Friday 16 September 2022

A Postcard A Day - Friday 16 September - Friday Smiles

 Hello lovely ladies,

I'm so sorry that I sent out a scheduled blogpost last Friday. We were on the ferry. There is no internet on the ferry except an expensive satellite connection.

 My condolences to all you Brits. Queen Elizabeth has been a constant in many of our lives. As a small child I walked in the parade at her coronation (with an orange sash, being Dutch). She will be missed.

We were still in England when we heard on the news that the family were traveling to Balmoral. So we knew the situation was serious. We boarded the ferry without any news. The ferry sailed at 7:30 and we were watching Portsmouth harbour from our cabin window. Hubby likes to watch all the navel ships (Portsmouth being a major naval port) and all of a sudden we noticed that the union jacks on the ships were half mast! Then we realized that the dear queen had passed. 

So of course my postcard for today will feature this amazing lady:

Here is Her Majesty the Queen with HRH The Duke of Edinburgh during a tour of the United States, Washington, October 1957. 
The card was issued in a series of cards celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee.

The ferry journey back to Spain lasted two nights and it was a smooth sail. The weather in the UK had been awful the last week and we were worried about hubby getting seasick. But it was plain sailing as they say. 
Brittany Ferries cancelled all entertainment as a sign of respect. And this is what the screens looked like:



The stamps on the postcard also feature the Queen of course. I suppose all the stamps (and the bank notes) will have to change soon.

The plaque says that the ship was built in China in 2020. Although the ship was beautiful I'm glad I didn't actually read the plaque until I saw the photo. Things that are made in China are not known for their quality...
Me and hubby on board:

The last photo is one of the ferry when we were waiting in the queue:



The first week in England we were staying in a pub in Ringwood. The idea was to see the grandchildren who were camping in the New Forest over the Bank Holiday weekend. Here is hubby playing billiards with the grandchildren. There is only one in the photo but they were all there (seven of them) and it was great fun.

The youngest didn't quite appreciate the game and had other ideas:

It usually rains during the August Bank Holiday, but the weather held.
Sorry, I couldn't resist a Bank Holiday joke.
I have a few more funnies which I will show you at the end.




So I will say: Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca



























7 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

To the Queen, she was some wonderful and also funny lady!
Yes, made in Germany is a sign of quality, China.... not so much!
Glad you came to land safely ;-)
Fun family pics.

I need a chicken hat! And a bow tie.
Beautiful, sad headstone.
Happy weekend!

Annie said...

So lovely to see you enjoying family time. I love the funnies too.
Hugs,
Annie x

mamapez5 said...

Glad you got back safely Lisca. I would have been seasick for certain. *I used to live in Bournemouth and couldn-t even do the boat from B. pier to the Isle of Wight, so two night on board would have finished me off. It must have been a long journey for you with no entertainment.
There have been some wonderful crocheted toppers for post boxes etc. I am not convinced it is the best use of so much yarn though.
Some good funnies but I have to say I have a dog who will eat anything including medecines. (He does like a bit of peanut butter on his pills though). Kate x

Iris Flavia said...

P.S. the T-Shirt I got is to come on Wednesday for Tom´s Signs2!
With a bag, too! And a sign, of course ;-)

Mae Travels said...

That looks like a fantastic way to travel -- a long ferry boat trip on calm seas. Best to have calm seas!

Looking forward to more post cards... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Mae Travels said...

Also, I liked the post about the Luncheon of the BOating party

Celtic house said...

I realised you too had scheduled your post like me and it wasn't the first thing that came to mind when the news broke if I'm honest. I'm glad your journey back was good and apologies for the British weather it was never been reliable