Tuesday 3 May 2022

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 3 May 2022 - T for Trumpeter and turtle

 Hello lovely ladies,

How are you all? We are OK. Still staying in Granada for hubby's treatment. We will go back to our village next week, but we will still have to go to Granada for a few days as through Easter and the May holiday, hubby has missed a few sessions, which we need to recuperate next week. 

I have another nice postcard for you today. It comes from the USA:


It's a historical portrait window showing 'Antony van Corlear, Trumpeter of New Amsterdam'. On the card it has the following information: Designed by Howard Pyle.  The Colonial Club, Broadway and 72nd street, New York. (1896).

Wikipedia writes:

Anthony Van Corlaer is a fictional trumpeter of New Amsterdam, appearing in Washington Irving's 1809 A History of New York and subsequent lore, most famously for supposedly heroically drowning in (and giving its name to) Spuyten Duyvil Creek in 1664. He is portrayed as a loyal follower to the real historical Peter Stuyvesant, with a contrasting boisterous temperament to the stern colonial governor.

The character and incident were sometimes later described as fact or "legend", but Washington seems to have only drawn from an account by David Pietersz. de Vries of an unnamed boisterous and pugilistic trumpeter in the colony.

This is a painting by Charles Loring Elliott, (1858, The Walters Art Museum).

In 1893 Howard Pyle painted a picture of Anthony Van Corlaer to serve as the basis for a stained glass window commissioned by the Colonial Club of New York from Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company. The window was removed at some point and on March 30, 1984, was auctioned by Christie's in New York and purchased by the Delaware Art Museum.


In Irving's story, Peter Stuyvesant, having learned of an English expedition on its way to seize the colony, ordered Van Corlaer to rouse the villages along the Hudson River with a trumpet call to war. "It was a dark and stormy night" when Van Corlaer arrived at the upper end of the island, and as no ferryman was available Van Corlaer vowed to swim across the Harlem River "in spite of the devil", but drowned in the attempt. Some sources state that Spuyten Duyvil, an inlet between Manhattan and the Bronx, is named after this incident.

Van Corlaer was famous for his enormous, shiny red nose. One story tells of a sturgeon killed by a ray of sunlight reflected off its surface. Anthony's Nose Mountain along the Hudson is said by Irving to be named for this event.

Van Corlaer's prior endeavors on behalf of Stuyvesant are mentioned several times in Washington Irving's book A History of New York. Irving also wrote the most popular account of the trumpeter's last deed, including the witness statement (which he claims to disbelieve) of Van Corlaer being seized by "the duyvel, in the shape of a huge mossbonker". This has led some modern readers, unaware that Irving's work was a parody of history, to suggest that Van Corlaer was killed by a bull shark.

Antony Van Corlear Brought Into the Presence of Peter Stuyvesant, 1839, John Quidor.

I really enjoyed this story, of which I knew nothing.
The stamps are gorgeous. The lady that sent it (called Ellen) has even included a turtle. She writes that she lives 'in rural NY state in a big old (1880) house surrounded by vineyards on the shores of a long Y-shaped lake'.


 She knew from my profile that i like turtles and has found a turtle stamp! Wonderful!

This past weekend has been a long weekend here in Spain. (Yes, another one). The first of May is a fiesta, and because it fell on a Sunday, they declared Monday a fiesta too. Sunday was also the fiesta of the cross. Every neighborhood decorates a cross and individuals do too. We don't see them as they are usually in their patios, inside the house. 



This is the cross in the village.

Because it was a long weekend, we decided to travel home after hubby's treatment on Friday. We got on the bus and a dear friend picked us up from the bus station. The weather is lovely and we are enjoying being home. 
Saturday we had Intercambio (Spanish/English practice conversation= chatting), usually held in the little building behing the cross in the above photo. But because they were assembling the display, we couldn't use the classroom there. So we went to the bar:

Hubby stayed in bed. I am the second from the right. The lady in the middle is the friend who collected us from the bus station. These people are all English speakers. The only Spanish person this evening was taking the picture!

Lastly I want to share this with you:
Elizabeth shared a song by the Eurythmics not long ago (Here comes the rain again) and it reminded me of this song: Sweet dreams are made of these. Of course I sang it with the 'cheesy' words! Didn't you?

That's it from me this week,
Have a lovely week, Take care,
Hugs,
Lisca




11 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning Lisca, I always enjoy the history you share and I didn't know anything about this one. beautiful stamps the usa does have beautiful stamps to choose from, I go through a fair amount of them so I know order at the post office site where they have everything to choose from
It must be wonderful to be back home for a bit, hoping you can enjoy the festivals Happy T Kathy

Mae Travels said...

Washington Irving was really an amazing writer of legends and imaginary history, and so much of his work is now in a sort of shared belief without realizing that he invented it. Your research is really fascinating.

Good luck with your husband's continued treatment!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Linda Kunsman said...

Thanks for sharing about Irving Washington. I have one book of his but was unaware of this story. How thoughtful of Ellen to send along a turtle stamp- love it! Sounds like she lives in a lovely home and surroundings. More and more I love peace and quiet...
Nice that you and hubby could get home for a bit and meet up with friends. The cross display in the village is so beautiful.
Must say, I never heard that funny version of the song:):) Happy T day!

Let's Art Journal said...

Such fun postcards and yes I did sing it 😁. Hope your hubby is doing ok and wishing you a Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

jinxxxygirl said...

Nothing like home Lisca! I'll bet it felt so good to be home for awhile. May Day is not celebrated much here in the US.. as far as i know.. Maybe its too close to Mother's Day for us... Happy happy Tday! Hugs! deb

Iris Flavia said...

Interesting background, I know the name Peter Stuyvesant from cigarettes they sold here.

Lucky you, Monday was a normal work-day here.
I am still sad I could only choose between French and Latin - I could´ve used Spanish so often!

Great one, I sang it!
Happy T-Day and hugs.

LA Paylor said...

I did sing that! wish I could join a nice group and try to learn spanish.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I knew about Washington Irving and also Peter Stuyvesant. That was a fascinating story. Love the stamps, too. I've never seen the boxing turtle. I bet it is rare. Love the image in the card. I see you used it as your drink reference, too.

So glad you made it home and had a good time with your friends. I hope your husband continues to improve. Thanks for sharing your drink inspired postcard, the holiday decorations, and your friends with us for T this Tuesday, Lisca.

Carola Bartz said...

Having the chat group in a bar isn't the worst thing, right? How sweet of that lady to put a turtle stamp on the postcard because she knew you like turltes. It's these little things that put a smile on our faces. How lovely that you were able to go home over the long weekend, and I hope that the treatment will help your husband.

My name is Erika. said...

I bet you were glad to be home Lisca, even if it was only for the long weekend. And that is a great story. I was vaguely familiar with it from back in my college days, and that was a long time ago. I also enjoyed reading about it though, because there was a lot I didn't know. And you asked about my bees. I am getting a second hive, and sadly, my bees didn't survive the winter. I'm not 100% sure why, but we did have a very very cold winter, much more cold than usual and that could have been why I lost them. I hope your husband gets some good news after this treatment. Take care-hugs-Erika

Kate Yetter said...

Loved all the amazing paintings and the postcard. That turtle stamp was cool. I always have loved turtles. We had one as a pet when I was a child.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate