Tuesday 6 September 2022

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 6 September 2022 - T for a dance and a Giving Tree

 

Hello lovely ladies,

We are still on our travels. In fact today we are in a village called Clutton, near Bristol. We are staying with our eldest son and his family. A bit further down I will post some photos of Clutton.

But first my postcard this Tuesday:

A fun postcard that comes to me from the USA. It is entitled "Gotta Dance". (Underwood Archives).

The stamps are beautiful:
There is that gorgeous rabbit and some lush strawberries. And then there is a stamp depicting 'The Giving Tree', a children's book written by Shel Silverstein.

The Giving Tree is an American children's picture book written and illustrated by Shel Silverstein. First published in 1964 by Harper & Row, it has become one of Silverstein's best-known titles, and has been translated into numerous languages.



This book has been described as "one of the most divisive books in children's literature"; the controversy stems from whether the relationship between the main characters (a boy and the eponymous tree) should be interpreted as positive (i.e., the tree gives the boy selfless love) or negative (i.e., the boy and the tree have an abusive relationship).



Sheldon Allan Silverstein  (September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999) was an American writer, poet, cartoonist, songwriter, and playwright. Born and raised in Chicago, Illinois, Silverstein briefly attended university before being drafted into the United States Army. Though he is perhaps best known for his children's books.



As a children's author, some of his most acclaimed works include The Giving TreeWhere the Sidewalk Ends, and A Light in the Attic. 

His works have been translated into more than 47 languages and have sold more than 20 million copies.
 As a songwriter, Silverstein wrote the 1969 Johnny Cash track "A Boy Named Sue", which peaked at number 2 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100. (Link to lyrics)

Now as this blogpost is going to be linked with Elizabeth and Bleubeard's T for Tuesday, here is a drink reference:

The drink looks like hot chocolate to me. It reads: Good Morning! Dreams of roses and poems.
You might wonder what the above photo is… it’s a van that sells fish and chips!
So we got some and ate it in the caravan. It was delicious! I had a glass of wine with that ( white) and we each had a portion of the traditional mushy peas.

The weather in Britain is awful. From Thursday onwards it hasn’t stopped raining:





That is it from me today. I will leave you with an aerial photo for all you cat lovers out there. It is an island off Sardinia. Isn't it beautiful!

(I don't know if it's photoshopped. I found it on the Internet)

That is all for now.
Happy T-Day all and 
Keep smiling!
Hugs,
Lisca








11 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

that last photo is amazing-wonder if it is photoshopped or not. I just recently picked up those giving tree stamps, haven't seen those strawberry stamps yet. yum you fish looks yummy enjoy your travels and seeing family-hugs

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've been unable to leave a comment. I keep getting "failed to publish."

What a fun postcard. The woman looks familiar to me, like she may have been a movie star. Cute stamps, too.

Sorry you've had so much rain on your holiday. Your fish looks delicious. And mushy peas, too! Thanks for sharing your coffee, postcard, and fish and chips with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca. I am giving up if this doesn't publish now that I've waited until the next day.



Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Yea!!!

nwilliams6 said...

Wow - I never knew there was a controversy over the Giving Tree. I just thought it was a sweet story of a selfless love and unappreciation by the recepient - a lesson to not take too much and to appreciate what is given more. I am going to have to rethink it. Beautiful stamps.

Your trip looks fun - I would so go that food truck and how adventurous to be doing your trip in a caravan. Hope you are having loads of fun even in the heat.

Happy T-day and hugz

Mae Travels said...

Shel Silverstein's books were very popular for a long time. I guess that's why he gets a stamp of his own!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

jinxxxygirl said...

That cat photo is amazing.. I wonder if it is real? And fish and chips LOVE!!! Rain ... never complain about the rain.. I have never lived in a place that i could complain about the rain... drought seems to follow me.. Happy T day! Hugs! deb

Valerie-Jael said...

The cat photo is wonderful, but what really got me was the fish and chip van - perfect. I so miss real fish and chips here, but I'm not a fan of the mushy peas! You really got a lot of rain, and we still haven't had a single drop here. Happy T Tuesday with white wine! Hugs, Valerie

Divers and Sundry said...

I remember when that book came out and how sweet I thought it was then. My view has changed drastically through the years since, and now I'm in the abusive relationship camp. It can make for interesting discussions.

You can't beat a food truck, though around here they don't usually offer fish. That'd be a treat :) We've been getting some rain but nothing like yours. Wow!

Happy T Tuesday

CJ Kennedy said...

Fabulous stamps. My weather is matching yours. It's been raining since Monday and will continue today and Wednesday, too. We've been in a drought so the rain is very much needed. Fish and chips sounds delicious for a day like today. I've never had mushy peas so not sure what to think about them. Great photo of your Hubby. The cat island looks like a wonderful place. Happy T Day

Empire of the Cat said...

I'm sorry about the weather, it's so wet here it must be quite a shock for you coming from all that sunshine. I hope you brought a jumper with you as I feel it's cold too. Love the chip van, chips are very popular, and I used to love fish and chips, so did my cat lol.I don't like mushy peas though, very English thing to have with fish and chips, I'd rather have a big pickled onion! Hope you're enjoying your trip so far! Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

Sharon Madson said...

We sure could use some of that rain! Dry, dry & hot here. Your food looks good. I love the Gotta Dance postcard. Happy T Day wherever you are!