and a motto into a twisted paper package and it just went from there. Take care and have a lovely time. Hugs, Angela xxx