Tuesday 19 July 2022

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 19 July 2022 - T for volcanoes

 Hello lovely ladies. Today is T-Day, but it is also the day that hubby should have had his operation.   Friday afternoon we got a telephone call from the hospital saying that the operation has been cancelled. The tumor has been deemed inoperable! That was a blow! We are now seeing the oncologist on Thursday to see where we go from here. We were both disappointed as hubby had pinned all his hope on this operation. I, being a nurse, knew this was a possibility of course, but I was hoping for a good outcome. We both have a strong faith and we have each other. So we will make it through together.

My postcards for today are both volcanoes. The first one comes from Russia and features two volcanoes in the Kamchatka area:

It was sent to me by Anna, who lives in Zelenograd, which means Green City. It is in the greater Moscow area, 20 km from Moscow center.

Kamchatka is a peninsula in the far east of Russia:

On this map the peninsula is bottom left. 

An interesting anecdote I found:
On 21 May 1865, the American Civil War came to the area: the Confederate States Navy steamer Shenandoah sailed past the southern end of the Kamchatka Peninsula on its way to hunt United States whaling ships in the Sea of Okhotsk. As a commerce raider, the CSS Shenandoah aimed to destroy Union merchant shipping and thus draw off United States Navy ships in pursuit, thereby loosening the US Navy blockade of Confederate coasts. The ship spent almost three weeks in the Sea, destroying only one ship due to the dangerous ice, before moving on to the North Pacific, where it virtually captured or bonded 24 whalers, sinking most of them.

The mountain on the left of the postcard is called Klyuchevskaya Sopka, and on the right is Kamen (which means 'stone'). 

The stamps are very pretty and feature fruit. You can tell by the cancellation stamp that it was posted last year. I know, but I wanted to pair this postcard with the other volcano I have lined up.
The top-right stamp has Bogatyr apples on it. 'Bogatyr' is a group of apple cultivars that ripen in late fall or early winter with a strong acid taste that have been popular in Russia .

This second postcard of course shows the famous Mount Fuji in Japan. This is art by Tsuchiya Koitsu.

Wikipedia tells me:
Tsuchiya Koitsu (土屋光逸) was an important artist in the Shin-hanga movement.  In 1931, at the age of 60, he began work for Shōzaburō Watanabe and his art publishing establishment which also published the work of artists like Kawase Hasui and Yoshida Hiroshi. His later work incorporated light effects to increase the emotional impact of his art.


Born on September 23, 1870, in Hamamatsu, Shizuoka, Japan. His birth name was either Koichi or Sahei. He moved to Tokyo at age 15. He first had an apprenticeship for the woodblock carver Matsuzaki, but soon became a student of ukiyo-e master Kiyochika Kobayashi. He worked for Kiyochika for 19 years and lived in his house. He initially published prints made during the First Sino-Japanese War, before developing his skill with dramatic light effects, learned from Kiyochika. Koitsu published through the Watanabe publishing house after Watanabe and Koitsu met at an exhibition commemorating the 17th anniversary of Kiyochika's death.

The postcard was sent to me by Eileen in Harrisburg. She uses beautiful stamps:


Some forever stamps with typical American subjects and a Celebrate! stamp. I love them.

Today is T for Tuesday, hosted by Elizabeth and Bleubeard and we all bring a drink in our blog. Let me see what I can contribute.

Last Wednesday we drove to Albox, (70 km in the direction of the east coast). For some reason a lot of English ex-pats have settled there and there are English shops, English bars and this English restaurant called Chapman's. They serve a fantastic fish & chips. Their fish is impressive:

Hubby loved it (as did I), and there are a good few drinks in the picture to qualify for the T-Party hosted by Elizabeth and Bleubeard.

I was having Strongbow cider (hard cider  for those in America), hubby was having ice tea.

What else have we been up to? On Sunday (after church) we went to see our friends Antonia and Eusebio at their ice cream shop. Eusebio makes his own delicious ice cream made with all natural ingredients. I have no photo of  him as he was working flat out in this weather.
We both had an ice cream to eat there and then, and hubby wanted to take some home too.

He chose tutti-frutti (with pistachio in it)

Antonia is filling a tub for him.

There is the tutti-frutti (with the red maraschino cherries) and the white tub next to it to keep it cool while we were still catching up with our friends.

I have a video which shows you the ice cream shop and in which Eusebio explains the process. It's all in Spanish of course, but at least it shows you the shop and the ice cream (and our friends who make it). The other people in the video are the Mayor of Baza and two of his councilors. I hope the link works:



If it is very warm where you are, I hope the sight of all this ice cream has cooled you down a bit.

Happy T-Day all!
Hugs,
Keep smiling,
Lisca









 

12 comments:

  1. so sorry about the operation-prayers for the both of you, enjoyed the history and stamps for the postcards this week. oh yum your fish and chips looks delicious, and homemade ice cream is the best. I need to make us a batch soon I follow a keto churned recipe with no sugar.
    Happy T wishes hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sad news. Scary. I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO sorry to read about the tumor being inoperable. I hope they find a way to get it out, but I know so little about those things.

    Both postcards are great. Amazing that the Japanese one is actually from a lady in the states. I just realized these new stamps are date stamped as to date of issue. Ironic because I've seen it on some, but not others.

    Oh wow. I want the fish and chips, too. It looks like how I would cook mine. Wonderful.

    Thanks for sharing your news about Graham, your postcards, your fish and chips, and your drinks with us for T this Tuesday, Lisca.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisca my heart is with you and hubby. I'm so sorry to hear the news. i hope they will find a way to continue fighting.
    ICECREAM.. my Achilles heel.. I can walk away from most any other sweet but icecream... ?! Not this girl! It all looks wonderfully yummy .. including your fish and chips.. Ok now i'm hungry but its still breakfast time.. better get my oatmeal ... wonder if they make icecream flavored oatmeal?? lol Happy t day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear the news about the cancelled operation, that is disappointing news, hope you can find another solution. Is that mushy peas with the fish and chips? Something very English but I don't like them at all lol. The ice cream looks great, just what you need in hot weather! Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a shock :( and such disappointing news. I hope the visit with the oncologist goes well.

    The fish and chips looks right down my alley :) Yes, I'll be happy to join you ;) Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry that your husband's tumor is deemed inoperable. That must have been very disappointing and crushing. I very much hope that they can find a way to still fight it successfully.
    Thank you for the pictures of your fish and chips (I love that!) and the gelato. Yes, the video worked, it was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You asked about the red crane in my photo of Neues Rathaus. We don't know what they were doing, but we think it had something to do with taking pictures or filming the tower to check for any damages etc. Mere speculation on our side though...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am loving your postcards this week, Lisca. My favorite one is Mount Fuji. You said Eileen lives in Harrisburg, I live an hour from there.

    Your friend's ice cream shop is beautiful! And so many different flavors!

    I can imagine the disappointment about your hubby's tumor. I hope that the Dr. offers another alternative. I will be praying for you both as this you walk through this together.

    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate


    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it is wonderful that you both have a good attitude and a good faith. Sending hugs to you and prayers to our father
    God for you both. Your post cards and stamps are amazing. Lisca, thank you so much for sharing how receive the post cards. It is so interesting. I will let you do it and share with us. :) Happy T Day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry your husband's treatment has changed. I will be holding good thoughts for both of you. I enjoyed the postcards and the bit of U.S. history I was totally unaware of. I always learn something from your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect weather for ice cream. I'd have my face pressed to the ice cream case. So many delicious choices and so hard to choose. Tutti-fruitti is a great choice. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete