Tuesday 30 April 2024

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 30 April 2024 - T for Louisiana, Orange , Oz and a printer.

Hello lovely peeps,

Here we are again on Tuesday and visiting the T-Party hosted by Elizabeth and Bluebeard. All is well here and it's raining today!! (Monday) and it's cold and I have the heating on! Incredible. I have already put all my winter clothes away because we've had nearly a month of summer. Crazy. 

On Friday I went to the post office to collect my mail and there were six postcards among the bills. And also last week I received my new printer/scanner, so I can now scan my cards again, rather than photograph them with my phone.  So here is today's postcard:

It comes from the USA of course and it is a Lou Paper design card, which I like a lot. I like it because it teaches me about a place I don't know in a fun way.

One of the images  (top right) is The Sazerac:

The Sazerac is a local variation of a cognac or whiskey cocktail originally from New Orleans, named for the Sazerac de Forge et Fils brand of cognac brandy that served as its original main ingredient. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz Rye whiskey or Cognac, 1/4 oz Absinthe, One sugar cube, Three dashes Peychaud's Bitters.

Another picture on the postcard is that of a Louisiana beignet. 


What is a beignet? To put it simply, beignets are square shaped pieces of dough that are deep fried and generously sprinkled with confectioners sugar. They’re best served hot and are best paired with a cup of coffee, or café au lait!

Now I'm beginning to get hungry. There is more food though. I can see gumbo!

Gumbo is a stew that is popular in the U.S. state of Louisiana, and is the official state cuisine. Gumbo consists primarily of a strongly flavored stock, meat or shellfish, a thickener, and the Creole "holy trinity" – celery, bell peppers, and onions. Wikipedia

I see okra and chili peppers on the card. And then the 'pièce de la resistance' is the crayfish. I'm not familiar with the crayfish but it looks a lot like a lobster.
Pioneer woman writes:
And what exactly are these creatures that look like miniature lobsters? Also referred to as crawdads, crayfish, or mudbugs, crawfish aren't fish at all—they're crustaceans that live in fresh water, like rivers and marshes. Slightly sweet, they taste like a cross between their cousins, lobster and shrimp.

I think I need to visit Louisiana, as it seems they eat well.

What else can I tell you about this past week. I've been playing with my new printer/scanner. It's a bit pathetic that I can get excited about a new printer. But it prints on both sides so when I print out a recipe for instance, I get the recipe on one piece of paper in stead of two (saving a few trees heehee). 
It has huge ink reservoirs so no more empty cartridges. It prints via wifi from all my devices and scans like a dream (straight to my laptop). I'm a happy bunny.

My friend from England, who came to stay, left me a present in the room so when I went in there to clean the room I found a parcel. It contained this fun tea towel and a thank-you card:
It is Australian with all the typical Aussie things on it (She had recently visited Oz).

On the 27th of April it was the King's Birthday in the Netherlands. An important fun occasion which is televised, so I watched Dutch television and was glued to the screen all morning on Saturday:
Everybody dressed in orange. (I've just noticed that my red coffee mug is just about visible on the little glass table).

I've just taken a picture out of the window: There is snow on the mountain! (Can you see it?)

Brrrr, it's cold and I have the stove lit.

I'm leaving you with an extraordinary beehive. I found it on the Internet:

 🐝This photo was taken by the owner of a hive. The beekeeper forgot to put the frames in which the bees collect honey, and the bees built their own architecture from the honeycomb, which takes into account natural ventilation, so that the air can flow freely and maintain a stable temperature. This is the heart!🐝



Isn't it amazing!

Happy T-Day to all (My T-Party drink is The Sazerac cocktail on the postcard),

Hugs,

Lisca


6 comments:

DVArtist said...

Hey getting excited about a new printer is OKay. I have the same ink situation with my Canon. I love that the ink lasts so long. Nice cards from Louisiana. I can tell you that the food there is out of this world delicious. Nice gift from you friend. Ahhhh so the King and I have the same birthday. Mine in not televised. LOL Yes, the bee hive is amazing. Have a nice day today.

Cloudia said...

Beautiful 😍

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a great postcard of Louisiana. Much of it revolves around New Orleans. The thickener in the gumbo is the okra. Slimy stuff when cooked that way, but great when fried.

I considered the Epson you have when I was getting a new printer. But I was so pleased with my black laser printer, I learned one that takes color was not that much more expensive than the Epson. And NO ink, so if a page gets wet, I won't lose with the toner, but the ink will smear. Although it took me forever to figure out how to use it, I now wouldn't trade my color laser printer for anything with ink. I am glad you are happy with your new printer. Does it take cardstock?

I bet Iris will simply adore that Aussie tea towel. Unfortunately, I didn't see a black swan.

How nice you got to see the King's birthday. And the mug of coffee is really clpse to orange, too.

I suspect Erika is going to love that heart. I can't believe how smart bees must be in order to create that on their own.

Thanks for sharing your week with us, the postcard, and both drinks for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.



Mae Travels said...

Your week looks great. I liked your Louisiana card — many years ago I was there and ate all those things. We were younger then, and able to eat breakfast, lunch, an early dinner AND a late dinner to be sure we tried all the best. The photos of the recently-discovered synagogue (prev. post) are totally breathtaking — I’ll have to look up more info.

Have a good week… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

I enjoyed your post today Lisca. That is a cool postcard. I visited New Orleans many years back, and the food there is amazing. I didn't try one of those drinks though. Instead I tired a hurricane, which is another popular drink there. And crayfish are tiny lobsters. They are obviously not as meaty as big lobsters. (And I am partial to our local big ones, but crayfish are yummy too, no doubt.) Now I want to go back and eat some more of their food. Have fun with your new printer. And I have seen similar hive photos like that. if you forget to put frames in the bees will create very cool beeswax configurations. And this one looks like it has a lot of honey too. I have a new batch of bees to install in a hive today. Too bad it's a little chilly, but they're going in. Have a great T day and week ahead. hugs-Erika

Violetta said...

Very nice post. I would like to taste the Sazerac.
Have a good time and all the best
Violetta