Friday 27 August 2021

A Postcard A Day - Friday 27 August 2021 - Friday Smiles

 

Good morning lovely ladies, It is Friday again and lets look back over the week and remember the smiles and the positive things.
One of the nice things in my week is always when some happy mail arrives. This postcard is one of those moments. It was sent to me from Finland  by someone called Helka. 
As you can see it is an old fashioned advert for Kellogg's Cornflakes. As far as I know corn flakes have been around for many years. I looked it up and this is what I found:
Corn flakes, or cornflakes, are a breakfast cereal made from toasting flakes of corn (maize).The cereal, originally made with wheat, was created by William Kellogg in 1894 for patients at the Battle Creek Sanitarium where he worked and his brother John Kellogg was superintendent. The breakfast cereal proved popular among the patients and Kellogg subsequently started what became the Kellogg Company to produce corn flakes for the wider public. A patent for the process was granted in 1896, after a legal battle between the two brothers.
The flakes of grain, which the Kellogg brothers called Granose, were a very popular food among the patients. The brothers then experimented with other flakes from other grains. In 1906, Will Keith Kellogg, who served as the business manager of the sanitarium, decided to try to mass-market the new food. At his new company, Battle Creek Toasted Corn Flake Company, he added sugar to the flakes to make them more palatable to a mass audience, but this caused a rift between his brother and him. In 1907, his company ran an ad campaign which offered a free box of cereal to any woman who winked at her grocer.[6] To increase sales, in 1909 he added a special offer, the Funny Jungleland Moving Pictures Booklet, which was made available to anyone who bought two boxes of the cereal. This same premium was offered for 22 years. At the same time, Kellogg also began experimenting with new grain cereals to expand its product line. Rice Krispies, his next great hit, first went on sale in 1928.
There have been many mascots of Kellogg's Cornflakes. The most popular one is a green rooster, which has been the mascot since his debut. In early commercials, he would speak the catchphrase "Wake up, up, up to Kellogg's Cornflakes!"  The concept of using a stylized rooster originated from a suggestion by family friend Nansi Richards, a harpist from Wales and a Welsh language proponent. The Welsh word for "rooster" is ceiliog (pronounced kayleeog or in some dialects kaylog), sounding similar to Kellogg's name. The red green and white colours are also possibly inspired by the colours of the Welsh flag. 

The stamp is really cute. It shows a child mailing something in a postbox. 
.

It comes from a series about postboxes:

Lots of different ones. They do make me smile too.

Now to my week:
I can tell by the weather that autumn is nearing. Where it has been between 35 and 40 degrees, it is now between 35 and 28. Much better and actually pleasant. We have also seen some clouds sometimes, with even a few drops of rain. And I mean a few drops. One can count them: 8 or 9 drops!
On Friday I made a card for my son's birthday and made a cake. Hubby found a pair of sunglasses in the car, probably belonging to one of our grandsons. I cot the air fryer out and cooked some chips for a change.
On Sunday we had some more clouds. I cooked a chicken curry with some leftover chicken. I cook brown rice in my Instant Pot. Comes out perfect every time. Has anyone else got an Instant Pot?

On Monday I made a Spanish omelet. I add spinach to mine. (the Spanish roll their eyes when they see this, but we like it).
I have also added some art by Shamsia Hassani, an Afghan graffiti artist promoting women. See my blog from Tuesday for more. Anyway, I bet everyone has been inundated with her art as she is all over the Internet.

Tuesday it rained properly for the first time since spring. It is so much needed! We went out for lunch and we invited a friend who used to live near us, but has recently moved to the area near the restaurant. In the evening hubby and I visited our friends . Hubby gives him plumbing advice as it is something he is good at. I chatted with her.

Wednesday was a very domestic day. Just poddling along at home. Yesterday's rain has left a layer of brown sand on everything! I cooked pork chops with fruit and some herby roast potatoes.
Then yesterday was the big day when our chickens would arrive. The hen house has been ready for more than a month. We got a phone call earlier this week that we could collect on Thursday. And here they are, our five ladies. We purposely got different types, one of each. 
Next week you will hear more about our chickens, but for now I'm going to visit Annie at A Stitch In Time and Virginia at Rocking Your World Friday. 
And as per usual, there will be some funnies at the end.

Take care everyone, 
Keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca

























7 comments:

Celtic house said...

Oh you look like you've had a great week, mine is a bit of a hotch potch when you read it this week blame trying to get this done in my tablet lol. Can't wait to see how the chickens work out hope they settle in and you get eggs soon, the herman cake looks fab as always

mamapez5 said...

I see you had sandy rain like us. At least it still watered the plants! I went to Lidls this morning and bought a whole chicken so I will see how the rotisserie goes on Sunday. I was interested to read about your combi microwave. I had one once (never used it properly as I was still cooking for a family), but my microwave has a special 'space' above the cooker and I am not sure a combi would fit in there.
I have an Instant pot and love it. I use it all the time in the winter, but not so much now. I cook white rice using the Rice setting but I guess brown would need to be cooked for longer.
I hope your chickens settle in well. They are a lovely distinct set. My son tried to keep them several times but he always lost them to urban foxes, despite paying a lot for a supposedly safe run and house. I hope yours' fare better. Enjoy getting to know them. Kate x

Iris Flavia said...

I never bknew about the rooster! Interesting story and very cute stamp!
Wow on the chicken!
Some busy week and ohhhh, I want a cat.

Annie said...

I’m late visiting again this week. When I have a couple of days off then I have to make up for it and have been really busy since I got home.
Another wonderful week for you Lisca. It’s definitely cooler here too...sadly. I love your new feathered friends...what lovely colours they are.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Annie thinks she's late so what does that make me Lol! Got tied up with stuff today so making a quick visit but loving the funnies. Loving the chickens too they are so sweet and look forward to seeing more of them. Have a lovely weekend, hugs Angela xXx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Seems I'm even later than everyone else, Lisca. I knew this was going to happen, though. Still, I didn't want to miss another Friday Smiles.

I grew up eating Kellogg's corn flakes. In fact, I think I have some now. I know I have some oats by Kellogg's. I actually knew how this product came about.

You had a really productive week and you sure eat a LOT. If I ate as much as you every day, I'd be waddling. Lovely new chickens. I hope they settle in OK. Have a super rest of the weekend, Lisca.

DVArtist said...

Sorry I am late. You have had another extremely busy week. Glad you got some rain. We have not had rain for over 45 days. That is pretty unusual for us. Happy birthday to your son too.