Friday 16 July 2021

A Postcard A Day - Friday 16 July 2021 - Friday Smiles

 Hello lovely ladies,

Another Friday Smiles blog. We have plenty to smile about. Have you? 

A card in my mailbox always makes me smile. Today I want to share a beautiful postcard from Florida, USA. It features an aerial view of Everglades National Park which reveals the distinctive profiles of hammocks. These mounds of dry land support an array of subtropical life.

The National Park website gives me this info: A hardwood hammock is a dense stand of broad-leafed trees that grow on a natural rise of only a few inches in elevation. Hammocks can be found nestled in most all other Everglades ecosystems. In the deeper sloughs and marshes, the seasonal flow of water helps give these hammocks a distinct aerial teardrop shape.



Many tropical species such as mahogany (Swietenia mahogoni), gumbo limbo (Bursera simaruba), and cocoplum (Chrysobalanus icaco) grow alongside the more familiar temperate species of live oak (Quercus virginiana), red maple (Acer rubum), and hackberry (Celtis laevigata). This diverse assemblage of plant life supports an equally diverse array of wildlife.



Because of their slight elevation, hammocks rarely flood. Acids from decaying plants dissolve the limestone around each tree island, creating a natural moat that protects the hammock plants from fire. Shaded from the sun by the tall trees, ferns and airplants thrive in the moisture-laden air of these hammocks.

The stamps on this card are beautiful. I am particularly interested in the large one with an image of nuclear physicist Chien.Shiung Wu.


Wikipedia writes this about her:
Chien-Shiung Wu ( May 31, 1912 – February 16, 1997) was a Chinese-American particle and experimental physicist who made significant contributions in the fields of nuclear and particle physics. Wu worked on the Manhattan Project, where she helped develop the process for separating uranium into uranium-235 and uranium-238 isotopes by gaseous diffusion. She is best known for conducting the Wu experiment, which proved that parity is not conserved. This discovery resulted in her colleagues Tsung-Dao Lee and Chen-Ning Yang winning the 1957 Nobel Prize in Physics, while Wu herself was awarded the inaugural Wolf Prize in Physics in 1978. Her expertise in experimental physics evoked comparisons to Marie Curie. Her nicknames include the "First Lady of Physics", the "Chinese Madame Curie" and the "Queen of Nuclear Research"

I love to read about women who have accomplished great things in a time when women weren't allowed to do much. That makes me smile indeed.

What have I been up to this past week?

On Friday morning I went walking with my friend and her dog. We came past a herb processing plant. They grow lots of herbs around here: Lavender, Thyme, oregano, majoram and rosemary etc. The JBC was lifting herbs into a sort of burner (there was smoke) .
On Saturday morning we went walking again and we met this man and his donkey (with a sweet young lady). 
In the evening it started to rain, but that didn't last more than 10 minutes, so we could have our 'Intercambio' meeting in the park. (English speakers that want to practice Spanish, and Spanish speakers that want to practice English)



Sunday was very hot again (40 degrees) and we watched the church services. I also baked a cake in the evening as well as a courgette gratin as we were given a huge courgette.






On Monday hubby had rented a lorry plus driver to go and get some greenhouse frames that were for sale secondhand. It also had the netting to cover it.




On Tuesday we had lunch at our favorite restaurant. Outside the restaurant was a peach vendor. He also sold cherries. So we bought a kilo of each. He grows them locally.
I received a parcel from the USA with a vintage mini loom in it. I will tell you more about that in my Tuesday blog.

I'm getting ready for a visit from my sister and her husband. Here hubby is putting up a hand rail in the shower and also two towel rails in the bathroom. 
Then yesterday we went into Baza to collect this new residential permit for hubby. It is called a TIE and it is something all UK passport holders must have now that the UK is no longer in the EU. It is a handy little credit card size card, similar to a driving license. I asked if I could have one too, but I am not British, so the answer was 'no'. I have to still use the large green sheet of paper. Bummer!
We had come on the scooter, which is easy to park and lovely to ride in this heat. We stopped at a bar for a beer. This particular bar has very nice alcohol free beers, so we tend to stop there, as hubby can't have alcohol. We like a type of beer called 'tostada'.


That was my week. How was yours? Please join us at Annie's at A Stitch In Time and at Virginia at Rocking Your World Friday.

As usual, I have some funnies at the end.

Enjoy your weekend,
Take care,
Hugs,
Lisca



















8 comments:

DVArtist said...

A lovely post for catching up. Great funnies too. BTW the beef jerky is eaten dried. We don't rehydrate it. It is delicious. Have a wonderful evening.

Iris Flavia said...

I´ve never heard of the Wolf Prize! Nor of Wu! I always love coming here, learning new things!

Intercambio sounds like a great idea.
Hmmm cherries. And a great scooter.

Love the first joke, oh, bummer, that´s how I will leave this world!

mamapez5 said...

Another busy week Lisca. I think it is too hot to walk here even at 8,00, and I am afraid I am not sufficiently motivated. We tend to be night owls so we go to bed too late to be up early. I am awake by 8.00 but I don't usually get up until nearer 9.00.
I did n't know you have a scooter. It looks very smart. I imagine it is nice and cool to ride, but I wouldn't feel very safe on one around here. And most of the places we go to, we would have to go a long way round to avoid the motorway.
I am interested in your herman cakes. I found them very wasteful as so much had to be discarded. Also they have a lot of sugar in them. But I would like to see your starter recipe and follow on instructions one day, to see whether it differs from mine much.
I see we both bought cherries again. They were lovely this week. I made cherry jam one year and it sold very well. (I sell my jam for church funds and the local food bank), but it is too hot to stand over a steaming pan this week.
It was interesting to read about the Hammocks in the Everglades. There is still so much to learn about the world around us.
I am glad Graham doesn't have to worry about chemo any more for now. I hope they can improve his bloods though. Kate x

Annie said...

Sorry I'm so late with my visits...I've taken in 5 tops for me this morning [it's what is needed when you lose weight :-)] and made another school Memory bear....a busy morning.
You sound to have had a really busy week again Lisca. I didn't know you had a scooter....what fun and perfect in the heat I'm sure. I have had a good giggle at the funnies this week....keep them coming.
Have a great week.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

That's really interesting about the Everglades as I've never seen an overhead view before. I noticed that you have lots of apricots but for some reason we don't seem yo have many in the UK at the moment, don't know why. Loving the funnies, we need a smile now and then! Now you asked me about Lincoln and the Airforce and I don't know where to start. Apart from farming Lincoln is famous for Aviation. I believe the Air Force bases probably came here because there is a lot of flat land and we're not far from the coast either. Scampton is the home of the Red arrows but it will close next year so they will be relocated to Waddington. The other important military airbase is Cranwell where they still train officers and Prince Charles was there for a while. During the wartime there were 46 active bases. It was mostly bombers and the manufacture of these. I could go on but I'm leaving you a link which you might find interesting:
https://www.visitlincoln.com/aviation
Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Lynn Holland said...

Ooh sorry I’m to busy wiping my eyes after laughing so much at all your funnies.
In between chuckles I’ll just mention we’ve been to the Everglades. It was part of our honeymoon trip in 1989. Hubby hated it, couldn’t stand the noise of the hovercraft as we journeyed through the glades.
Have a lovely week Lisca
Lynn xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I know I'm late visiting, and have no excuse except I was busy all day running endless errands. I'm glad you shared your Everglades card. I thought Kansas was humid and sticky in summer, but the Everglades are sticky and bug filled all year long! I DID enjoy traveling on the water in a hovercraft, but I would have preferred to be the driver, rather than the idiot at the wheel (a friend of mine I visited).

You always make me hungry when I visit. You show so much food. Loved a couple of the funnies. You picked some good ones, especially the cat and his litter box. Hope you have a great week and enjoy your time with your sister when she gets there.

Virginia said...

Oh I'm late I had a crazy day yesterday work and then hosting a birthday party and after my guests had gone I simply climbed in bed, so I've had the joy of tidying up this morning and catching up on the lovely rocking posts.

You look like you've had a busy week, I didn't know you had a scooter, that was something new to me, I'm always on the look out for new alcohol free drinks, it is always fun to see how close they are to the alcoholic version but the big tell for me as to whether I will have them again is if they give me a hangover (yep the alcohol free ones lol). The greenhouse frame looks huge, you'll have to share it once it is fully up so we can see it. I also wondered what they were doing with the herbs if it was a burner - most confusing.

The plum filling looks lovely too.

Have a brilliant weekend and week ahead

Hugs