Tuesday 13 July 2021

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 13 July 2021 - T for windows, donkeys and kombucha

Hello lovely ladies,
Here I am again. I have three postcards for you this time as I have got so many to get through. The theme this time is 'windows'.
I am fascinated by windows and doors and I write that in my profile, so I get all sorts from all over the world. This first one comes to me from the Czech Republic. 
Of course it doesn't say where this particular house is, but it is just an interesting photo. We had shutters like that in Italy, so it could be Italy...
The stamp is beautiful and has several birds.

Emberiza Calandra, (corn bunting), emberiza citrinella (matchstick bunting), emberiza schoeniklus (reed bunting), emberiza hortulana (ortolan bunting).

The second postcard is a German house. To be precise, it is a house on an island called Baltrum .
Baltrum is a barrier island off the coast of East Frisia, in Germany. It is located in-between the chain of the seven inhabited East Frisian Islands. Baltrum is the smallest island in this chain by area and inhabitants. They call it the Sleeping Beauty of the North Sea.
It looks very beautiful.
Below you can see it on the map. Baltrum is the fourth island from the left.


The stamp is the usual one with the metro station Marienplatz in Munich.
My third card comes from Russia. It is sent to me by Sacha, who tells me it is minus 1 degree C (30F) on the 22nd of March.

On the side are the words: The Autumntime. The card has all chinese characters on the back. It's an interesting house. I wouldn't like to live on the top floor, as it doesn't look like the kind of house that has an elevator.
The stamps are very pretty. 

As it is T for Tuesday, hosted by Elizabeth and Bluebeard, I will show you one (or more) drinks. It really should be champagne as it is the 8th anniversary of the T-Party. 

I have started making kombucha again. I managed to get a scoby off a friend (scoby is the culture needed to ferment). I ferment sweet tea, when that is ready after about two weeks, I put them in sealable bottles for a second fermentation with raspberries.
This is my second batch. We started drinking the first batch.
That was at supper a few days ago. We had a sandwich with a bit of salad and a melon.

I still go walking three or four mornings a week at 8 in the morning (Yes, I know that is early but it is sooo hot here)
On Saturday we came across a man and his donkey (not unusual here, they still use donkeys for work or carrying stuff)

When he got closer we saw that he had decorated the animal in traditional trimmings (don't know what they are called)
The young lady let me take pictures.
And the donkey didn't care less.

Hubby came back with a bowl of apricots the other day. The were quite ripe, so I decided to make pie filling. 
Then I baked a cake with the recipe of a Dutch appeltaart. (Only in stead of apples, I put apricot puree in) The pastry is butter, sugar and some flour. Very rich.


Yesterday I made another cake as my herman is like a sourdough. I have to use it every ten days.
I had been juicing lots of oranges, so I have been able to grate the zest. I made an orange pecan cake, with an icing made with orange juice and icing sugar. 
In the photo I had just tried it to see if it was OK before giving a quarter to a friend. I don't follow recipes for my Herman cakes. I just add what I think it needs. Anyway, it is delicious and I have already given quite a bit away. Most people are happy to receive is chunk of cake.

That is it from me today. 
Have a lovely week and
Happy T-Day!
Take care,
Lisca

















 





 

18 comments:

  1. I'm always hungry when I visit you, Lisca. Your posts are always filled with lots of food and sweets. I like the looks of all of them.

    Your postcards are beautiful and I was really impressed with the Island of Baltrum. Of course the donkey was the stunner of the day. What a beauty and the people letting you photograph it and the adorable rider.

    I hope your latest batch of kombucha turns out great. BTW, I also draw my 7s like you do yours. Computer classes taught me that.

    Thank you so very much for sharing your postcards (and stamps), your early morning walks, the donkey, your meals, and your kombucha with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca. Incidentally, I am out every morning around 6:30 to water my herbs. Any later and the heat is too consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cakes must be absolutely delicious. I love those combinations of flavors and ingredients. Lucky you to have fresh ripe apricots.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisca your cakes looks so delicious we love apricots.
    I always enjoy reading the history of your postcards-pretty stamps too. enjoyed seeing the pretty girl on the donkey too-Happy T wishes Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love that first postcard especially- I too love old rustic European windows and doors. Thanks for sharing about the German islands too- I am quite unfamiliar with regards to them.
    How nice you could get photos of the decorated donkey and lovely young woman riding him. And what a wonderful batch of drink and cakes you have made!! I love when apricots are in season. Nice light supper you and hubby had for such a hot day. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. More interesting postcards this week Lisca; doors and windows are a great theme. I like to walk early also, eight o'clock is a good time to go. But I have never seen something so interesting as that beautiful girl and her donkey. And thanks for mentioning your herman. I hadn't heard of that and I looked it up. It was really interesting reading and I think I need to start one also. Thanks for that. Your baking looks amazing, so many yummy things. Enjoy your kombucha and have a fantastic T day too. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your kombucha looks nice and fizzy. I need to get back to making it as it has been a while. Your apricot filling looks SO good. I don't think we can grow apricots in our climate and they are quite pricey to buy. But I love them, especially dipped in chocolate.
    Your sourdough cake sounds and looks delicious. Is this a family recipe?
    I too love doors and windows, especially the ones with peeling paint. Love your postcards this week.
    The trimmings on the donkey are beautiful!
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely postcards and stamps, and your cakes look divine. I'm drooling at the thought of the cake with apricot filling, yummy. Kombucha is good, I used to make lot back in the 90s. Lovely photos from the girl on the donkey, too. Happy T Day, enjoy your great baked goodies, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. For once I got beautiful stamps (Ingo bought them) so if you like give me your address via flaviakaiser@gmx.de.

    Oh. I´ve been to Norderney and Langeoog. And Benserdiel, FUN pic of my lille Bro there. In Grossheide my Mum had a love before she met my Dad.
    Greetsiel, we´ve been too, thank you for the memories!
    Emden!!! My BIL lives there!

    22C here, -1, no thanks!
    But you´d be super-fit living in that house ;-)

    Ohhhh. Your drink and food looks yummy!!
    8 is early?? Hahaha... I took off 05:12 when I was working. I so miss this.
    22C here.
    Such a cute donkey!

    Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy T Day Lisca, beautiful baking, I love Apricots and Apple cake too.
    The drink looks and sounds delicious, I've never heard of it before.
    Interesting postcards and stamps, it's a shame but today when I posted three birthday cards they didn't put stamps on them, I had those printed labels.
    I'd love to live on an island, msut be peaceful!!
    Enjoy your day, the heat has been tiring so keep cool.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, you are such a talented cook and bottler! I am so impressed and those cakes look so fabulous. Amazing stuff and I know I would totally love both. The postcards and stamps are very cool and I loved looking at them (still the food stold the show...). Happy T day, Lisca and loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy 8th T on Tuesday Anniversay! Oh my! donkeys and cake and homemake bottled drinks! Such tallented Tea-sters you all are!
    Have a great crafty week ((Lyn))

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never had kombucha, but I love raspberries. You've given me a taste for apricots :) It's been a long time since I had any. Love the donkey photos! Cool! It's not surprising that people are happy to receive some of your cake. Looks delicious! Happy T Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful postcards, I love the shutters with all the lovely layers of paint - perfect 😁. That sandwich looks great with all the fruit and your bakes look delicious too! Happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a nice post. I love that first photo. The girl on the donkey is so cute. Lots of nice cakes too. Have a great Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lisca, you had me at raspberry, then again with apricot. It all sounds so good. I also walk early because it got into the high 90sF. I walked at 8 today, but when it gets this hot, I usually walk at 7 or earlier.
    Thanks for a great TSFT post. Happy T Day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful postcards. Yummy treats. That dressed up donkey had me smiling.
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful postcards, Lisca! And I especially like the bird stamp. Beautiful photos of the donkey and the young lady. And yummy cakes! I wrote an answer to your question about the 405 flour on my blog, but I'm not sure, you have the messages activated, so here it is: Hi Lisca, the 405 flour is the one that was written in the recipe. The 550 should be perfectly fine, Sometimes our mill, where I buy my flour, doesn't have the 405, then I buy 550. 850 might be ok, too, but you might need a bit more water. Enjoy, if you bake it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The island looks like Enders Island, the little island where I go for the sacred art retreat. The donkey looks cute in his traditional trappings. My area has been having a heatwave, but not as high as your temps. Look you have a 42 on your weather station! Your cakes look beautiful! I'd be more than happy to receive a chunk of cake! Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete