Tuesday 26 July 2022

A Postcard a Day - Tuesday 26 July 2022 - T for Mistaken Point, red wine and good food

 Hello lovely ladies, Here we are again at the Tuesday T-Party hosted by Elizabeth and Bluebeard. I'm looking forward to the reveal of the 9th anniversary ATCs and perhaps also the napkins. 

Of course for the T-Party we all post a drink. I will bring my drink in later but first, let me show you my postcard of the day:

It comes to me from Canada. Sent by Suzanne and Martin. The postcard shows the Mistaken Point Ecological Reserve. 
Mistaken Point Ecological Reserve is a wilderness area and a UNESCO World Heritage Site located at the southeastern tip of Newfoundland's Avalon Peninsula in the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador.


Mistaken Point-named for the navigational hazard it poses at the often-foggy southeastern tip of Newfoundland’s Avalon Peninsula-is one of the world’s most significant fossil sites.
Normally, when marine animals die, only bones, shells, and other hard parts are preserved as fossils. The soft-bodied creatures at Mistaken Point lived millions of years before animals developed skeletons, but the imprints of their soft tissues were preserved in place on the muddy sea floor when they were suddenly buried by repeated influxes of volcanic ash-rich sediment. The volcanic ash layers contain crystals of the mineral zircon, which enable geologists to accurately date them. Ediacaran fossils also occur in Russia, Australia, China and Namibia, but the age, abundance and variety of those found at Mistaken Point make the site unique.


The fossil beds of Mistaken Point were known to local hunters and residents of nearby communities in the 20th century. Children playing on the exposed beds would comment on the ‘flowers in the rocks’. Their significance was not understood until one day in 1967, when Shiva Balak Misra, with his field assistant Paul Thompson, were mapping Precambrian rocks along the coastline, discovered the fossil beds and realized their enormous significance. This was the first record of an Ediacara-type fauna from the Western Hemisphere.
The stamp shows the same scene as the front of the card:



We've had a lovely week with Tracey, hubby's daughter staying with us (on her own, without the children). She came to give him moral support and to pray over him, which she did together with me and my two prayer partners. We are very grateful for this time with her. She is leaving this afternoon (Tuesday). Here she is in her little Fiat hire car:
Of course I cooked some nice meals. Here is 'fish en papillote' which I have shared with you before:
It is in effect white fish (cod) cooked (in the oven) with spiralized butternut squash in a parcel of cooking parchment. And of course a nice cold glass of white wine to bring into the T-Party.
We went to our little cave house out in the country. Tracey took this photo of hubby and I reading in the shade of a tree.
Our cave house is higher in altitude (well above 3000ft) and of course it was a bit cooler. Here is hubby in the morning cool in his dressing gown.


I also cooked some pork ribs. Perhaps these are baby ribs. I don't know the difference. I first cooked them in the Instant Pot, then I smothered it in BBQ sauce and, wrapped in plastic, left it overnight in the fridge. When we ready to eat it the next day, I just heated it up under the grill. It was really yummy. We like our ribs to be 'fall-off-the-bone' tender. And they really were. It was just enough for the three of us.

Of course meat calls for red wine. Here we drink Ribera del Duero. (I don't like Rioja). Ribera del Duero is a Spanish Denominación de Origen Protegida (DOP) located in the country's northern plateau and is one of eleven 'quality wine' regions within the autonomous community of Castile and León.It is also one of several recognised wine-producing regions to be found along the course of the Duero river.
Note: we don't live anywhere near there.  We live in the south. Let me show you the Granada province:
We live in the top bit of the red.

One more meal was my stand-by Annabel's pasta. It is a Mary Berry recipe from 30 years ago. Something she taught her daughter Annabel to cook when she went to university (it's cheap and easy).

 I shared the recipe a few Fridays ago but here it is again:
(I actually used Panko crumbs.)

What else is there to report. Ah, I have treated myself to a new Kindle e-reader. My old one was starting to show signs of 'dementia', i.e. doing crazy things. So I got myself another one.


Then of course I wanted a cover for it:
Isn't it a cute cover? 

I would have had one with a turtle on it but they didn't do those....

Any other news? Hubby has an appointment tomorrow morning (Tuesday) to have a line fitted for more chemo therapy. I will tell you about that next week.

Tonight (Monday evening) Tracey and I will be joining a group of locals on a night walk in the country to look at the stars. It will be between 8 and 9 km. The sky is fairly unpolluted with light as we live in a small village, so it should be spectacular. Again I will tall you about it next week.

That is all from me. 
Happy T-Day,
Keep smiling!
Hugs,
Lisca 
















 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Lisca, lots of good foods in this post. we like our baby back ribs fall off the bone too. wonderful your husbands' daughter was able to spend time with you both. that first postcard's history was very interesting.
    a year or so ago I needed to buy a new kindle too-I was disappointed that my expensive voyage quit on me after just a few years, and also amazon no longer supported it. so I bought a much less expensive one this time, and sadly my cover did not fit the new one-I think they do that on purpose haha Love your cover.
    Happy T hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. A night walk sounds lovely. I remember a few night walks in the deert, they were simply amazing. The night sky in those unpolluted by light areas is spectacular. How wonderful that your husband's daughter could spend time with you. I hope everything goes well at his appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear that your step-daughter was able to give you support as you face the new situation, and I hope you’ll be lucky with all the future events.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So wonderful Tracey was able to visit and spend time with you and her father. Love that pic of you and hubby under the tree in the shade:). And of course, you always share yummy food and drink. The fish en papillote is my fave! Must say, my hubby and I have not yet discovered a Rioja we like ;)
    Adorable kindle cover:). Wishing all the best with hubby's appointment. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the fossil info, I used to collect them as a kid. My dad brought them home from work. Nice to get a visit from Tracey, and all your food and family photos look good and happy. Hope your hubby's appointment goes well. Happy T Day Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you are doing well aka, the best you can.
    That night walk sounds very tempting. Here we have way too much light-pollution, sadly.
    Have a happy T-Day and best wishes for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the postcard and learning about the skeletons. Nice the stamp matched, too.

    So glad Tracey was able to spend time with the two of you. I'm sure it lifted Graham's spirits, too. I enjoyed "meeting" her, and I want that Fiat. Just my size.

    You did a lot of cooking this week, and my favorite was the fish, since I don't eat ribs. It seems you cook no matter what. Mary Berry's recipe doesn't sound easy OR cheap to me. Lots of ingredients to buy and since I don't have hens, eggs are out of sight expensive here.

    Thanks for sharing your postcard, your visit with Tracey, your delicious looking meals, and your various wines with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca. Graham is in my thoughts for a good outcome today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely postcard Lisca! And those fossils were amazing.. Imagine just stumbling across those... You cooked way more than me.. Although i may not be able to say that soon as hubby and i have sworn off eating out for the month of August.. um.. yeah.. we'll see how that goes.. I told hubby expect alot of 'moo food' aka salad..lol He's not a fan.. Wishing you and your hubby all the best . Glad his daughter got to spend time with him.. I'm sure that did raises his spirits. You night walk sound fabulous.. Looking forward to hearing about it.. Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete