Friday 9 July 2021

A Postcard A Day - Friday 9 July 2021 - Friday Smiles

 

Hello lovely ladies! Here I am again with some smiles. Whatever life throws at us, we continue to make lemonade if you get my meaning. Actually, with this heatwave, lemonade is literally what we want.

I have a very unusual card to show you. It is the Ladybird Cinderella story. I used to read this to my son (who is now in his mid forties). 


The unusual bit about this postcard is, is that it is made of wood (Plywood?). Take a look yourself:

It was sent to me by someone called Michelle who lives on the island of Guernsey. This is one of the islands in the British Channel, near the coast of France. For those who don't know where Guernsey is:
Here is a satellite photo:
The island on the left is Guernsey. My husband was born on the island and lived there as a child, as his mother (my mother in law) is a Guernsey woman. People from Guernsey are called Sarnians. The ancient Romans named the island Sarnia. (No, not Narnia).
The stamps are beautiful. (Thank you Michelle). The one on the right even says: 'Happy Postcrossing'! 

 

The one in the middle is a green finch and the stamp on the left is a black and white photo of the British royal couple. It is from a series of stamps  50 Years Royal Couple.

I've had a good week, although it has been very hot. Monday my friend needed to get certain patio chairs and I accompanied her on a trip to Granada (one hour and a half by car) to try and find what she had in mind.
The trip was successful and we rewarded ourselves with coffee and cake. The pastry we had is a Granada speciality called Pionono (I misspelt it on my collage). It is named after Pope Pio the ninth (In Spanish Pio Nono). I wrote about it in my previous blog post.


Saturday was a quiet day and we didn't do much as it was so hot.

Sunday was even hotter (42 degree C or 107 F). We watched our usual two church services. One of them had a virtual communion. So I poured out two little glasses of Port by ways of wine and a Dutch dry biscuit (Knappertje) was the bread. It was very beautiful.
The gym has shut for the summer (too hot) and my friend and I go walking on the days that we would have gone to the gym. On the way are about ten exercise contraptions, so at 8 am we start with those. Her husband and dog come along too. We usually walk about 4,5 km.

Because it is so hot that we keep all the doors and windows shut, we forgot to shade the plants out on the patio. Some of them got severe sunburn. (Hubby's gooseberry)
Tuesday evening we went to see a friend in the village who has just started with chickens. We wanted to see hers as hubby is also making a chicken coop.

Wednesday morning we went walking again. I showed my friend where the capers grow and showed her the magnificent flower. Isn't it beautiful?
I'm also making Kombucha again. I do a second fermentation with raspberries (defrosted). I have tried many fruits but this is our favorite.

Yesterday we went to see the oncologist again. For 5 or 6 weeks in a row, hubby's platelets were too low to have chemotherapy. Again, today, his platelets had not gone up. As the chemo was really preventative, the docs have decided to stop the chemo as it seems to be doing more harm than good. He will be referred to a hematologist to check if there is some underlying problem with the blood and of course they will keep a close eye on him with tests and scans, but for now life can go back to a bit of normality. No wonder he is smiling!
The other smile is the fact that we have now ordered our chickens. Five chickens, all different. We start with those and see which ones we like best. They will take about two weeks to arrive. I'll keep you posted on that.

I will post some funnies at the end so you can be smiling too.
Wishing you all a lovely weekend (Bear a thought for us as temperatures are going to hit 40 again this weekend!)
Hugs,
Lisca














4 comments:

Celtic house said...

Oh those temperatures don't sound like much fun at the moment, hope you manage to remain cool this weekend. I love your little wooden postcard, I actually remember having that ladybird book as a child I'm glad your shopping trip was productive and you managed to sort the chairs. I can imagine the gym being too hot so well done you for keeping it up even in the summer using a walk and outdoor equipment. Your courgette dish looks lovely and how beautiful are the caper flowers, I had no idea they were so pretty. The smile on your hubby's face says it all, I'm glad they've come up with another plan with regard to his platelets, fingers crossed no underlying issues and he can just crack on, hope the chicken coup proves a success. Have a beautiful and blessed weekend and week ahead. Hugs

Iris Flavia said...

Lucky you with a heatwave. 17C here, that´s not summer!
Nice card and there are postcrossing-stamps, wow.
Never knew capers have flowers!Good your Hubby is at good doctors. And... send some temps over, please, I´m wearing a jumper!

The cow is my fav :-)

Lynn Holland said...

Can you send some of that heat over to Lancashire please. I’ll swap it you for some rain.
We’ve holidayed in jersey, guernsey and sark all beautiful places and we really enjoyed ourselves.
I’ve had a good chuckle at the funnies and smiled alongside hubby. I know the problem hasn’t gone away but he does look lovely with a big smile on his face. Give him a cuddle from me.
Lynn xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My sincere apologies for not visiting sooner. My body just shut down. In between hosting T Stands For Tuesday, I spent Monday and Tuesday cleaning my house for a friend’s first visit. On Wednesday I visited every person who linked to WOYWW as well as those who had new posts on my sidebar. That was all either before or after I mowed my yard. On Thursday, I entertained a friend, then visited everyone who had posted something new on my sidebar. I barely stayed awake to link at Annie’s, then went to bed. When I woke a few hours later, my body simply wouldn’t function like it should. I couldn’t even bring myself to look at the computer, even though I felt so very guilty for not visiting anyone. I sincerely hope you will understand. Sadly, that’s what happens when you have to do it all yourself! Then I saw your meals and got very hungry. Instead of leaving a comment, I stopped to fix a meal. Then I promptly fell asleep.

Love the stamp of the Queen. She has sure aged over the years. that's a very unique postcard, too. Must have cost a lot more to send in addition to the postcrossing stamp.

Nice that you two got to see another chicken coop and have now ordered five chickens. Are you raising them for eggs? I guess the news is good for Graham and his low platelet count, but I hope his tests turn out well.

Glad you are walking now that the gym is too hot to work out there. Those fitness stations look interesting.

You gave us some good funnies this week. I LOVE the Math for Dummies and the condensed milk cow. Cute. Hope you had a great Friday and are having a super weekend. Again, sorry I'm late visiting.